[Suggestion] Please add more emote commands - NOT from funboxes

TLDR: Read Bold

Hello,

I thought I would throw this suggestion out there to ANet. I know there are a lot of things in game that need to be addressed, but after having played this game in beta, then taking years for a break with very sparse logins in-between, I noticed there are no new emotes.

**Suggestion: Please add more emote commands to the game available to everyone.**

Here are some ideas:

* **Allow all racial dances to be performed by all races** (Example: /dance sylvari, /dance human, /dance norn... etc) - this **allows for a cheap and fast inclusive dance list for all characters** vs just one dance per race

* **Add more dances to be performed by all races with base commands**; this game was made 5 years ago, there have been plenty of fun new dance moves introduced since then that could be fun and entertaining to see in game (/dab anyone?)

* **Add mount emotes**; Some examples could be while mounted /roar, /pet, /sit, /threaten or growl... etc. We have mounts now, why not get the most out of them?

* **Add Idle stances**; This one I'm taking straight from other MMOs, but I could see it being a really fun emote in this game. Adding a /idle1, /idle2, /idlethief, /idlemesmer - etc, could add so much fun and entertaining flavor to the game. The idles would be persistant and they could be monetized to be included with some costumes - of course, there should be some base ones added for free.

Overall, I think **a much more extensive emote list could provide a lot of entertainment and fun to the game. Some emotes could be monetized with costumes. I would suggest none be placed in BLT Chests or any other random bottomless pit** since these are for fun, not for showing off.

**Just a thought in comparison to other MMOs;**

* [GW2 Emotes: 24](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Emote "GW2 Emotes: 24"),

* [GW1: 58](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Emote "GW1: 58"),

* [Elder Scrolls Online: 176](http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Emotes "Elder Scrolls Online: 176"),

* [Final Fantasy XIV Online: 51](https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Emote_Guide "Final Fantasy XIV Online: 51"),

* [black Desert: 35](

"Black Desert: 35")

* [EDIT] [World of Warcraft: Over 100](http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Emotes_(list) "World of Warcraft: Over 100")

Surely, GW2 could add a few more. Even **if ANet is looking further ahead with GW3, GW2 still looks beautiful and has so much to offer in terms of entertainment for the MMO landscape.** :)

Just to expand on this a little...

/idlethief = your character leaning back and tossing a dagger into the air / flipping a coin and catching it

/idlemesmer = your character waving it's hand with purple / mesmer spell effects trailing in the air

/idleelementalist = your character lighting a small fireball in their hand and tossing it around to catch it

These are just examples of a small piece of the animation. The effects in this game are so artistic and really should be used to their fullest. I think this could be a good way to do it. :)

> @Svarty.8019 said:

> [Here](https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Emotes "Here") is one reason City of Heroes was loved so much.

Yeah that is nuts! I never played that game, but it looks like a really fun list of emotes. GW2's resources are so extensive. All of the beautiful effects, trails, animations. I would think using these with animations could bring so much fun and player creativity to the game; let alone a really smart marketing move for ANet - think of all the fun player fan made videos!

I've been asking for at least 2 years for /dance to be updated for every race. The popculture ones are pointless and boring now (Looking at you Party Rock Anthem).

The human female Idle animation which should make a return regardless, whether that be via /idle or automatic.

/airguitar

/violin

/feigndeath

> @Shirlias.8104 said:

> But still since it's a useless ( not content ) feature, i would like to see this on the gem store ( the emote developing cost on those who want em, shortly ).

However they decide to monetize is up to them, imo. I think adding both would be the best and most balanced way to do it. What's the point of adding a fresh new feature if you can only enjoy it by purchasing it? Free and paid for emotes would be the better way to go, imo.

Also, I disagree with the comment about this not being content. It may not be content to you, but I know many players that would enjoy this feature every day they play. For some players, dungeons / fractals / pvp / wvw / raids are not content. Just something to think about ;)

If you stop to play the game due to content is more likely that you come back because of new raid, dungeons, seasonal events, living story and so on.

For the majority of players i mean.

It's unlikely that it will be something like

> Oh, 2 new emotes! Think i will go back to gw2 now!

But yeah, players do have different priorities so everything could be.

> @TheUndefined.1720 said:

> Just to expand on this a little...

> /idlethief = your character leaning back and tossing a dagger into the air / flipping a coin and catching it

> /idlemesmer = your character waving it's hand with purple / mesmer spell effects trailing in the air

> /idleelementalist = your character lighting a small fireball in their hand and tossing it around to catch it

>

> These are just examples of a small piece of the animation. The effects in this game are so artistic and really should be used to their fullest. I think this could be a good way to do it. :)

/idleguardian = You leaning back a bit sticking your finger out and a blue flame comes out. You get a bit startled and try blowing it out which causes the flame blowing attack Torcch 5 usually do. You now flick your hand away from the fire and your character has the expression of, "I will never do THAT again..."

/idleengineer = a turret forms and you now got a wrench in your hand and you're now trying to either fix it or enhance it.

/idleranger = Your pet "BECKON!" to you and now you bend down to it and start playing with it.

/idlethief = you flip a bag of coins in your hand, then a randomly generated npc walks pass you. You then look at the character and quickly pickpocket them and giggle. You then put away your 1st bag of coins and start flipping the new one. The animation is in now in a forever loop as you're pickpocketing forever until you get out of the animation.

/idlemesmer = Your character starts to snap their fingers and randomly change their outfit (can be the town outfits or just randomly generated light armour from what you got unlocked already) with her just shaking her head saying she don't like any of them. At the end she just sighs and decide the current outfit you got on is the best for now.

or

/idlemesmer = Makes a few illusions/clones and THEN start snapping their fingers to change the outfit asking the illusions/clones if either of these look good and for all choices they /no to it until you go back to the original outfit and they all nod and gives you a thumbs up that they like it. You sigh and then shatter them away.

/idlenecro = your bone minion comes to you and wants to play. You pick it up into the air while laughing and having a good time, while your shade is behind you looking all jealous. You then look behind and rubs the top of the head... then realizes your hand can go through it, but the shade doesn't mind. The shade is happy to get attention and then you tell them both to go back into their slumber and you will raise them back up again when the time come (in the form of shaking her finger at them to let them know behave), then they deform.

I miss /rude. :p Also more sitting poses, please, that grotesque contortion that female sylvari/norn/humans do is neither comfortable nor practical, especially when you're trying to sit on a chair. Mount emotes would also be awesome.

But maybe most of all, I'd really like to see an /afk status toggle that shows an AFK tag on my nameplate and in chat when someone tries to whisper me, so it's obvious that I'm not ignoring them when they try to talk to me.

EQ2 has a huge selection of emotes, many of them voiced, which is fun there as there is a good selection of player voices to choose from. Here, I dunno, it would be too much samevoice spam. (EQ2 "Taunt" emote is fun, as it involves mooning and other stuff.) The "Insane" voice choice with the /flirt emote ended up as a disturbed "giggle..... yuuur sooo prettty... giggle"

AoC has a huge selection as well. The "urination" emote didn't last long.. not in a pvp game lol. How the devs did not see abuse of that coming I just can't comprehend. Still in the game, and it is a huge satisfaction to backstab a guard "relieving" himself. Funcom also managed to integrate killmoves (not cam) into an MMO. My little Barbarians killmoves could be a bit disturbing and a little psycho, though.

SWToR also has a good selection and some very elaborate ones, unfortunately they chose to heavily monetize them. I think the vending machine falling from the heavens so you can buy a drink is pretty good.

Older games often had mood settings that set your idles and expressions. Mood Paranoid in swg was hilarious.

I do think that a good selection of emotes adds to the game and offers an incentive to interact more with other players. This level of fun stuff is going the way of the dodo though.

One thing I really miss is the older mount animations, for actual mounting. It was fairly common to whistle, have the mount come running, and actually get up on them. War Elephants in AoC will kneel for you. OFC this lead to "ermagawd why 5 seconds to mount" complaints and removal in some games.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> OP, just in case you are unaware, having been absent so much, there have been new emotes added. Not a lot, but some.

> If you want to search, there is a Dev post on the old forums explaining why so few emotes have been added over the years.

>

> Good luck.

Thanks so much for the update! Even in that, I still think that there should be more. It's also kinda proving the point that even with the little they added, this game is pretty sadly underperforming with so many assets at it's disposal. I appreciate the info though, thanks! [EDIT] Also, WoW had a much older and limited system than GW2, yet they've added well over a 100 emotes. I remember when I first played WoW they had like maybe 20 emotes at most.. I don't mean to sound pushy, I'm just saying, saying, "It's hard, it'll take too much time" isn't what all of the other MMO companies are saying. Setting standards in a bubble isn't what makes something good, it's what keeps the status quota. WoW is the powerhouse it is b/c it became the Rome of MMOs - it took the best other MMOs had to offer and improved with a 10+ year old engine. Sure, GW2 doesn't have to beat WoW, but accepting defeat just b/c something is daunting isn't a good reason, it's an excuse. Little harsh, I'm sorry, but that's the truth. : /

@"Teofa Tsavo.9863"

Yeah definitely remember the mounting animations! TESO still has them. I also have to disagree that it's going the way of the dodo, I posted the top 3 MMO's currently and they all have far more emotes than GW2. The whole point is to show that GW2 is at an unusual disadvantage that can be remedied. Just like dying backpack items, it's a venture I think should be updated. Simply accepting a limitation is lowering the standard of your game. We should encourage ANet to shoot for the higher bar, even if it will take an effort - it'll be worth it for the fun and incentives I'm sure! :D

• 2 months later...

Yes new emotes for idle would be great as well as for mounts!!

Another thing I would love to see (I'm not sure it is really an emote in terms of game feature) is the ability to start a campfire where we want. Would add a lot of flavour when waiting for an event, chatting with friends, just sorting the inventory on a cold night or even reading books (as we have books now) :-)

I guess it would have a time limit (why not use wood logs as fuel to setup time!) or could disappear when the character move too far from the fire.