Level 80 boost failed

I bought and played GW2 for about a year after it launched. I bought the PoF / HoT package awhile back but only just recently decided to give it a whirl.

So I make a new character, and I immediately try to use my level 80 boost. Nothing happens. I got a pack of dyes and some 15 slot bags but my character is not level 80 and I didn't get the box of gear I thought I was supposed to get. Apparently I should have been teleported to the Silverwastes as well, but that also didn't happen. My girlfriend helped me get to the Silverwasts once I got out of the intro story but talking to the boost npc did not help.

Now, I was in the new character intro zone, and I had no idea you weren't supposed to be able to use the boost there.

When I tried to look up why it failed, I saw this on the wiki: "Cannot be activated in the starting area tutorial mission, as the following message will occur instead: You must complete the tutorial before you can use this level-boost item." - that did not happen. The boost was consumed and all I got were the dyes and bags.

I put in a support ticket and asked for the boost to be refunded. I waited a few days, then just leveled the character by myself. It took 15 days for the response of "Sorry, we won't refund a level 80 boost once it's been consumed." I tried 3 times to explain that the boost didn't work, and they are adamant they won't refund it. Why? I had no idea I wasn't supposed to use the boost in the intro story. It didn't say as much on the boost description and I got no error messages. It shouldn't have done this. Is there ANY way I can convince support to refund my boost so I can use it on a different character?

You have to use it in the Silverwastes. There is a NPC who initiates everything when you talk to them. GW2 Wiki could have answered this for you within a minute: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Level-80_Boost

No idea why it was decided to be handled this way by the devs, but that's how it works. Probably so that newbies won't use it on their first character.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> You have to use it in the Silverwastes. There is a NPC who initiates everything when you talk to them. GW2 Wiki could have answered this for you within a minute: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Level-80_Boost

>

> No idea why it was decided to be handled this way by the devs, but that's how it works. Probably so that newbies won't use it on their first character.

No, you can use it anywhere as a beginner and it ports you to the silverwastes and automatically updates your build, level, and gear. I just did this recently.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> You have to use it in the Silverwastes. There is a NPC who initiates everything when you talk to them. GW2 Wiki could have answered this for you within a minute: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Level-80_Boost

>

> No idea why it was decided to be handled this way by the devs, but that's how it works. Probably so that newbies won't use it on their first character.

Right.. I looked at the wiki afterwards, trying to figure out why it didn't work. At the very bottom, it says: "Cannot be activated in the starting area tutorial mission, as the following message will occur instead: You must complete the tutorial before you can use this level-boost item."

I should have gotten an error, but I didn't. It was consumed anyways without actually boosting me or teleporting me to the Silverwastes.

Then you should report it to the support.

The more precise you can specify date and time (with your timezone) of this failed usage the easier the support can handle your request.

Still the support seems to be heavily overloaded, don’t expect an answer within a week.

> @"Abaros.6784" said:

> It was consumed anyways without actually boosting me or teleporting me to the Silverwastes.

I missed that part. That's totally confusing and needs to be corrected. I am certain support will help you out if you explain it to them now that you know why it did not work.

Weird, I used it once and it worked fine. You had to do that first few quests until you kill a dude with a cinematic and right after you can boost and do the stuff you need to do. Before the first dude I got errors, if I understand correctly you could use it but only got some items? I’m sure they’ll give you another. Kind of lame if they don’t as it has a 25 euro value.