[Suggestions] Remove traits and balance only skills and gear stats.

> @"JTGuevara.9018" said:

> The old trait system from release to 2014 was much better, I think. Here's why.

>

> The old system allowed you to put up points into any line you wanted. It was reminiscent of the old WoW system and gw1. The new system, however, you have to take a full spec line and ditch the rest. It took away build diversity, in a way. On top of that, that's where the powercreep _really_ started. The old trait system allowed for only _two_ full lines plus the leftover points which you can spec wherever you wanted. The current system, however, gives you three full trait lines. That's giving away 10 more points.

I was happy when they changed the traitlines to what we have now because they drastically improved the traits. But you're right, it was improved. each trait was made more impactful and more powerful. And that was the beginning of power creep. I wouldn't want to see a return to the old traits. I like that stats are not built into the traits, but it's not a good idea to have so many damage multipliers accessible in a single build with the current set up. It works well for pve, but not so much for pvp. I have no ideas on what good balance would be.

> @"Hot Boy.7138" said:

> > @"JTGuevara.9018" said:

> > The old trait system from release to 2014 was much better, I think. Here's why.

> >

> > The old system allowed you to put up points into any line you wanted. It was reminiscent of the old WoW system and gw1. The new system, however, you have to take a full spec line and ditch the rest. It took away build diversity, in a way. On top of that, that's where the powercreep _really_ started. The old trait system allowed for only _two_ full lines plus the leftover points which you can spec wherever you wanted. The current system, however, gives you three full trait lines. That's giving away 10 more points.

>

> I was happy when they changed the traitlines to what we have now because they drastically improved the traits. But you're right, it was improved. each trait was made more impactful and more powerful. And that was the beginning of power creep. I wouldn't want to see a return to the old traits. I like that stats are not built into the traits, but it's not a good idea to have so many damage multipliers accessible in a single build with the current set up. It works well for pve, but not so much for pvp. I have no ideas on what good balance would be.

Aahh, but here's the thing: stats built into traits are _tradeoffs_. Any game benefits when there tradeoffs, they keep that same powercreep in check as well as encourage players to adapt. Of course, I don't think people noticed this back then as the game was new and they took the system for granted. Now? Heh...!

Also, people need to understand: **You can either have power or balance, you can't have both!**

> @"JTGuevara.9018" said:

> > @"Hot Boy.7138" said:

> > > @"JTGuevara.9018" said:

> > > The old trait system from release to 2014 was much better, I think. Here's why.

> > >

> > > The old system allowed you to put up points into any line you wanted. It was reminiscent of the old WoW system and gw1. The new system, however, you have to take a full spec line and ditch the rest. It took away build diversity, in a way. On top of that, that's where the powercreep _really_ started. The old trait system allowed for only _two_ full lines plus the leftover points which you can spec wherever you wanted. The current system, however, gives you three full trait lines. That's giving away 10 more points.

> >

> > I was happy when they changed the traitlines to what we have now because they drastically improved the traits. But you're right, it was improved. each trait was made more impactful and more powerful. And that was the beginning of power creep. I wouldn't want to see a return to the old traits. I like that stats are not built into the traits, but it's not a good idea to have so many damage multipliers accessible in a single build with the current set up. It works well for pve, but not so much for pvp. I have no ideas on what good balance would be.

>

> Aahh, but here's the thing: stats built into traits are _tradeoffs_. Any game benefits when there tradeoffs, they keep that same powercreep in check as well as encourage players to adapt. Of course, I don't think people noticed this back then as the game was new and they took the system for granted. Now? Heh...!

>

> Also, people need to understand: **You can either have power or balance, you can't have both!**

I wouldn't mind if traits were changed to offer a lot more utility have the power only come from stats. Power is cool when you like to see big numbers, utility is more fun for gameplay.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"rdigeri.7935" said:

> > Imagine if each skill would require a feat to get in pve. What an adventure.

>

> Back in the early beta it used to be like this to get traits. They scrapped in on release. They added it back when they added "quests" to unlock specific grandmaster traits. Nobody liked it and the whole concept went to the trash can. So yeah I can imagine if skills require -something- to get in PVE: it would be a pointless and absolutely atrocious experience.

>

> Nice necro post.

Hmm, that's good to know. I wonder why people didn't like it.