Tips to Become a Fearsome Ranger of Roaming Devastation (and friendly wvw love)

Choppy.4183

Heya ranger forum, I recently switched to ranger after a lot of years roaming as a core warrior, and I have to say, it's a great class you've got. I'm currently running a WS lb/gs soulbeast, but I've experimented with several power and condi builds and just love how many viable options there seem to be to do a variety of things. So far, I've only explored core and soulbeast, but I'll get to druid eventually.

Anyway, I was hoping some of you would be willing to share some tips to help me learn the class better, and in particular when facing particular classes and/or 1vx situations. I'm not really struggling or anything, rather just looking for ways to improve and otherwise squeeze even more fun out of the class.

First, the build I'm currently running:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAMFlFwAZhsHmJeSXrvzSm2bA-zVIYRU9fKtpAyUI0rEolRgaOIhxfLVZGB-w

Second, the opponents I often struggle with (looking for any tips when using the build linked above, or other builds that might be more suited to the task):

*Thieves*

Most types, unless I catch them at range with the lb. For them, I've learned not to blow everything at once (which only catches poor or distracted thieves), preferring to let lb2 track them if go into stealth, and then using sic'em after that to really pressure. But I find decent thieves can wreck me pretty hard if they tie me up in melee. This is true with the condi builds I've tried too.

*Elementalists*

More the really tanky ones that can lead to prolonged fights, but also Fresh Air eles. I have better luck with the latter and enjoy the fights more, but a well played Fresh Air ele can still be beastly. I suspect what I probably need here is a better understanding of ele than of ranger, but any tips you have on putting either type down would be more than welcome.

Third, just anything about the ranger generally that you've found especially fun or effective while roaming around in wvw.

Anyway, this is already a long post. Thanks in advance for anything you're able to share.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAMFlRwAZPsQGKOeXrP7Sm2bA-zVIYRU9fIZKF6VB0yIQgHkw4vliMjA-w

Your missing out on alot of burst not taking marksmen. Charging into a worldy impact will poop on people. Follow up with hilt bash and maul. You have an all in build without the all in damage.

Bit weaker condi cleanse here so kite often until your burst is up

As far as ele goes. They are weak to ranged pressure if not running focus. Kite them out and wait for an opportunity to burst into them. Stunning them while water overloading is ideal. If you heavy pressure them after leaving water then they lose some ability to recover. If all else fails run because they cant catch you

> @"FrownyClown.8402" said:

> http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAMFlRwAZPsQGKOeXrP7Sm2bA-zVIYRU9fIZKF6VB0yIQgHkw4vliMjA-w

>

> Your missing out on alot of burst not taking marksmen. Charging into a worldy impact will poop on people. Follow up with hilt bash and maul. You have an all in build without the all in damage.

> Bit weaker condi cleanse here so kite often until your burst is up

>

> As far as ele goes. They are weak to ranged pressure if not running focus. Kite them out and wait for an opportunity to burst into them. Stunning them while water overloading is ideal. If you heavy pressure them after leaving water then they lose some ability to recover. If all else fails run because they cant catch you

Hey, thanks for your reply. I started out with Marksmanship when I began exploring power ranger, but it was before I appreciated how the attack of opportunity and opening strike mechanics worked, and it could be that I chose the wrong traits. The glass canon build i used (using the gear in my original link) actually used Skirmishing. It's got some nice damage, but I'll try out your build.

I did notice you've got more defense built into your gear than I do though. Guess we'll have to see how good my positioning is using my gear on your build, or do you think I'd be a fool if I didn't use tankier runes and consumables to deal with condi pressure?

On a related note, I stumbled across some #MRGA videos using a variety of builds that feature a+a/s+wh, or a similar combination. It looks to me like it's usually using WS, SB, and BM at least so,e of the time, but the gear isn't glassy. Is this likely some boonbeast variant? If so, do you have any thoughts on it?

Link below (it's a super fun video), and thanks again!

> @"Choppy.4183" said:

> > @"FrownyClown.8402" said:

> > http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAMFlRwAZPsQGKOeXrP7Sm2bA-zVIYRU9fIZKF6VB0yIQgHkw4vliMjA-w

> >

> > Your missing out on alot of burst not taking marksmen. Charging into a worldy impact will poop on people. Follow up with hilt bash and maul. You have an all in build without the all in damage.

> > Bit weaker condi cleanse here so kite often until your burst is up

> >

> > As far as ele goes. They are weak to ranged pressure if not running focus. Kite them out and wait for an opportunity to burst into them. Stunning them while water overloading is ideal. If you heavy pressure them after leaving water then they lose some ability to recover. If all else fails run because they cant catch you

>

> Hey, thanks for your reply. I started out with Marksmanship when I began exploring power ranger, but it was before I appreciated how the attack of opportunity and opening strike mechanics worked, and it could be that I chose the wrong traits. The glass canon build i used (using the gear in my original link) actually used Skirmishing. It's got some nice damage, but I'll try out your build.

>

> I did notice you've got more defense built into your gear than I do though. Guess we'll have to see how good my positioning is using my gear on your build, or do you think I'd be a fool if I didn't use tankier runes and consumables to deal with condi pressure?

>

> On a related note, I stumbled across some #MRGA videos using a variety of builds that feature a+a/s+wh, or a similar combination. It looks to me like it's usually using WS, SB, and BM at least so,e of the time, but the gear isn't glassy. Is this likely some boonbeast variant? If so, do you have any thoughts on it?

>

> Link below (it's a super fun video), and thanks again!

>

>

Maybe. Nature magic isnt a requirement for boonbeaast, but it does help keep boons up.

And you need reliable condi cleanse or immunity in any build imo