Still the best MMO on the market.

Wander.5780

> @"Ryou.2398" said:

> > @"Mushuchalaka.9437" said:

> > When MMO genre was new, it was great/epic. Now it's just like any other genre and people aren't excited because it's all mostly the same. Grind, get stuff to some variation, whether it be gear or cosmetics,pets,etc. I was one of those that used to and still from time, just think of stuff that would keep me interested, or would be great for the game. GW2 was very well thought out and innovative. Let's not forget, making money is still the bottom line and some decisions are made towards that, popular opinion or not(sometimes it doesn't work out).

> >

> > I played Gemstone 2 (a text based mmo), to Everquest and Everquest 2. Never played WoW as I was not a fan of the cartoonish graphics. Wow is really outdated.

> >

> > I'll list my experiences:

> >

> > Gemstone 2

> > 2 things stood out that made grinding exciting. I'm not sure how Wow is in regards to this.

> > 1) I had a very rare chance to get a unique item that you can't buy or grind anywhere. I once got a statue that when rubbed gave me a healing herbs(you get scarred in this game overtime from injuries and if you don't heal the scars you are less effective). It's possible for more than 1 to have it, but it is so rare, it created some excitement, something great, can drop anywhere(I know this is where precursors come in). But there was no grinding afterwards, you get the special item right there. It was an awesome feeling. Unfortunately it seems there's a sense of entitlement in this game, anyone should be able to have it. I feel some items that are unique(say a statue that gives you a certain or even random type of food), but not game breaking, where NOT everyone can have it, can be exciting.

> >

> > 2) There were annual events that if you were not there at the time, you won't be able to get the exclusive items(similar to to Halloween,etc). Except in these events, you can custom your weapon/armor(it's much easier since it's text based description) for a hefty price. You can even get custom tatoos, etc(think infusions or some cool effect). If they would implement something like this, it'd be awesome. Perhaps include in the price map currencies that are dropped uniquely in each map that is tradeable for a specific theme. This would cause a chaotic market on the Trading post during these events. I mean they can even include black lion stuff that is needed. I"m sure sales would boom and this keeps map interest. Of course this would all be in the gemstore instead in gw2 most likely instead, which is unfortunate.

> >

> > 3) This game had traditional, fire does more damage to water types, holy > undead. This is nothing new, however, what it created was a market for specific type of weapons and you keep multiple weapons handy. There was a sword that proc lighting(looking at you Thunderfry) on hit. I agree on how it's currently implemented now in that these weapons with special proc should not be in Dungeons/Raids/pvp, perhaps even WVW. But for PVE, I don't see why not. Nothing overpowered of course, but that extra proc gives weapons uniqueness. This can be similar to #1, where it's a very very rare drop not everyone can have. Bascially an item that is cool/provides adimiration, but is not gamebreaking.

> >

> > 4) The in game factions for GW2 are there but do nothing in actuality. There was a order of Voln(where I get unique skills for undead) where I was able to bless a sword to attack undead. Normal weapons couldn't hurt undead unless it was blessed. I'm not sure how that would fit in here or how that would work out here, but food for thought.

> >

> > 5) The housing here was community based as far as seeing the outside of your house. This was pretty cool as you'd have the same neighbors or see a group of people in a certain instance, if they bought a house in the same street/area as you. I hope housing in GW2 is like this, as people want to show off their hard earned stuff.

> >

> > Everquest:

> > This game started it all and was pretty much hardcore. If you died, you're neked and you needed to retrieve your body where you died. Some people lay at certain spots for weeks, until they can get someone to help them. I'm not sure if death was changed ;ater, but it was like this when I started.

> > Unfortunately it was too grindy/epic in the end game. You couldn't do anything without big groups. Think 100 man raids. 8 hours and chances of someone not dropping due to internet or not dropping dead in hard to reach places were slim. I never went to another Raid again and quit soon after.

> >

> > There was one feature that I enjoyed about the game. Factions. I.E., you can have good relations with wood elves, but that means Dark Elves usually hate you. Which means, good factions are amicable with you, while evil factions,races were not. This causes some interesting situations. There's this Necro that used to roam around outside of human starting town. My brother played a evil dark elf necro and of course he'd kill me. But my brother was left alone. He was attacked on site on the human town, however he did enough deeds to build up deeds where he was allowed in town at some point. However there was always 1 or 2 named NPCs that were so righteous that they required more faction points to be neutral(not sure if it was even possible), and he'd sometimes run into them and get chased out of town( NPCS were very powerful). Just the randomness of this made things interesting.

> >

> > Everquest 2:

> > This killed MMO for me for at least 5 years. The grind was real. I can't recall any good memories except the graphics were not bad. This still had the feeling of a epic world lik Everquest though. Where you don't want to get stuck in certain places.

> >

> > GW2

> > I played for 1 week during release and quit.

> >

> > Reasons I can recall at the time.

> > 1. I was not able to equip my character with anything remotely to my liking during lower levels. The weapons/armor were bland looking until you hit 80. I understand why now, but I was used to being able to get nice looking stuff in Everquest at lower levels.

> > 2. I was not used to the combat and thought 5 weapon skills were boring. Of course I now know combat is much more inquisitive.

> >

> > Overall game is not perfect but still the best out there in almost all facets of MMO features. I have no idea why housing is not implemented in this game, but I hope it's not like what it is now, where it's a solo instance that no one can see without going into your instance. I hope it's implemented similar to Gemstone 2 housing. If they implement it this way I have no doubt, it'd be a big money maker for stuff people would buy to decorate the outside and inside of the house.

>

> Just fyi you did not play eq1 long or something because some things are off your exaggerating on raids, organizing can take a while though. Allot of those things where also changed and you can do tons of stuff with solo classes and the game was group encouraged you where not forced to group, but group exp bonuses made it faster to an extent if you had a good group. Also the community relied on different classes for 3 hours buffs, they would trade buffs or pay for them for example I personally loved this because it encouraged better behavior and helped the community work together, this was what mmos should be about now eq1 was to much on the hardcore side but we need to find a moderate balance.

>

> Eq2 used to be decent until the daybreak took over.

It's been a long time. I played up to Scars of Velious expansion If I recall correctly. I know what you're referring to, there was some content to do, but the real end game raids needed VERY large groups. Unless this changed as I mentioned I quit not long after trying a few raids. It was too large and take a long time to organize.

Yes I do recall Druid can give sow and create potions of sow. I forgot what class gave magic regen buffs. Yes that was a interesting facet, but also it was a bit bothersome in my opinion to keep asking for these buffs, unless you knew the guy. And SOW is mandatory or mobs chase you across the map. I'm not a fan of the holy trinity where only specific classes can play the role. I like how Gw2 has multiple classes that can do not all but more than 1 role in most instances.

There is alot I did like about EQ1 , but EQ2 unfortunately I had a horrible grinding experience that made me quit MMO for a long time.

Edit: Just watched a Everquest video about the expansions and I recall I did come back for a bit up to planes of power and had some fun on the moon(shadows of Luclin). This game did encourage more grouping, one of it's strong points.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been playing the Guild Wars series since day 1 of GW1, and I've come to accept that this series is by far my favorite, even if I don't play it exclusively.

There is no subscription; there is no "A-Coins" kind of micro transaction that you can pay to get boosts. There is no massive grind to get the next level of be completely worthless in pvp/pve. There is just a big world with a lot of individual things to do, that continues to exists even when I go play another game. Those other games I'll play for a while, I'll get my fill, and I'll come back to GW2.

The Guild Wars series just... is. It is a constant. It was there yesterday, it'll be there tomorrow, and you can pick it up/leave it behind as whimsically as you want, because it doesn't cost you a single penny to do either.

So yea, I do consider this the best MMO out there. It may not be the current trending MMO, nor might it be the most popular MMO, but it is a persistent world that we can all easily return to whenever we want and it will still be chugging along, with new stuff to greet us each time.

That's Guild Wars, to me.

GW2 is the only mmo I currently play but to say it's the best its a strech. In certain aspects sure it is, for example, the sound design is second to none, in some other aspects is not that impressive, in terms of quests and story the investigation missions and story of TSW take the cake from me, in terms of map design wow is magical, gw2 is neither good nor bad, its just there, on combat gw1 is better and so on.

I like how my character moves in GW2, I can jump and move my character while in the air. Basic I know but not many other MMOs allow me to control my character the way GW2 does.

I also like its buy2play and cash shop model. while not perfect it, in my opinion is one of the best. It's easy for me to spend money on a monthly sub for ESO which gives me access to an unlimited amount of crafting material storage space (hint hint Arenanet!) but at times I feel guilty while playing GW2 because I don't spend money on it every month while it can give me endless hours of enjoyment in that month.

Guild missions - again one of the best and easiest ways I've seen that gets guild mates doing stuff together.

WvW - a gem of a game mode that I don't think has reached its full potential.

What stops me from playing is the low fps I get during crowded events.

> @"Mushuchalaka.9437" said:

> > @"Ryou.2398" said:

> > > @"Mushuchalaka.9437" said:

> > > When MMO genre was new, it was great/epic. Now it's just like any other genre and people aren't excited because it's all mostly the same. Grind, get stuff to some variation, whether it be gear or cosmetics,pets,etc. I was one of those that used to and still from time, just think of stuff that would keep me interested, or would be great for the game. GW2 was very well thought out and innovative. Let's not forget, making money is still the bottom line and some decisions are made towards that, popular opinion or not(sometimes it doesn't work out).

> > >

> > > I played Gemstone 2 (a text based mmo), to Everquest and Everquest 2. Never played WoW as I was not a fan of the cartoonish graphics. Wow is really outdated.

> > >

> > > I'll list my experiences:

> > >

> > > Gemstone 2

> > > 2 things stood out that made grinding exciting. I'm not sure how Wow is in regards to this.

> > > 1) I had a very rare chance to get a unique item that you can't buy or grind anywhere. I once got a statue that when rubbed gave me a healing herbs(you get scarred in this game overtime from injuries and if you don't heal the scars you are less effective). It's possible for more than 1 to have it, but it is so rare, it created some excitement, something great, can drop anywhere(I know this is where precursors come in). But there was no grinding afterwards, you get the special item right there. It was an awesome feeling. Unfortunately it seems there's a sense of entitlement in this game, anyone should be able to have it. I feel some items that are unique(say a statue that gives you a certain or even random type of food), but not game breaking, where NOT everyone can have it, can be exciting.

> > >

> > > 2) There were annual events that if you were not there at the time, you won't be able to get the exclusive items(similar to to Halloween,etc). Except in these events, you can custom your weapon/armor(it's much easier since it's text based description) for a hefty price. You can even get custom tatoos, etc(think infusions or some cool effect). If they would implement something like this, it'd be awesome. Perhaps include in the price map currencies that are dropped uniquely in each map that is tradeable for a specific theme. This would cause a chaotic market on the Trading post during these events. I mean they can even include black lion stuff that is needed. I"m sure sales would boom and this keeps map interest. Of course this would all be in the gemstore instead in gw2 most likely instead, which is unfortunate.

> > >

> > > 3) This game had traditional, fire does more damage to water types, holy > undead. This is nothing new, however, what it created was a market for specific type of weapons and you keep multiple weapons handy. There was a sword that proc lighting(looking at you Thunderfry) on hit. I agree on how it's currently implemented now in that these weapons with special proc should not be in Dungeons/Raids/pvp, perhaps even WVW. But for PVE, I don't see why not. Nothing overpowered of course, but that extra proc gives weapons uniqueness. This can be similar to #1, where it's a very very rare drop not everyone can have. Bascially an item that is cool/provides adimiration, but is not gamebreaking.

> > >

> > > 4) The in game factions for GW2 are there but do nothing in actuality. There was a order of Voln(where I get unique skills for undead) where I was able to bless a sword to attack undead. Normal weapons couldn't hurt undead unless it was blessed. I'm not sure how that would fit in here or how that would work out here, but food for thought.

> > >

> > > 5) The housing here was community based as far as seeing the outside of your house. This was pretty cool as you'd have the same neighbors or see a group of people in a certain instance, if they bought a house in the same street/area as you. I hope housing in GW2 is like this, as people want to show off their hard earned stuff.

> > >

> > > Everquest:

> > > This game started it all and was pretty much hardcore. If you died, you're neked and you needed to retrieve your body where you died. Some people lay at certain spots for weeks, until they can get someone to help them. I'm not sure if death was changed ;ater, but it was like this when I started.

> > > Unfortunately it was too grindy/epic in the end game. You couldn't do anything without big groups. Think 100 man raids. 8 hours and chances of someone not dropping due to internet or not dropping dead in hard to reach places were slim. I never went to another Raid again and quit soon after.

> > >

> > > There was one feature that I enjoyed about the game. Factions. I.E., you can have good relations with wood elves, but that means Dark Elves usually hate you. Which means, good factions are amicable with you, while evil factions,races were not. This causes some interesting situations. There's this Necro that used to roam around outside of human starting town. My brother played a evil dark elf necro and of course he'd kill me. But my brother was left alone. He was attacked on site on the human town, however he did enough deeds to build up deeds where he was allowed in town at some point. However there was always 1 or 2 named NPCs that were so righteous that they required more faction points to be neutral(not sure if it was even possible), and he'd sometimes run into them and get chased out of town( NPCS were very powerful). Just the randomness of this made things interesting.

> > >

> > > Everquest 2:

> > > This killed MMO for me for at least 5 years. The grind was real. I can't recall any good memories except the graphics were not bad. This still had the feeling of a epic world lik Everquest though. Where you don't want to get stuck in certain places.

> > >

> > > GW2

> > > I played for 1 week during release and quit.

> > >

> > > Reasons I can recall at the time.

> > > 1. I was not able to equip my character with anything remotely to my liking during lower levels. The weapons/armor were bland looking until you hit 80. I understand why now, but I was used to being able to get nice looking stuff in Everquest at lower levels.

> > > 2. I was not used to the combat and thought 5 weapon skills were boring. Of course I now know combat is much more inquisitive.

> > >

> > > Overall game is not perfect but still the best out there in almost all facets of MMO features. I have no idea why housing is not implemented in this game, but I hope it's not like what it is now, where it's a solo instance that no one can see without going into your instance. I hope it's implemented similar to Gemstone 2 housing. If they implement it this way I have no doubt, it'd be a big money maker for stuff people would buy to decorate the outside and inside of the house.

> >

> > Just fyi you did not play eq1 long or something because some things are off your exaggerating on raids, organizing can take a while though. Allot of those things where also changed and you can do tons of stuff with solo classes and the game was group encouraged you where not forced to group, but group exp bonuses made it faster to an extent if you had a good group. Also the community relied on different classes for 3 hours buffs, they would trade buffs or pay for them for example I personally loved this because it encouraged better behavior and helped the community work together, this was what mmos should be about now eq1 was to much on the hardcore side but we need to find a moderate balance.

> >

> > Eq2 used to be decent until the daybreak took over.

>

> It's been a long time. I played up to Scars of Velious expansion If I recall correctly. I know what you're referring to, there was some content to do, but the real end game raids needed VERY large groups. Unless this changed as I mentioned I quit not long after trying a few raids. It was too large and take a long time to organize.

>

> Yes I do recall Druid can give sow and create potions of sow. I forgot what class gave magic regen buffs. Yes that was a interesting facet, but also it was a bit bothersome in my opinion to keep asking for these buffs, unless you knew the guy. And SOW is mandatory or mobs chase you across the map. I'm not a fan of the holy trinity where only specific classes can play the role. I like how Gw2 has multiple classes that can do not all but more than 1 role in most instances.

>

> There is alot I did like about EQ1 , but EQ2 unfortunately I had a horrible grinding experience that made me quit MMO for a long time.

>

> Edit: Just watched a Everquest video about the expansions and I recall I did come back for a bit up to planes of power and had some fun on the moon(shadows of Luclin). This game did encourage more grouping, one of it's strong points.

I think maybe after a while eq became more unfriendly, I never had an issue getting buffs people where always friendly and helpful, then again I did it as well and had a guild. There where other solo classes then druid, like mage which was one of my favorites, and beasmaster was also great for soloing. I get what your saying though but one thing about eq1 is it well beyond just the holy trinity because you had tanks, mana batteries, buffer/dps, debuffers/dps, so many classes offered many unique buffs there is where a trinity shines but sadly no one after eq was really attempted this and since then the holy trinity has been very shallow and boring. In planes of power raids could be hard to organize without a guild for sure.