Performance Concerns

Why does this game still run so terribly? The game still crashes intermittently for just spawning in LA, constant crashes during Meta events and World Bosses, the framerate in the HoT zones is disgraceful even on hardware that is 2 years newer than when it was launched... I love this game and want to enjoy it fully, but when I miss World Boss spawns and Meta completions such as DS after a bunch of time invested because of this un-optimized and unstable game engine, it makes me want to spend my time doing something else.

The worst I experience is a little bit of lag when too many people use mounts at the same time...and I got a few DCs when PoF was released. That's all.

I have absolutely NO clue about computers(my computer is made of old computer parts from my husbands computer). But maybe it has something to do with your computer or with your internet connection? I really don't wanna be rude, please don't misunderstand me...but maybe that's the reason you seem to have so many problems? o.o

optimize the game even tho when the game was made back in 2012 the game could have been made fully optimized with out any problems . as cases in point DX12 had been out already for some time. as well as multi core support and SLI . BUT the ones that foolishly wrote the code in DX9A used all the lowest coding soft ware they foolishly could. also when the devs add the DPI SCALING and it still does not work right at all for a lot of people today . is if when they did the DPI SCALING thing they updated the game for it as well then it would been more better. but instead well walls you can not see till you hit them like in the char home world at the trading post and in the divinity reach home gfor humans their now is a wall in that story you can not even finish it .

spaghetti code

When I say it crashes, what will happen is the game will literally freeze up, but there will still be audio. I can't even kill the task with taskmgr, it completely crashes my whole system. I basically gotta do a forced restart every time it happens. I play plenty of other games, including MMOs like ESO and I've never had any issues like I do with this game.

That's really strange. ESO and other MMOs are working fine? When something doesn't work well on my computer my husband recommends uninstalling and reinstalling the software. Sometimes it works(and sometimes I doesn't and I am really angry for wasting my time. Damn technical witchcraft!).

But I bet you already tried that? :<

They should utilize GPUs better. As I understood this game depends heavily on CPU power.

Most gamers don't buy those rendering-level expensive CPUs for gaming, but they have powerful GPUs instead.

It causes this particular game to run with low performance compared to other games. Because all that GPU power goes wasted.

Participating Serpent's Ire in Domain of Vabbi is hell, I got less than 10 fps during meta event, especially when I'm joining squad.

this is one of the reasons why i rarely stepped foot on PoF maps, the low fps is really unbearable. my rigs still play 2017 games on Med to High..

Performance optimization is really needed, I never find something about performance optimization on every gw2 patch notes, at least since early 2016.

Running an old LGA1336 based system, this game has never crashed for me like I've seen so many people describing, and since I'm probably running older hardware than many others out there, **to me it would point to the issue being something on your system rather than the game**. I put anything that has to do with other characters to low or medium in the ingame settings, and in zergs I also put shadows to lowest possible.

For comparison reasons, I put my specs below:

LGA 1336 motherboard (first gen core i7)

X5650 cpu (6 core HT xeon) @ 3.9 GHz

AMD 570 gpu

24 gig ram

Windows 10 pro

> @WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

> optimize the game even tho when the game was made back in 2012 the game could have been made fully optimized with out any problems . as cases in point DX12 had been out already for some time. as well as multi core support and SLI . BUT the ones that foolishly wrote the code in DX9A used all the lowest coding soft ware they foolishly could. also when the devs add the DPI SCALING and it still does not work right at all for a lot of people today . is if when they did the DPI SCALING thing they updated the game for it as well then it would been more better. but instead well walls you can not see till you hit them like in the char home world at the trading post and in the divinity reach home gfor humans their now is a wall in that story you can not even finish it .

>

> spaghetti code

Except the game wasn't made in 2012.. or perhaps you think they opened a magic box of code that year and pooof... GW2 was born.

I would hazard a guess this game started life 5 years previous to that and guess what.. tech changes. Maybe they could of just scratched everything they had done and started afresh, put the launch back another few years and hope the world stays just as it was back in the day... fingers crossed ehh.

Ooh btw, not everyone has the same tech, not everyone has the same specs and I would guess we all have little bugs and frustrations - sure imo ANET has not the greatest testing / QA setup but show me an MMO where problems never exist.

I swear every MMO I have ever played has had the same whine about "it's not optimised for todays tech, it was so coded behind the times etc etc.. lalala"

> @Bloodstealer.5978 said:

> > @WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

> > optimize the game even tho when the game was made back in 2012 the game could have been made fully optimized with out any problems . as cases in point DX12 had been out already for some time. as well as multi core support and SLI . BUT the ones that foolishly wrote the code in DX9A used all the lowest coding soft ware they foolishly could. also when the devs add the DPI SCALING and it still does not work right at all for a lot of people today . is if when they did the DPI SCALING thing they updated the game for it as well then it would been more better. but instead well walls you can not see till you hit them like in the char home world at the trading post and in the divinity reach home gfor humans their now is a wall in that story you can not even finish it .

> >

> > spaghetti code

>

> Except the game wasn't made in 2012.. or perhaps you think they opened a magic box of code that year and pooof... GW2 was born.

> I would hazard a guess this game started life 5 years previous to that and guess what.. tech changes. Maybe they could of just scratched everything they had done and started afresh, put the launch back another few years and hope the world stays just as it was back in the day... fingers crossed ehh.

>

> Ooh btw, not everyone has the same tech, not everyone has the same specs and I would guess we all have little bugs and frustrations - sure imo ANET has not the greatest testing / QA setup but show me an MMO where problems never exist.

>

> I swear every MMO I have ever played has had the same whine about "it's not optimised for todays tech, it was so coded behind the times etc etc.. lalala"

My problem here is not so much optimization but as a fractal dev said in a thread about 100cm bugs, because of the spaghetti code everytime they implement or try to fix something they break other things making it even worse than b4. And this has continued to happen in every major update so far, soon the game wil become a huge mess with unfixable bugs (just like dungeons) everywhere unless Anet decide that keeping the current game engine is not cutting it anymore. So we desperately need a major overhaul, both in gameplay AND graphics. Dont think thats ever gonna happen though......

> @zoomborg.9462 said:

> > @Bloodstealer.5978 said:

> > > @WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

> > > optimize the game even tho when the game was made back in 2012 the game could have been made fully optimized with out any problems . as cases in point DX12 had been out already for some time. as well as multi core support and SLI . BUT the ones that foolishly wrote the code in DX9A used all the lowest coding soft ware they foolishly could. also when the devs add the DPI SCALING and it still does not work right at all for a lot of people today . is if when they did the DPI SCALING thing they updated the game for it as well then it would been more better. but instead well walls you can not see till you hit them like in the char home world at the trading post and in the divinity reach home gfor humans their now is a wall in that story you can not even finish it .

> > >

> > > spaghetti code

> >

> > Except the game wasn't made in 2012.. or perhaps you think they opened a magic box of code that year and pooof... GW2 was born.

> > I would hazard a guess this game started life 5 years previous to that and guess what.. tech changes. Maybe they could of just scratched everything they had done and started afresh, put the launch back another few years and hope the world stays just as it was back in the day... fingers crossed ehh.

> >

> > Ooh btw, not everyone has the same tech, not everyone has the same specs and I would guess we all have little bugs and frustrations - sure imo ANET has not the greatest testing / QA setup but show me an MMO where problems never exist.

> >

> > I swear every MMO I have ever played has had the same whine about "it's not optimised for todays tech, it was so coded behind the times etc etc.. lalala"

>

> My problem here is not so much optimization but as a fractal dev said in a thread about 100cm bugs, because of the spaghetti code everytime they implement or try to fix something they break other things making it even worse than b4. And this has continued to happen in every major update so far, soon the game wil become a huge mess with unfixable bugs (just like dungeons) everywhere unless Anet decide that keeping the current game engine is not cutting it anymore. So we desperately need a major overhaul, both in gameplay AND graphics. Dont think thats ever gonna happen though......

Sounds like you want GW3.

> @"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:

> > @zoomborg.9462 said:

> > > @Bloodstealer.5978 said:

> > > > @WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

> > > > optimize the game even tho when the game was made back in 2012 the game could have been made fully optimized with out any problems . as cases in point DX12 had been out already for some time. as well as multi core support and SLI . BUT the ones that foolishly wrote the code in DX9A used all the lowest coding soft ware they foolishly could. also when the devs add the DPI SCALING and it still does not work right at all for a lot of people today . is if when they did the DPI SCALING thing they updated the game for it as well then it would been more better. but instead well walls you can not see till you hit them like in the char home world at the trading post and in the divinity reach home gfor humans their now is a wall in that story you can not even finish it .

> > > >

> > > > spaghetti code

> > >

> > > Except the game wasn't made in 2012.. or perhaps you think they opened a magic box of code that year and pooof... GW2 was born.

> > > I would hazard a guess this game started life 5 years previous to that and guess what.. tech changes. Maybe they could of just scratched everything they had done and started afresh, put the launch back another few years and hope the world stays just as it was back in the day... fingers crossed ehh.

> > >

> > > Ooh btw, not everyone has the same tech, not everyone has the same specs and I would guess we all have little bugs and frustrations - sure imo ANET has not the greatest testing / QA setup but show me an MMO where problems never exist.

> > >

> > > I swear every MMO I have ever played has had the same whine about "it's not optimised for todays tech, it was so coded behind the times etc etc.. lalala"

> >

> > My problem here is not so much optimization but as a fractal dev said in a thread about 100cm bugs, because of the spaghetti code everytime they implement or try to fix something they break other things making it even worse than b4. And this has continued to happen in every major update so far, soon the game wil become a huge mess with unfixable bugs (just like dungeons) everywhere unless Anet decide that keeping the current game engine is not cutting it anymore. So we desperately need a major overhaul, both in gameplay AND graphics. Dont think thats ever gonna happen though......

>

> Sounds like you want GW3.

At this point and so many years after initial release,yes, making a major overhal is like making a new game from scratch

> @zoomborg.9462 said:

> > @Bloodstealer.5978 said:

> > > @WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

> > > optimize the game even tho when the game was made back in 2012 the game could have been made fully optimized with out any problems . as cases in point DX12 had been out already for some time. as well as multi core support and SLI . BUT the ones that foolishly wrote the code in DX9A used all the lowest coding soft ware they foolishly could. also when the devs add the DPI SCALING and it still does not work right at all for a lot of people today . is if when they did the DPI SCALING thing they updated the game for it as well then it would been more better. but instead well walls you can not see till you hit them like in the char home world at the trading post and in the divinity reach home gfor humans their now is a wall in that story you can not even finish it .

> > >

> > > spaghetti code

> >

> > Except the game wasn't made in 2012.. or perhaps you think they opened a magic box of code that year and pooof... GW2 was born.

> > I would hazard a guess this game started life 5 years previous to that and guess what.. tech changes. Maybe they could of just scratched everything they had done and started afresh, put the launch back another few years and hope the world stays just as it was back in the day... fingers crossed ehh.

> >

> > Ooh btw, not everyone has the same tech, not everyone has the same specs and I would guess we all have little bugs and frustrations - sure imo ANET has not the greatest testing / QA setup but show me an MMO where problems never exist.

> >

> > I swear every MMO I have ever played has had the same whine about "it's not optimised for todays tech, it was so coded behind the times etc etc.. lalala"

>

> My problem here is not so much optimization but as a fractal dev said in a thread about 100cm bugs, because of the spaghetti code everytime they implement or try to fix something they break other things making it even worse than b4. And this has continued to happen in every major update so far, soon the game wil become a huge mess with unfixable bugs (just like dungeons) everywhere unless Anet decide that keeping the current game engine is not cutting it anymore. So we desperately need a major overhaul, both in gameplay AND graphics. Dont think thats ever gonna happen though......

Pretty sure that's the nature of the beast when it comes to any MMO.. cascading coding, ever changing tech, human error - IT's just a thing that is expected in MMO's these days.

That of course is no excuse and I agree, I can't remember a bug free patch in GW2 certainly since LS1 hit us, but .. its the nature of the beast for sure and ANET seem to be their own worst enemy at times pushing out updates that on many occasion don't look like they were anywhere near ready... but then again who makes the call to push it out.. unlikely the devs have that call.

Scheduling these days in MMO's doesn't help one iota I bet, but the players are often the cause of that.. when it takes a year to release some quality we whine it's too long and not enough. Then they try small lead time fast volume updates with a rolling expansion along the way... but as we all know quality and quantity don't often mix especially when the pace is ramped up like it has been.

Don't get me wrong, I have had my fair share of frustrations with GW2 since before launch, but as I said.. show me an MMO that doesn't have the exact same issues and exact same forum threads about it.