Closest Core Necro build to a Warlock from WoW.

Oldirtbeard.9834

My wife recently started playing GW2 again, she's very casual, she'll probably never step foot into anything remotely serious for PVE, maybe WVWVW if we join a zerker blob.

One of her first mains from WoW was a Warlock, she likes pets (already has a Core Ranger, classic Bear Bow if you know what I mean except with kitty cats). So I'm thinking some sort of Minion Master build that would leave her tanky that's simple. So probably something that synergizes well with Death Magic and Blood, something she can stay ranged and go pew pew, something face roll easy that's noob proof?

As you know I'm more of a Blood Death Knight Tank wannabe so my class fantasy won't work for her.

She liked playing an affliction Warlock so perhaps Blood, DM Curses with cheap Carrion (what ever has toughness since we have high Vitality any way) gear off of the AH?

The sad thing is I should know this, but I'm drawing a blank, I tried Condi Reaper my self but I was eating dirt a lot, it might be different with me tanking mobs as a Power Reaper I suppose.

Now I'm just rambling.

core necro is... lacking a lot that would synergize well.

like with reaper it would have been super simple to put something together that performs awesome in open world.

(something **similar** to that: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQJAWRnMbCt1glbCWbC0bClgBLKBEAKXxDxkYUE-jVxYABioLYBlgmu/AAK/+R9HSBso0I-w

reaper rune is free chills on each shout. each chill is 3 bleedings. shadow fiend for the pet-aspect you were asking for. synergizes awesome with bleeds on chill.

greatsword is closerange, free chill on gs5, gs4 = blind = chill, AA 3rd hit = chill. on staff 3 you have chill, on staff 5 you have fear; fear=chill.

10% of condition dmg is converted into health from curses traits + toughness from cheap rabid gear. rabid gear has precision, precision is free bleeds on crit. third traitline as you wish... blood magic for more sustain, soul reaping for more dmg and utility (100% swiftness uptime), spite for more chills... this build is a blast !!! and survives everything!).

for core necro this is more complex.

gear (can) stay the same. (rabid). i dont have an opinion on how good this is, since i played core necro on power at all times.

just a very quick thought - not set in stone - http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNArYWjM0QbN2cDe3A/NOCGK6SsF/q8EShSIOABQ5C-jVxYABmu/wPq/AgyvFUCKi+ASBso0I-w

soul reaping can be substitutet by spite or blood magic at the loss of perma swiftness (which activates on entering shroud thus leaving one utility slot open for something else than signet of the locust).

opinions will vary a lot. try some builds before you decide on what you/your wife enjoys to play.

remember that minions can cause aggro-trouble (keeping you infight while traveling)

> @Aetatis.5418 said:

> core necro is... lacking a lot that would synergize well.

> like with reaper it would have been super simple to put something together that performs awesome in open world.

>

> (something **similar** to that: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQJAWRnMbCt1glbCWbC0bClgBLKBEAKXxDxkYUE-jVxYABioLYBlgmu/AAK/+R9HSBso0I-w

> reaper rune is free chills on each shout. each chill is 3 bleedings. shadow fiend for the pet-aspect you were asking for. synergizes awesome with bleeds on chill.

> greatsword is closerange, free chill on gs5, gs4 = blind = chill, AA 3rd hit = chill. on staff 3 you have chill, on staff 5 you have fear; fear=chill.

> 10% of condition dmg is converted into health from curses traits + toughness from cheap rabid gear. rabid gear has precision, precision is free bleeds on crit. third traitline as you wish... blood magic for more sustain, soul reaping for more dmg and utility (100% swiftness uptime), spite for more chills... this build is a blast !!! and survives everything!).

>

> for core necro this is more complex.

> gear (can) stay the same. (rabid). i dont have an opinion on how good this is, since i played core necro on power at all times.

> just a very quick thought - not set in stone - http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNArYWjM0QbN2cDe3A/NOCGK6SsF/q8EShSIOABQ5C-jVxYABmu/wPq/AgyvFUCKi+ASBso0I-w

> soul reaping can be substitutet by spite or blood magic at the loss of perma swiftness (which activates on entering shroud thus leaving one utility slot open for something else than signet of the locust).

>

> opinions will vary a lot. try some builds before you decide on what you/your wife enjoys to play.

> remember that minions can cause aggro-trouble (keeping you infight while traveling)

>

>

The problem with Reaper is the Great Sword makes it play like a Death Knight

If this were just for open world type stuff, and it were me, I'd say first thing would be to get her to try each core weapon for a bit and see which ones she likes. The smallest thing can turn you off a weapon set or make you fall in love with it. Range is easier than melee and it sounds like she'd favour condition damage but maybe scepter just won't gel with her and she ends up loving mainhand dagger or axe.

While that's happening, if she likes minions then death magic is a good place to start. Minions are kind of separate from going power or condi anyway (favour condi slightly but not by that much really outside of death nova).

Suggest that whichever weapon she does the most killing with gets a superior sigil of demon summoning. (Technically, the weapon that she's most often holding when her enemies die).

When you know whether she favours power weapons (mix of berserker/soldier/valkyrie/knight stats in whatever combination works for her/is cheapest) or condi (rabid most likely) or a mix (more difficult to get to satisfy but carrion and rampager mix could get you there, celestial is probably a bit too much of an investment) then can just pick a rune for the armour set (although maybe mention the superior rune of the ogre for the pet rock dog even if she likes the full condi weapons).

This... wouldn't work in wvw zerg warfare though... like at all. There it's basically grab a staff, slot some wells or corrosive poison cloud, make sure to have speed and a stun break, trait for surviving and don't bring minions.

Warlock actualy works in wow.... i know... im an affliction and Blood DK main :P

i cant say the same for Core necro in GW2.........

but if you realy want it then.... Go full minions... soilder gear... blood magic/Soul reaping/Death magic.... get the traits that give siphon to your minions..

and go Staff + Dagger/??

you can literaly faceroll anything with this build... dmg wont be top but you will be a moving wall while your minions massacre everything... also use death Shroud ALLOT....

this was my build when GW2 released... it was actualy damn strong... until they not bloated every other class with everything.... now its Go elite spec or go home...

and yes Reaper is the closest you get to a Blood DK... go with well syphons tough and you can solo Some world bosses/elites with it...

> @Zoltreez.6435 said:

> Warlock actualy works in wow.... i know... im an affliction and Blood DK main :P

>

> i cant say the same for Core necro in GW2.........

>

> but if you realy want it then.... Go full minions... soilder gear... blood magic/Soul reaping/Death magic.... get the traits that give siphon to your minions..

> and go Staff + Dagger/??

>

> you can literaly faceroll anything with this build... dmg wont be top but you will be a moving wall while your minions massacre everything... also use death Shroud ALLOT....

>

> this was my build when GW2 released... it was actualy kitten strong... until they not bloated every other class with everything.... now its Go elite spec or go home...

>

> and yes Reaper is the closest you get to a Blood DK... go with well syphons tough and you can solo Some world bosses/elites with it...

>

Precisely why I'm a Power Reaper as I exclusively play a Blood Death Knight in WoW.

> @Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

> One of her first mains from WoW was a Warlock, she likes pets (already has a Core Ranger, classic Bear Bow if you know what I mean except with kitty cats). So I'm thinking some sort of Minion Master build that would leave her tanky that's simple. So probably something that synergizes well with Death Magic and Blood, something she can stay ranged and go pew pew, something face roll easy that's noob proof?

> She liked playing an affliction Warlock so perhaps Blood, DM Curses with cheap Carrion (what ever has toughness since we have high Vitality any way) gear off of the AH?

This can be a Lock-ish MM build: [:^)](http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNArYYjM0QbN2dDW3A/NOEGqYAkAjrsEOhRYGD5wNA-jByCQBA4IAYElfqSJIK0HMhHAwM2f4Gq/YzTAAA-e)

Channel skills that heal the caster or the minions, DoT that gives health and voidwalker's lil bro.

Stack Corruption effect to regain some damage (low self might) and use the best open world trash cleaner sigil: Superior Sigil of Frenzy.

Don't worry, every Necromancer's line seems to have something for new players in Open World so even if at first she can struggle not having a skill for every situation she can change the build and utilities. No need for trainers to respec here!

My main in WoW for many years was a Warlock. Two off-the-wall suggestions:

1. I like the Necro Scourge playstyle. The Shades are like Shaman totems, which is a bit weird -- though the first WoW class I played at launch was Shaman, so maybe I'm sympathetic to that. Barriers (shields) are a bit odd for a Warlock as well, but maybe that ties in a bit to the ___ Priest from WoW (I can't remember the name, the offensive priest build).

All that said, how about full-on Condi Death Magic/Curses/Scourge with Terror and Parasitic Contagion in Curses? You don't have to use Shades if you don't want to -- Shade skills emanate from the player as well, but you do gain benefits for deployed Shades so I use Sand Savant (only one big one).

2. I also like the Soulbeast Condi Ranger with Beast Mastery. Tying it back to WoW, it's mechanically like being able to sacrifice your minions to gain some benefits, or to keep them out. You get a lot of pet variety, they have smarter AI than Necro pets, etc... You just don't have a wall-o-pets. (The Jacaranda is a floating plant and is Warlock-minion-like, and I also like the Iboga which is a snake/flower that spits conditions. Both good choices as pets and to merge with.)

Never played WoW, so I can only go from what you describe.

Fow a MM Build for running around in open world, doing story and maybe solo/duo some dungeons, I would definitely recommend Scourge at this point.

The Gear isn't really important for those purposes and both power and Condi works, but I personally like condis and was recently messing around doing solo Dungeons and this build performed really well (slow but perfectly safe, zero downs, even in Viper gear).

I would go for Scepter/Torch // Staff,

Deathmagic 1/1/2

Soul Reaping 2/2/3

Scourge 1/1/1

Staff for decent AoE damage, some minor Pet Heals with Regen and AoE Fear and good Life Force generation, especially with Soul Marks.

Scepter/Torch for Damage, CC and Might on 5 and Lifeforce gain on 3 and 4.

Then just cast Sand Savant Shades on the fighting minions whenever available, which gives them minor might, Barrier and removes Condis from them (or if you care enough for the minions to transfer them with Necromantic Corruption, switch Abrasive Gift for Fell Beacon).

Cast Sand Cascade for Barrier for the minions and Desert Shroud for Damage on CD .

For Utilities, you can just slap all core minions on there.

Gear, again, anything really works, Viper, Carrion, Rampager... But since with this version alot of damage comes from Dhuumfire, I would stick to Condi.

Since the minions will absorb most damage while also eating your condis, you won't really need any Vit or Toughness though.

Curses is really doing nothing for Minion Master builds and Soul Reaping with Dhuumfire actually adds much more damage.

Blood Magic is surprisingly terrible as well, while barriers give minions more than enough sustain already.

All in all, that should give you a good Caster with Minion "Horde" feel, is absolutely fine for open world and dungeons and can probably Solo stuff that 99% of Meta Builds couldn't dream off doing alone. Also incredibly easy to play, probably the easiest and most forgiving build I can think off.

For WvW, keep in mind you would never want to run minions there, and it's far from the mindless zerging alot of people seem to think it is.

Generally you would want specific WvW builds and utilize TS/Discord for communication with the commander leading the Zerg for movement and bomb calls, otherwise you might not have a particularly good time.

• 1 month later...

Hey! I'm a player who got back at GW2 few months ago after looong break. So I made this build for my failsafe necro plant. :smirk: It's not have any minions, but few easy tweaks in specializations and skills and voila. It's have tons of hp and armor, it siphons health, it puts condis like hell for long time and you can just go chop some wood when mob is dying from bleeding. :sunglasses: . It's not competitive thou, so I use it to casual running open world and watching youtube in same time.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRUQNAW7Yjk0Q1N2SD20A/NOMGq5RHD5Q8nDgtVGCBdRD-jhTAQBfUJEgOCAzQTATWcgBmgOo6AjR5j0uAAPUFHFpDIIqEgDNCA4BAoBlgAA-e

> @"Druitt.7629" said:

> My main in WoW for many years was a Warlock. Two off-the-wall suggestions:

>

> 1. I like the Necro Scourge playstyle. The Shades are like Shaman totems, which is a bit weird -- though the first WoW class I played at launch was Shaman, so maybe I'm sympathetic to that. Barriers (shields) are a bit odd for a Warlock as well, but maybe that ties in a bit to the ___ Priest from WoW (I can't remember the name, the offensive priest build).

>

Shadow priest it was. I really miss my lock and disc. priest.