Why Anet have own icon and we dont?

> @rapthorne.7345 said:

> I will say that I think the "we can't host custom avatars for security reasons" is an absolute cop out.

>

> Thousands of MMORPGs, including super low budget ones, have their own forums with customised avatars. Is there a risk that someone might upload a pen­is as their avatar? absolutely there is, but moderating avatars is not a difficult process, and just because there's a slight risk that a handful of people might abuse the privilege of custom avatars is simply not a good enough reason to take it away from everyone, especially when all forum users are paying customers of the game.

It's not a cop-out. Malicious image exploits happen all the time.

> @JustTrogdor.7892 said:

> Here is what Gaile said about this issue:

>

> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/114704#Comment_114704

>

> >@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

> > About uploading personal avatars: That is something we are not planning to implement, as (1) we cannot host images here for security purposes and (2) allowing the linking to off-site images can create... er... problems when the images are self-chosen but, perhaps, not self-moderated. That's my attempt at putting things subtly, but do you get what I'm saying there? The ability to link to images on third-party sites can lead to poor choices, like Balthazar in a bubble bath, dogs and cats living together, Faren in a speedo... oh wait... ;)

> >

> >Anyway, to keep things on an even keel, we're going to host avatars, but we'll definitely look into expanding the choices in the future!!

>

> As for why Anet staff can have their own, I imagine it is because they work there and trust that the avatar they use will not violate the rules or be a security issue. ;)

>

Sad, they closed the thread before I could actually quote that post. I wanted to say that if we can't set our own avatar, then remove avatar as a whole for us normal users. The avatar need to be distinct in order to be useful because it will be easier for anyone to identify different people due to different avatar, our brains work that way, correlating avatar and users. However, the current similar avatar just doesn't do that.

> @SkyShroud.2865 said:

> > @JustTrogdor.7892 said:

> > Here is what Gaile said about this issue:

> >

> > https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/114704#Comment_114704

> >

> > >@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

> > > About uploading personal avatars: That is something we are not planning to implement, as (1) we cannot host images here for security purposes and (2) allowing the linking to off-site images can create... er... problems when the images are self-chosen but, perhaps, not self-moderated. That's my attempt at putting things subtly, but do you get what I'm saying there? The ability to link to images on third-party sites can lead to poor choices, like Balthazar in a bubble bath, dogs and cats living together, Faren in a speedo... oh wait... ;)

> > >

> > >Anyway, to keep things on an even keel, we're going to host avatars, but we'll definitely look into expanding the choices in the future!!

> >

> > As for why Anet staff can have their own, I imagine it is because they work there and trust that the avatar they use will not violate the rules or be a security issue. ;)

> >

>

> Sad, they closed the thread before I could actually quote that post. I wanted to say that if we can't set our own avatar, then remove avatar as a whole for us normal users. The avatar need to be distinct in order to be useful because it will be easier for anyone to identify different people due to different avatar, our brains work that way, correlating avatar and users. However, the current similar avatar just doesn't do that.

Tell your brain to look at the username in large text right next to the avatar to distinguish users. My brain has had no trouble distinguishing between users so I guess it doesn't work that way.

On the topic:

They are Anet employees, they are entitled to more control and freedom when it comes to little things like this. Having a different avatar is like an employee getting a discount where they work except far less useful. It's just an avatar, let it go.