Condi or Power Renegade for all PvE content?

Zodi.8932

Currently I’m running a condi shortbow renegade for PvE content and it feels really effective and strong. However personally I enjoy power more, specially the sword/sword and hammer combo.

Is it better to make the expensive changes to Diviner/Berserkers gear for open world, fractals and trials content? Or am I just as effective playing my condi shortbow renegade?

an berserker renegade is an good, but very uncommon combination.

Condi renegade is a really strong condition dps class, but wont be very effective for specific encounters (like Arkk in Fractals, where immune-phases weaken condi classes a lot)

Diviner alacrity renegade is more of a support class than actual dps. In benchmarks it reaches only ~24k dps, which is quite a bit less than an Power herald could reach (which isnt even taken serious as a dps class in the current state).

But Alac Renegade is a class, that is, due to their insane support, well loved in almost all groups. Strikes, Dungeons, Fractals, Raids, even WvW-zergs... All of them love seeing an alac renegade as part of their group.

• 2 weeks later...

My take on this subject after testing several builds across all game modes and making and taking some representative samples:

Time to kill: a WvW char sentry, a WvW veteran hwarg, a veteran giant from Elon Riverlands.

Builds:

"Condi" Renegade

Stats: full ascended/legendary gear with viper short bow & armor and trailblazer trinkets; Nightmare runes, no consummables

Traits

Devastation 3,3,3 or Retribution 1,3,3

Invocation 1,2,2

Renegade 1,2,2

Power Renegade

Stats: full ascended/legendary gear with grieving short bow, cavalier armor and assassin trinkets; Speed runes, no consummables

Traits

Devastation 3,3,3 or Retribution 1,3,3

Invocation 1,2,2

Renegade 1,2,2

Goal: to test the "all terrain" performance of PvP/WvW roaming builds vs PvE/A.I. controlled foes. Those are subpar builds for the task not designed to maximize damage but to be able to deliver pressure while enduring fights vs another players. Notice that those are just samples and the time is the average of the best I was able to get with my limited skill and experience in that department.

For context, I played also a unoptimized (no Balthazar runes, no consummables, no Signet of Wrath...) condi Firebrand PvE build in full trailblazers (more details in the description). I also ran power Herald, condi Herald, power FB, power Warrior and other variants using the same targets, but I only showcase Renegades & FB in this short video.

Numbers: Condi Renegade Power Renegade Condi Firebrand

TTK Sentinel 6” 6” 5”

TTK Hwarg 13” 15” 11”

TTK Giant 32” 32” 19”

Conclussions:

I think that power Renegade has a similar output damage as the condi Renegade with this build which is used, and has better weapon synergies; a propper condition build will surpass the power nurbers by a wide margin, but has more counters and the trade ons in traitlines, weapons and legends will hurt the sustain. The Firebrand even unoptimized is way ahead in damage, but is not viable vs targets with functional brain and FB feels weak at competitive game moves compared to how string is at PvE.

> @"Zodi.8932" said:

> Currently I’m running a condi shortbow renegade for PvE content and it feels really effective and strong. However personally I enjoy power more, specially the sword/sword and hammer combo.

>

> Is it better to make the expensive changes to Diviner/Berserkers gear for open world, fractals and trials content? Or am I just as effective playing my condi shortbow renegade?

Considering you have two gear loadouts and three hot swappable builds and you are only playing one game mode I see no reason not to gear and play both.