First ever post - confused about Minstrel Chronotank

Stele.4950

Hi there - I use a full Minstrel Chronotank to PUG T4 Fractals.

Personally I love it. It seems to be a life saver in PUGs and if I'm ever in a group on another class and we're failing I'll switch out to this and we'll succeed.

When I look at the forums, metabattle, quantify, etc. though I see nothing about Minstrel Chronotank, or I see what looks like negative comments.

Can I ask why this is?

Minstrel chrono is overkill for fractals. Yes it works and yes it will make life easier to a certain extent. It's absolutely not needed though, that's what you have a druid(or tempest) for. If the skill level of the group is so low that a minstrel chrono is needed, time would be best invested in improving performance with a power chrono.

As far as chrono for raids and fractals, the raid guilds like quantify, snow crows or lucky noobs show ideal setups. Minstrel chrono is not part of the perfect setup meta for speedclears.

It is a very useful carry build for raids and will make life a lot easier for a PUG raid group.

In both cases you are effectively sacrificing speed for safety. With a 10 people raid this is less if an issues compared to a 5-man fractal group.

> @Cyninja.2954 said:

> Minstrel chrono is overkill for fractals. Yes it works and yes it will make life easier to a certain extent. It's absolutely not needed though, that's what you have a druid(or tempest) for. If the skill level of the group is so low that a minstrel chrono is needed, time would be best invested in improving performance with a power chrono.

>

> As far as chrono for raids and fractals, the raid guilds like quantify, snow crows or lucky noobs show ideal setups. Minstrel chrono is not part of the perfect setup meta for speedclears.

>

> It is a very useful carry build for raids and will make life a lot easier for a PUG raid group.

>

> In both cases you are effectively sacrificing speed for safety. With a 10 people raid this is less if an issues compared to a 5-man fractal group.

This is a weird mentality that I don't think I will ever understand. "Ele heals are too strong therefore you shouldn't take it. Druids heal less so take that instead"

> @"Wandering Mist.2973" said:

> > @Cyninja.2954 said:

> > Minstrel chrono is overkill for fractals. Yes it works and yes it will make life easier to a certain extent. It's absolutely not needed though, that's what you have a druid(or tempest) for. If the skill level of the group is so low that a minstrel chrono is needed, time would be best invested in improving performance with a power chrono.

> >

> > As far as chrono for raids and fractals, the raid guilds like quantify, snow crows or lucky noobs show ideal setups. Minstrel chrono is not part of the perfect setup meta for speedclears.

> >

> > It is a very useful carry build for raids and will make life a lot easier for a PUG raid group.

> >

> > In both cases you are effectively sacrificing speed for safety. With a 10 people raid this is less if an issues compared to a 5-man fractal group.

>

> This is a weird mentality that I don't think I will ever understand. "Ele heals are too strong therefore you shouldn't take it. Druids heal less so take that instead"

It's a concept called diminishing returns. Tempests don't really bring utility beyond the heals while other classes, most notably Druid, do. Would you rather take someone who keeps you healed at 100% and nothing else, or would you rather take the guy who keeps you at 95% without dying while also providing the party with buffs that raise your DPS?

> @"Wandering Mist.2973" said:

> > @Cyninja.2954 said:

> > Minstrel chrono is overkill for fractals. Yes it works and yes it will make life easier to a certain extent. It's absolutely not needed though, that's what you have a druid(or tempest) for. If the skill level of the group is so low that a minstrel chrono is needed, time would be best invested in improving performance with a power chrono.

> >

> > As far as chrono for raids and fractals, the raid guilds like quantify, snow crows or lucky noobs show ideal setups. Minstrel chrono is not part of the perfect setup meta for speedclears.

> >

> > It is a very useful carry build for raids and will make life a lot easier for a PUG raid group.

> >

> > In both cases you are effectively sacrificing speed for safety. With a 10 people raid this is less if an issues compared to a 5-man fractal group.

>

> This is a weird mentality that I don't think I will ever understand. "Ele heals are too strong therefore you shouldn't take it. Druids heal less so take that instead"

Harrier druid provides sufficient healing for fractals and 25 might as well as good defiance bar break (looking at you challenge modes were cc is required).

Healing tempest provides insane healing, no 25 might and limited defiance bar break.

I wonder which of both is more useful in a limited 5 man setting?

> @"Cuon Alpinus.7645" said:

> > @"Wandering Mist.2973" said:

> > > @Cyninja.2954 said:

> > > Minstrel chrono is overkill for fractals. Yes it works and yes it will make life easier to a certain extent. It's absolutely not needed though, that's what you have a druid(or tempest) for. If the skill level of the group is so low that a minstrel chrono is needed, time would be best invested in improving performance with a power chrono.

> > >

> > > As far as chrono for raids and fractals, the raid guilds like quantify, snow crows or lucky noobs show ideal setups. Minstrel chrono is not part of the perfect setup meta for speedclears.

> > >

> > > It is a very useful carry build for raids and will make life a lot easier for a PUG raid group.

> > >

> > > In both cases you are effectively sacrificing speed for safety. With a 10 people raid this is less if an issues compared to a 5-man fractal group.

> >

> > This is a weird mentality that I don't think I will ever understand. "Ele heals are too strong therefore you shouldn't take it. Druids heal less so take that instead"

>

> It's a concept called diminishing returns. Tempests don't really bring utility beyond the heals while other classes, most notably Druid, do. Would you rather take someone who keeps you healed at 100% and nothing else, or would you rather take the guy who keeps you at 95% without dying while also providing the party with buffs that raise your DPS?

Well, personally I will take whatever I like playing the most, but that's kinda besides the point.

> @squallaus.8321 said:

> In the 100cm runs that i've done chronos tend to do about.... 1.5k/s dps according to my arcdps meter..... so to me whether the chrono wears minstrels or otherwise don't make much difference. I rather the chrono be tanky and stay up than go down.

>

> how much dps is chrono meta for speed clears suppose to do?

Besides the fact that minstrel healing will pressure the druid by having him build up less astral force (which he gains via healing) and the fact that if not running minstrel the chrono will be running part commanders gear which would put him at 1.3-1.5k overall toughness, the dps of a regular chrono will be between 2-6k, with minstrel chrono coming in at around .5-2k.

If you consider the total dps to be around 30k (less with PUGs) that's an easy 10-20% less damage provided (and higher loss for PUGs).

I have a related question: What about Harrier Chrono or Harrier/Commander mix? from a quick check on gw2skills you can easily max out boon duration using harrier gear and give yourself healing and some toughness for tanking and staying up. i'm pretty new to mesmer so sorry if it's a dumb question.