When should I join a guild?

Shooth.6817

Its completely optional, but encouraged, GW2 is a very social mmorpg and it feels lonely if you're not having a chat with other players.

Just look for a PVE (Player vs Environment) focused guild that's accepting new and returning players, there are plenty of these advertising through map chat. GW2 players are commonly really friendly and willing to help.

As for content, sadly there isn't much related to Guilds other than guild missions, it all comes from customary guild activities and events.

You don't ever _need_ a guild but, they are great in many ways.

As you can join up to 5 guilds what I had done in the past is asked to join guilds that were advertising in /m to get a sense of what they were about. Some guilds are focused on specific stuff like PvP, Raiding or the like, while others are general big fun groups of players helping each other out. I would suggest joining a couple guilds and see if they fit who you are and what you want from the game. If you join a guild and never connect then that's okay, there are many out there to choose from.

As for joining a guild while leveling, go for it. There will be many questions they can help answer in real time while you learn the game and most guilds have players who are happy to come help you overcome content you may be having issues with.

You will likely make some new friends along the way to help guide you to the best choices for you!

I think the best time to join a guild is when you know what you want from one.

A guild is primarily a group of people, the game gives them tools to communicate and some useful features like guild halls but what defines them is the people and how they interact, so each guild can be different even in the content they play and how they promote themselves is almost identical. Therefore it's important to know what you're hoping and expecting to get from them in order to find the right guild for you.

Some things you might want to think about are the type of content you like to play and would like to do with your guild, and whether you want to do it on an ad-hoc basis or on some kind of schedule, whether you're looking for casual, newbie friendly players who will accept anyone in their groups or more progression focused players who expect everyone to be using the best build they can manage and to be open to suggestions to improve it, and things like whether you prefer voice chat or text chat.

There's no right or wrong answers to those questions, the important thing is that you'll find guilds to accomodate any combination of preferences you can think of, and it's important to know what you want in order to find the right one for you.

I have two main guilds. One is a PvE guild (we're on different servers) and do daily events together, like the daily strike mission, daily DRMs. If there is a daily dungeon a few of us get together and do that. We do guild missions on the same day and the same time each week, all PvE missions. The guild is super helpful, at least one person - as soon as they log in - are asking if anyone else needs help with anything. There's also normally someone putting a guild group together for tier 4 fractals, and so forth. There is an active Discord.

I have a WvW guild. We raid in WvW five times a week, at set times. There are guild builds, people who can help with working out your synergies, loads of chit-chat (except when it's the serious fighting times) and an active Discord, although we use teamspeak for voice. Occasionally when we've been short one or two people for a strike mission in the PvE guild I've asked if anyone wants to join from the WvW guild, but they pretty much have no overlap. We also do guild missions, but these are all WvW ones.

So it really depends on what you want from a guild. I enjoy PvE and I enjoy WvW so having a set guild for each interest is perfect for me. I haven't encountered a guild that puts the same amount of time into both sets of activities.

And that's part of the fun of being able to have more than one guild. \o/

Join one (or five) whenever you feel like it. Find someone you enjoy playing with? See a guild recruiting at an event you frequent? Join! Are they necessary for anything in the game? No, sometimes handy for help, questions, most chat is in discord so can't say they are very talkative on screen, disappointingly. Guild missions can be a fun thing to try out. Guild halls are a useful and convenient, free port back to lions arch lol.

Find ones that work for you, that sound like fun, that have players on at times of day you play. Have fun!

Any time. For leveling just look for social kind of guild with XP boost preferably.

As far as end game content goes: it depends what you want to do. If you want to do fractals or raids, look for guilds that do trainings (very important or you won't get anywhere) and daily runs. If you want to do WvW (big scale server vs server pvp) look for guilds that focus on that kind of activity. If you want to pvp: having a guild there is not necessary but can be nice if you want to do automated tournaments. I would suggest to look on pvp forums for those.

Also, rather then asking for guild in the starting zone rather look for one either in major cities (e.g. Lion's Arch or Divinity's Reach) or in dedicated forum section.