[Suggestion] Epidemic Rework

Eddy.7051

## **Preface**

My proposal has already been critiqued on my identical **Reddit post linked down below**. Feel free to read the discussions in the Reddit comments for an in-depth analysis.

[https://reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7a1tna/epidemic_rework_proposal/](https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7a1tna/epidemic_rework_proposal/ "https://reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7a1tna/epidemic_rework_proposal/")

## **Problem**

1. Epidemic is **useless if you are fighting a single target**. Can we please add a little/balanced something to it for compensation? Are there any other skills that are completely useless against a single target? Other Cleaves/AoEs at least affect a single target.

2. Epidemic feels super **clunky** to use. Because of its long cast time and projectile speed we are now discouraged from using this ability on a target that is melting too quickly. How many times have you failed at transferring conditions on a successful Epidemic cast because the foe died while the projectiles were in the air? This is on top of the projectiles being dodge-able and canceled by resistance. Are there any other skills in the game that feel as punishing to use? I can't recall another skill that would ever put me in a situation to ask my allies to kill slower.

## **Proposal**

**Place vulnerability and an Epidemic status effect on a target foe for 10 seconds. If the foe dies while under the passive effect of Epidemic, then spread conditions from target to nearby foes.**

I am okay with keeping the current, slow-moving projectile mechanic to give enemy players an opportunity to dodge the projectiles with this visual cue. This ability should also continue to apply the self-inflicted conditions because it is a corruption skill, and it should continue to be capped at 5 targets. In PvP/WvW a foe entering downed state should also proc this effect since conditions on a foe are wiped when they get downed. Logistically, a target foe should be capped at one Epidemic status effect at a time when we are dealing with multiple necromancer allies. I'm not sure how to implement this cap myself.

## **Pros**

1. If you are stuck in combat while only fighting a **single foe**, the initial **vulnerability** application on the foe now makes this skill not a complete waste of a utility skill slot. You could argue that the self-condi application of Epidemic makes it not a complete waste if you have condition conversion/transfer or condition consume/heal abilities, but that’s not universally helpful to all necromancer builds. If you are in solo play, then this vulnerability, which is only accessible to condi necros in optional utilities/traits/upgrades, can act as a "cover condi" or synergize with the curses line to increase your critical hit chance.

2. This resolves the clunky play style of trying to use Epidemic in the middle of stacking conditions without killing the target foe too soon among Epidemic’s slow casting time and projectile speed. You can now condi-burst a foe to death **without missing/wasting** this ability unless you casted too late (which is fair and universal to all skills). You can also condi-burst a foe to death up until their last 1% HP without feeling like you wasted skill CD by not just being patient and letting the conditions melt the foe’s remaining HP.

## **Con**

This skill no longer favors the play style of focusing on a **target boss while clearing out adds** with Epidemic. Instead you would switch targets to an add, condi-burst the add, and then Epidemic the add before it dies to splash conditions on to other adds and the boss. This would still nerf the overall damage/effectiveness of Epidemic in niche encounters like with specific **raid bosses**. I would still rather have the QoL improvement of Epidemic being more user-friendly in all circumstances then a buff in niche circumstances.

## **Flavor**

On-death proc effects are thematically relevant to GW1 necromancers. My recommended skill mechanic for Epidemic is a similar to GW1's Rising Bile, Putrid Bile, Icy Veins, Blood Bond, and Death Nova. This skill would also work exactly the same way as the GW1 ranger skill Pestilence.

Epidemic is an extremely strong ability for aoe as it is... I am fine with it being nothing for single target with how good it is for aoe. I would prefer no change. Tab targeting and swapping targets in this game in general is not easy, so I much prefer the style of focus boss, obliterate adds. Also, this would stop our fun on mursatt overseer(raid boss). If an add lives long enough right now you can epi the boss condis to the add, then epi the add condis back to the boss which is pretty fun. Yes, sometimes you lose your epi if cast poorly... but it's ok to have a spell that takes consideration when casting and it's a far shorter cd than something like plaguelands where if your not careful the enemies will just walk right out of and whoops, wasted elite.

i would rather them change the master of corruption trait. see without the trait the necro gives just vul to themselves and epidemic. with the trait necro give vul and weakness for less cooldown. i think it would be better if they made it so the corruptions gave the 2nd effect on the necromancer (blind foes around on heal , torment (1 stack though on foe) when Blood is Power , Cripple on Corrosive poison cloud , Bleed (1 stack on foe) on corrupt boon, and poison on plague land . even if it means cutting the cooldown ratio i would rather have the moves do more than having them sit there waiting for a target to basically be dead and why have faster cooldown if you are going to bench most of your corruptions for 1 moment?

Epidemic is specifically designed for AoE. The fact that it doesn't affect single target is nothing compared to the sheer havoc it can wreck on a group of enemies. While I have often failed to transfer condis due to targets dying too fast, that is an issue of timing/skill rather than an issue with the skill itself. Only thing I would change, if given the chance, is the projectile speed, but it is not a big thing as it is for me.

I do agree with changing the Master of Corruption trait; one would think that a master of corruption is able to corrupt others without being corrupted themselves. I like Slayer.7318's suggestion.