Why do you play necro?

Nightberry.5817

> @pah.4931 said:

> I played a necro in EQ when I was 16 (first MMO) and really liked my character. It used to be such an iconic archetype that has fallen off from many RPGs. Glad GW2 kept it. Unfortunately, they don't have cool minions (immo).

Oh how I wish we had gw1 minions back. Those Bone minions and the size scaling flesh golem were so much cooler than the rats and bouncy nose we have in gw2.

I've always played Necro or a version of it in MMO's, it's the right fit for me. I will say that regardless of how poorly it's been balanced I still enjoy it but I am pretty frustrated by the direction they are taking the Power Reaper and I wish we could toggle back to the previous build, at least there I could tank and run the build I enjoyed most.

This class needs some serious developmental love by somebody who mains it and understands it thoroughly not by people who have no real grasp of how the changes negate previous play styles (isn't that what the new elites are for)!

> @Nightberry.5817 said:

> I'm a returning player who hasn't played since HoT and was pretty excited to make a new character instead of going on my old thief. I rolled up a necro and am in the 60s rn, and thought I'd pop into the forums to start looking for builds. Instead, I see a lot of...well, pretty sad things. So, here's something that I hope is more positive-why do you play necro? What is your favorite part of the necromancer, and what do you like about it that other professions don't have?

The Golem DPS Chart Disciples are a plague on the GW2 and Necromancer communities. All they care about is where Necro ranks in those charts and anything more than 1k off the top marks set by the top players is trash tier. Ignore them and play the game, you'll be a lot happier. Knowing how your build plays and the raid's mechanics will be far more valuable than adhering to a meta build in any raid. Outside of the toxic raiding community, you'll be great. There are top builds available for PvP, WvW, and PvE.

As for what I like about Necro: the aesthetics, the tankiness, the variety of gameplay, and the unique skills. It has a lot to offer.

Because it's the tankiest most survivable class in the game. I like to play tanky classes and found Guardian lacking after a year. I'm not interested in blocking and dodging and blinding. I just want to absorb a beating while dishing one out.

It's too bad that armor rating is a joke in this game. "Heavy" armor won't save you. Necro suits my playstyle preference- beat it to death and outheal the damage I take.

I like Necromancer because of the "lone wolf" image.

Leeching life points, surviving despite the odds by hindering its foes. I never imagined him as a buffing class, but as benefitting more from its party shared buff instead, with no way to buff himself. The opposite of the Reaper of course, Reaper can self buff to 25 Might, but I like the controls provided by the Reaper. I also play as Scourge, I like the conditon to buff / buff to condition / condition transfer abilities a lot.

I played necromancer first in GW1, and I can't seem to get away from it! Even when necromancer had the shroud mechanic in GW1 (which I loathed), it just had something about it that I really enjoyed.

Necromancer also plays how I most enjoy playing GW2 (or indeed, many games). Tanky, Self-Sustaining, DoT/Condition Damage, and Debuffing. I was initially drawn into a minion master role, but since reaper was launched I've been playing more of a condition spreader kind of role, practically in all game-modes.

I also never liked having to buff, even back during the start of the game. Things like elementalist turned me off, because I perceived it as I needed to fully buff and stay buffed with combo fields to be effective. So, I played necromancer to avoid that.