Is the Guild wars 2 gold to gems exchange fair?

Davidm.2419

> @"Thromos.7038" said:

> > @"Ameepa.6793" said:

> > I think it's very fair to allow us to buy gems with gold. Never seen such a thing anywhere else.

>

> LOTRO - in game gold could buy their LOTRO points. Paid for quite a few perks that way.

Oh they added that system? I used to play it too before GW2, but it did not have it then yet so did not know :)

Edit: how weird, their Wiki does not mention anything about them being buyable with gold https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/LOTRO_Point

and can't find the option to do so in game either.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Ameepa.6793" said:

> > @"Thromos.7038" said:

> > > @"Ameepa.6793" said:

> > > I think it's very fair to allow us to buy gems with gold. Never seen such a thing anywhere else.

> >

> > LOTRO - in game gold could buy their LOTRO points. Paid for quite a few perks that way.

>

> Oh they added that system? I used to play it too before GW2, but it did not have it then yet so did not know :)

>

> Edit: how weird, their Wiki does not mention anything about them being buyable with gold https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/LOTRO_Point

> and can't find the option to do so in game either.

>

>

When I played you could only get them for cash or grinding Deeds (achievements basically, but more regional). Haven't properly followed the news for quite a while, but without a full exchange like gw2 (so you can straight up buy gold) I can't see the newly-on-their-own studio make the points *more* available from gameplay...

> @"Hawk.6274" said:

> I personally would prefer to not have something that exchanged real currency with ingame currency. Sounds abit p2w to me.

They used to have that in gw1, but as in many other mmorpgs it resulted in gold sellers covering that aspect of the market. The gold to gems exchange is Anet taking over that market by making it part of the game, taxing it heavily (30%), and thus earning their share when ever a legit buyer want to do such transaction with a legit seller.

It also mean that anet has a massive incentive to catch and punish illegal gold sellers, and I have notices that the issue of hacked accounts and scamming gold sellers is a much smaller problem in gw2 than in gw1. Coincident? I don't think so. It seems like a win for the devs, win for the players, win for the buyers and win for those that want to trade gold for something like money but that can only buy in-game stuff.