Make Mad King's Clock Tower a solo instance

Zaraki.5784

> @IndigoSundown.5419 said:

> I haven't done this for the first year, but from what I remember the difficulty of the jumps was much greater due to the fact that other character models were in the way. It's harder to jump and land on a small space if you cannot see the target.

Yes, it was especially painful towards the end when people deliberately did the jumping puzzle on Charr or Norn, blocking your view.

Took me 45-50 minutes back then until I finaly made it up to the top.

> @Rayti.6531 said:

> What I dislike about the JP not being a solo instance is the wait time

Thats basically the point that keeps me from even trying the clocktower. Every time I say to myself "OK, lets give it a try" ... i start the instance, die 2-3 times and quit because those waittimes and repeated cutscenes are annoying as hell. I just wanna do the JP and not stand around or watch the same cutscene over and over again.

It's fine to me.

I mean it is a Good trade.

I dislike way more to login and then

What time is the mad king says event?

In 45 min.

Oh noes!

Being able to login and play is way better than everything else.

And for those who are going to say ''you can do other stuff while waiting'' i say ''no. I just want to do X and nothing else, and sometimes i can't wait hours for an event to begin''.

The time sink is part of a mmo concept, right, but that's i do prefer to wait 1 min between every jp than 1h doing nothing or just have to login at a specific time.

> @Irreverent.3594 said:

> Why even there are other players? I quit the second i saw other players red tags.

1.) A bit of friendly competition. Though tbh most of the instances I've been there's little competition and more bemoaning (nicely) missed jumps.

2.) You can learn from 'veterans'. - Not sure if this is an intention of Anet's, but I know there are few places where I learned better/different routes from watching the people ahead of me.

3.) Data/traffic load - Halloween is once a year and probably reels in a lot of players. Making the Clock Tower single instance might (not a techie so I can't say for sure) be too much server load.

> @IndigoSundown.5419 said:

> I haven't done this for the first year, but from what I remember the difficulty of the jumps was much greater due to the fact that other character models were in the way. It's harder to jump and land on a small space if you cannot see the target.

It's changed. You don't see other players any more. All other people simply appear is very faint blue wisps, that obscure nothing at all.

> @Zaraki.5784 said:

> I don't know if it's just me or what, but whenever I do Mad King's Clock Tower I miss basic jumps I wouldn't usually miss way too often due to the pressure other players (even in the form of small blue orbs) put on me.

It is all in your head. I totally understand where you are coming from, but like the Winter Wonderland, there are a few things you should know:

* Basically, it is an easy jumping puzzle; you need to keep that in mind from the start to not stress yourself out. You can make it.

* Keep your eyes on your character only, don't let them stray; focus on the objects beneath you.

* Until you have mastered the JP, try to play without sound; the grasping hands sound will only put unnecessary time pressure on you.

* It is okay to pause for a split second to adjust your mouse perspective during the JP, you can make up for it by being fast.

* In order to be fast, always use max jumps (i.e., hold down the Forward key and Spacebar until you have landed) _between_ objects. While _on_ an object, use smaller jumps.

* Adjust your camera angle; a "slightly above" perspective helps you recognize the distance between objects.

* For this particular JP: always choose the most narrow route with objects closest to the tower. There is nothing else that will make you "do it faster", no trick or anything; it really is pretty straight forward.

* For this particular JP: when at the clockface window at the end, wait for it to appear the second time (that is when it bursts into pieces); as soon as you see it coming around the corner, jump - don't wait for it to show cracks, just jump right away (or else you won't make it inside).

Trust me, you can do this. It might take you an hour or two to finally master all the details, but you will see, it is not rocket science. ;)

Good luck! :)

@ ANet: It would be nice if other players' names could be hidden. I unchecked "Show All Enemy Names", but that doesn't work this close up. I don't understand while other players need to be hostile in the first place. It can indeed distract a person who is attempting to do this JP for the first time.

> @RavenRecoil.6103 said:

> I remember when other players were not mists but the actual players. And if my memory serves me right everyone did this in their undies! Haha

I wish they had! ;) My view was always blocked by some huge, max-sized Norn or Charr with even larger backback wings. It was impossible for me to do the JP back then and I am glad ANet changed this. :)