Mount skins feel a bit underwhelming

Shafi.8952

Some bones painted on the mount. Glowing eyes. Option to dye entire body. A bit of ghostly fog animation.

The griffon and the springer looks comical, the raptor is decent if you want more dye channels and only the skimmer and jackle looks & feels right.

The skins would have looked better if they were reanimated skeletons of the mounts instead of just some bone patterns painted over the mount.

But I guess since these are the first set of mount skins, people will buy them regardless since they have no other gemstore skins to compare to.

They are saving the good skins for later to maximise profit. Just like with the glider skins. They managed to merge back skins with glider skins and also give us glider skins that look nothing like gliders so don't tell me that they don't have the skills/time to make a bony dinosaur skeleton frame for the raptor mount.

Also explains why the mount skins are in a pack rather then individual sets - people would not buy certain skins and only buy skins for mounts they like and use regularly.

Having the first mount skins be in a pack was also rather clever. If people complain, they can sell skins individually but at a higher price each.

If they sold the first mount skins individually, people would not buy packs of those skins unless the pack sold at a lower price.

Edit: The mounts are overwhelming. The mount skins are underwhelming.

Not many people can distinguish the two.

I feel like Anet have boxed themselves into a corner with the way they have implemented mounts, we are forced into using a specific mount because its faster rather than using a mount that you find visually appealing, I'm really not finding the idea of having 50 different raptor skins appealing, when in other games I can have every animal under the sun, Anet tried to be clever with masteries for mounts but it will 100% backfire just like Season 1.

> @Vavume.8065 said:

> I feel like Anet have boxed themselves into a corner with the way they have implemented mounts, we are forced into using a specific mount because its faster rather than using a mount that you find visually appealing, I'm really not finding the idea of having 50 different raptor skins appealing, when in other games I can have every animal under the sun, Anet tried to be clever with masteries for mounts but it will 100% backfire just like Season 1.

What exactly backfired?

> @FOX.3582 said:

> > @Vavume.8065 said:

> > I feel like Anet have boxed themselves into a corner with the way they have implemented mounts, we are forced into using a specific mount because its faster rather than using a mount that you find visually appealing, I'm really not finding the idea of having 50 different raptor skins appealing, when in other games I can have every animal under the sun, Anet tried to be clever with masteries for mounts but it will 100% backfire just like Season 1.

>

> What exactly backfired?

I guess they mean the skins have to work with the 5 mounts.

As in they can't let's say make you ride a triceratops instead of a raptor because it needs to work a specific way, or change the springer with a polar bear or something I guess.

I don't know.

> @FOX.3582 said:

> > @Vavume.8065 said:

> > I feel like Anet have boxed themselves into a corner with the way they have implemented mounts, we are forced into using a specific mount because its faster rather than using a mount that you find visually appealing, I'm really not finding the idea of having 50 different raptor skins appealing, when in other games I can have every animal under the sun, Anet tried to be clever with masteries for mounts but it will 100% backfire just like Season 1.

>

> What exactly backfired?

The animations tied to specific mounts?

Let’s say you want a horse mount skin. You pretty much have to put it on the jackal. However the jackal has a howling animation that’s going to look very strange with a horse skinned with it.

> @Vavume.8065 said:

> I feel like Anet have boxed themselves into a corner with the way they have implemented mounts, we are forced into using a specific mount because its faster rather than using a mount that you find visually appealing, I'm really not finding the idea of having 50 different raptor skins appealing, when in other games I can have every animal under the sun, Anet tried to be clever with masteries for mounts but it will 100% backfire just like Season 1.

This is what I felt when they first announced mounts. It didn't make any sense - mounts are one of the most important cosmetic items and GW2 makes most of its money off cosmetics, so it didn't make any sense to design mounts on rails like this.

But, I feel like we are eventually going to have different types of mounts tied to these five through the skin system. It would be absolutely silly if not.

> @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > @FOX.3582 said:

> > > @Vavume.8065 said:

> > > I feel like Anet have boxed themselves into a corner with the way they have implemented mounts, we are forced into using a specific mount because its faster rather than using a mount that you find visually appealing, I'm really not finding the idea of having 50 different raptor skins appealing, when in other games I can have every animal under the sun, Anet tried to be clever with masteries for mounts but it will 100% backfire just like Season 1.

> >

> > What exactly backfired?

>

> I guess they mean the skins have to work with the 5 mounts.

> As in they can't let's say make you ride a triceratops instead of a raptor because it needs to work a specific way, or change the springer with a polar bear or something I guess.

> I don't know.

Considering, though, the variety of glider skins that seriously deviates from the base glider concept, though, I see no reason not to expect we'll get a lot more variation in the skins over time for the mounts we have now, including ones that totally change the animations and sounds of the mount to reflect other species.

If Anet didn't design them in a way that allows for that, it would have to be the most boneheaded, shortsighted decision they ever made, and that's saying a lot.

It's halloween.

They are meant to look comical imho ( it's a low budget costume for mount, as if you wear a white sheet and pretend to be a ghost ).

I doubt there will be new mounts but, as somebody wrote in other threads, new skills for mounts in the next expansions.

Only reskins and costumes ( i don't wanna see a gargoyle, a dragon or some other beast, cause the beast itself could be a new kind of mount somehow, and i want to be able to understand what mount is using a player. This is not wow where all mounts are the same, just to be clear ).

I personally really like how mounts work in this game and I like the way the halloween skins are, even if I do not like the look on all 5. I might be a hater or something... but I think the mounts should definitely stay the species that they are and not deviate from that. The griffon is a griffon... not a dragon, not a wyvern, not a gargoyle etc. Having skins work similar to costumes/outfits for players is perfect in my opinion.

So yeah I am perfectly happy with the way ANet have done this so far and I kinda fear they will go the route you are talking about.... although I guess its possible they will do...

Also in regards to gliders... some of them are way too ridiculous and I don't like how much they deviate from being a glider, but I can deal with it since they are not seen all the time. I'll deal with it if it happens to mounts too.. but it will be more jarring since mounts can be there aaaaaall the time.

They are quite underwhelming imo but props to the pricing. 2k gems is stretching it but at discount it is quite nice for 5 mounts. Still i dont like them they are more of a recolor with the option of more dye channels. I hope the wintersday ones will be better(because of course there will be) Maybe make the griffon look like a reindeer giving it antlers and giving the mounts santa hats and beards

> @Shafi.8952 said:

> Some bones painted on the mount. Glowing eyes. Option to dye entire body. A bit of ghostly fog animation.

> The griffon and the springer looks comical, the raptor is decent if you want more dye channels and only the skimmer and jackle looks & feels right.

>

> The skins would have looked better if they were reanimated skeletons of the mounts instead of just some bone patterns painted over the mount.

> But I guess since these are the first set of mount skins, people will buy them regardless since they have no other gemstore skins to compare to.

> They are saving the good skins for later to maximise profit. Just like with the glider skins. They managed to merge back skins with glider skins and also give us glider skins that look nothing like gliders so don't tell me that they don't have the skills/time to make a bony dinosaur skeleton frame for the raptor mount.

>

> Also explains why the mount skins are in a pack rather then individual sets - people would not buy certain skins and only buy skins for mounts they like and use regularly.

>

> Having the first mount skins be in a pack was also rather clever. If people complain, they can sell skins individually but at a higher price each.

> If they sold the first mount skins individually, people would not buy packs of those skins unless the pack sold at a lower price.

>

> Edit: The mounts are overwhelming. The mount skins are underwhelming.

> Not many people can distinguish the two.

dont say mount skins as a whole these just meant for the holiday that is coming up. mounts been here 4 weeks or 3 and a few days im sure future will hold better skins.

Maybe community can start tossing threads up based on what they wanna see for skins and or ideas.