Help me not get melted as Holosmith in sPvP

kiwiburner.2186

Hi all,

I'm a launch day vanilla engi who now mains Necro and with a bit of Guardian proficiency. I qualified platinum for the spvp season maining necro and have no problem with controlling points on scourge and racking up wins as necro.

However, for the life of me, I can't get into my groove on Holosmith in sPvP (yes, I need those profession wins on my alt classes...). I'm running the "meta" conquest build (https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Holosmith_-_Marauder_Rifle) and find I'm OK with mobility/escaping/decapping, but I'm getting utterly melted in sPvP whenever at mid (in the inevitable 2-scourge AoE blasts) and also failing in a lot of 1v1 battles at point (either going down too quickly or having to stealth and gtfo, leaving the point).

I just wonder what I'm doing wrong and why I'm finding myself melting so quickly. I feel like the built totally lacks damage mitigation and while I can carve up with burst dps when I'm not being focused on, the moment I am I totally melt.

Anyone able to give me some tips on how to L2P the build? The metabattle notes haven't got me far enough.

> @kiwiburner.2186 said:

> I should point out that the build carries both manual and auto elixir U, so there is a TON of damage mitigation there, yet given all the condi pressure and that you're not dealing damage or holding points in that form, it really is just delaying the inevitable for me ...

It is *Elixir S*, S for shrink.

> @kiwiburner.2186 said:

> > @RedSPINE.7845 said:

> > It is *Elixir S*, S for shrink.

>

> Thanks, that will really help me with the not-getting-melted thing.

>

>

The explosives build plays on side points and avoids Scourges.

If you want to teamfight you can't stay on point for more than one second at a time, running the tools variation will keep you mobile and does not depend on dodge rolling through people & generally spending the entire fight in melee range.

One of the common tactics as a Holosmith is just to avoid Scourges, better things can be done than having to waste time with them.

This may change [depending on how the Condi changes go](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/19600/upcoming-wintersday-balance-update "depending on how the Condi changes play out").

May find it valuable that you _can _swap out _Marauder Amulet + Rune of Surging_ with _Paladin Amulet + Rune of the Scrapper_ until you get comfortable with the Holosmith playstyles (Tools or Explosives).

I've had the same issues with Holosmith when I started playing it. I can tell you what I have changed in my build and playstyle, so maybe it will help you as well.

* I switched to Paladin's amulet and focussed on not dying as main priority. Once I had less trouble surviving I switched back to Marauders but still run Paladin against Power heavy teams.

* I switched Tools to Explosives (Tools was the Metabattle build at that time) and got used to dodge rolling offensively (thereby preventing overheating as well). That made a huge difference as I started to really pressure the enemies with the additinal damage from dodging.

* In the beginning I kept stealth as an escape tool but now I often use it early in the fight. That way you avoid being focussed and can instead pressure the enemy first.

* Pretty much the same goes for Elixir S. I don't hesitate to use it early to let the enemy waste his big burst first and then counter pressure right afterwards.