PvP Discussion: Maps

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My unique solution to Spirit Watch which might make the map objective more interesting is to simply flip the objective or the spawn to the opposite end of the map so you spawn really far away from the orbs spawn. I believe the fact that the orb is right next to the spawn is the real issue with the orb since it does not allow you to ever take advantage of downtime on the map or sneak the objective as much since it is literally right in the front of all the action. With the way the orb works that basically makes it impossible to cap it even if you get kills which feels really bad overall because most objectives in all games should be possible when you have sufficient lead and setup the moment for it without too much prep. In the case of spirit watch you would have to probly prep a large amount of your team to get an orb in which will never be the winning strategy and thus will never be done.

Keeping the orb off the main areas of the map similar to tranquility allows for the advantage to first be put onto the team grabbing the orb despite how easy it will still be to stop the player from capping if people move to stop them.

> @Paul.2054 said:

> My unique solution to Spirit Watch which might make the map objective more interesting is to simply flip the objective or the spawn to the opposite end of the map so you spawn really far away from the orbs spawn. I believe the fact that the orb is right next to the spawn is the real issue with the orb since it does not allow you to ever take advantage of downtime on the map or sneak the objective as much since it is literally right in the front of all the action. With the way the orb works that basically makes it impossible to cap it even if you get kills which feels really bad overall because most objectives in all games should be possible when you have sufficient lead and setup the moment for it without too much prep. In the case of spirit watch you would have to probly prep a large amount of your team to get an orb in which will never be the winning strategy and thus will never be done.

>

> Keeping the orb off the main areas of the map similar to tranquility allows for the advantage to first be put onto the team grabbing the orb despite how easy it will still be to stop the player from capping if people move to stop them.

Soooo, you would switch Mid with Orb?

> @Kraitan.8476 said:

> Why all these 2v2 maps if we can NOT have a 2v2 queue? Any news on that? (just unranked would be great) It's seems just so incredibly counterproductive..

I went into this thread first seeing the 2v2 support excited that we might get at least an unranked 2v2 queue, and then I move onto the Game Modes thread to see that they say they won't be adding any more queues. Some clarificaton on that would be great, as the thought of 2v2 would bring me back to PvP for sure.

> @Morwath.9817 said:

> > @Paul.2054 said:

> > My unique solution to Spirit Watch which might make the map objective more interesting is to simply flip the objective or the spawn to the opposite end of the map so you spawn really far away from the orbs spawn. I believe the fact that the orb is right next to the spawn is the real issue with the orb since it does not allow you to ever take advantage of downtime on the map or sneak the objective as much since it is literally right in the front of all the action. With the way the orb works that basically makes it impossible to cap it even if you get kills which feels really bad overall because most objectives in all games should be possible when you have sufficient lead and setup the moment for it without too much prep. In the case of spirit watch you would have to probly prep a large amount of your team to get an orb in which will never be the winning strategy and thus will never be done.

> >

> > Keeping the orb off the main areas of the map similar to tranquility allows for the advantage to first be put onto the team grabbing the orb despite how easy it will still be to stop the player from capping if people move to stop them.

>

> Soooo, you would switch Mid with Orb?

Yes essentially that was the idea except I preferred the idea of flipping the spawn to be right next to mid instead of moving the orb and mid placements. That also deals with having the farthest mid point in the entire game relative to the spawn and gives it a more unique feel with perhaps a spawn point closer to mid than even Skyhammer's is.

> @Auriam.8745 said:

> > @Kraitan.8476 said:

> > Why all these 2v2 maps if we can NOT have a 2v2 queue? Any news on that? (just unranked would be great) It's seems just so incredibly counterproductive..

>

> I went into this thread first seeing the 2v2 support excited that we might get at least an unranked 2v2 queue, and then I move onto the Game Modes thread to see that they say they won't be adding any more queues. Some clarificaton on that would be great, as the thought of 2v2 would bring me back to PvP for sure.

EXACTLY that. You have a small as fuck population so what do you do? A) Create more options for players to be attracted to & engage in pvp or B) Try to fix the game mode that has been killing that same population for over 5 years? Some clarification on this logic would really easy our minds. more modes means more people will be willing to try them out, maybe even like some of them and get drawn into all aspects of pvp from there. Please, bigger maps for both conquest & new modes aswell as a 2v2 unranked queue or at least just a reply with some kind of explanation would make many of us so very very happy..

> @Vancho.8750 said:

> I think in many other games 2v2 is kinda unbalanced and the 3v3 is where the things go better. Also without separate que people don't bother with custom maps.

Agreed, would much prefer a 3v3 over 2v2.

For a 2v2 Anet would have to add a lot of restrictions for bunker teams to not be on top all the time. In a 3v3 there's an option for coordinated spike to bring down even the most tanky comps, so balance becomes less of a concern.

> @nicknamenick.2437 said:

> New map mechanic idea:

> Normal map like always.. but around 5mins or something 1 player standing on home capturepoint of both teams will get transported to a closed 1v1 battle arena (not to big.. with little hiding stuff)

> -the winner of the match rewards its team like 150-200 points or something..

> -there should be a timer so it doesnt last forever

> -the person standing on close gets teleported

> -if none player is standing on close there will be 1 random person teleported.. so you better get someone close..

>

> Idea is that we still have the normal gamemode.. but now a duel spec can really do something gamebreaking for its team..

>

> Just an idea.. there might be some problems ofc.. just something i would like to see..

THIS, this sounds great

Can we get infusions to work in the pvp lobby?

Can we get more islands in heart of the mists? More surface area to run instead of open air where we can fall to our doom.

Can we get oakheart essence nodes, lava tubes, bouncy mushrooms, ley line gliding, nuhoch wallows, exalted recall devices, you have updrafts in the pvp lobby but nothing else from the heart of thorns masteries, who wouldnt want to rock climb in heart of the mists, or use a nuhoc wallow to a secret room where two skeletons are playing chess.

I noticed sometimes on skyhammer when you are at a side node you can not see the skyhammer countdown, is that because it is event based?

The jump pads on skyhammer seem to be a bit buggy, you can get knocked into them accidentally or they sometimes just plain dont trigger, sometimes an enemy takes it and you knock him back while he is using it and it does nothing. Maybe change them to the jump pads in lions arch where you have to jump on them purposely or make them bouncy mushrooms.

New players have no idea of jump puzzle locations and no port locations, perhaps you could display these locations graphically with raid icons or colored ground before matches begin as a type of tutorial for the map.

Maybe the lord on foefire should not be able to be pulled to the bottom of the stairs if he is supposed to be fought on the upper level.

Can we duel in the lobby?

Make the arena in the lobby way bigger with objects to line of sight or jump puzzle with.

Skyhammer:

- Increase the size of the Hammer-platform

Battle of Kyhlo:

- Invent a different secondary objective on this map. The trebuchets are underwhelming.

Legacy of the Foefire:

- The Lord shouldnt be able to be killed by only 1 person.

Capricorn:

- This map feels too open and too large. Maybe the distance between the nodes can be made a little shorter and maybe with less line of sight in between.

Coliseum:

- Add a little more kiting spots near all nodes.

Forest of Niflhel:

- Good map, I wouldnt know any big adjustments.

Temple of the Silent Storm:

- Remove the holes around the stillness buff and make a stairs from that point to the Tranquility buff. This might allow more team-strategic play and swaps on the tranquility buff instead of everlasting 1v1's there.

What about adjusting current maps?

* Legacy: No complaints.

* Khylo: This is the worst mid node in game IMO. It's just tedious to play in it. Tiny, uneven ground doesn't allow you to easily get there, not open enough. Edit: Forgot about trebuchet. No one uses this anymore lol.

* Forest: Secondary mechanic in this map is kind of useless. What about a better bonus on kill? Point contribution is fine (25) but the buff itself doesn't do much.

* Spirit Watch: I feel like the orb mechanic could use more attention. Make it so it spawns like a maximum of 3 or so times, increasing its value.

* Skyhammer: Would it be crazy to have a bigger platform (same capture node size) for the map objective? What about adding an interact key to the ground jump pads, so * that you don't jump unless you press your interact key?

* Coliseum: Modifying the artifact ramps in a way that professions with ports cannot gain an unfair advantage. Also, rotating the position of the artifacts (or random) so that sword is sometimes north, sometimes south. Also I would slightly increase the size of the mid node.

* Capricorn: Increase the terrain size (same capture node size) around bell. The area is very small and confined to move around.

> @HeadCrowned.6834 said:

> Skyhammer:

> - Increase the size of the Hammer-platform

agree - aoe spam can dominate way too easily here and winning the hammer is now an important game-turner

> Battle of Kyhlo:

> - Invent a different secondary objective on this map. The trebuchets are underwhelming.

agree but don't have a good suggestion

> Legacy of the Foefire:

> - The Lord shouldnt be able to be killed by only 1 person.

agree - or should take so long that it would essentially turn match into 4v5

> Capricorn:

> - This map feels too open and too large. Maybe the distance between the nodes can be made a little shorter and maybe with less line of sight in between.

don't agree with this - as there are professions that can take advantage of the distance and it makes for a different feel than the smaller maps...

• ArenaNet Staff

> @Trendy.1694 said:

> I generally like Kyhlo, but would love to see Treb being reworked. Several options:

> 1. Treb now have ammunition and [partially] decaps points. Ammunition is neutral item, so teams must both fight for it and shot.

> 2. You must bring 3 ammuntions, that spawns pseudo-randomly through course of time. For example, on min 12 - 1 ammo in midle. On min 10 - 2 ammos next to each team. So teams must decide either go for both, get safe one etc. Once you brough all 3 ammuntions, similarly to skyhammer, treb shoots to all points and decap them.

Treb is something we'd like to revisit at some point. Your idea is interesting.

> @Trendy.1694 said:

> I generally like Kyhlo, but would love to see Treb being reworked. Several options:

> 1. Treb now have ammunition and [partially] decaps points. Ammunition is neutral item, so teams must both fight for it and shot.

> 2. You must bring 3 ammuntions, that spawns pseudo-randomly through course of time. For example, on min 12 - 1 ammo in midle. On min 10 - 2 ammos next to each team. So teams must decide either go for both, get safe one etc. Once you brough all 3 ammuntions, similarly to skyhammer, treb shoots to all points and decap them.

I like the thought - kind of a mix of Temple and Skyhammer. Nice @"Trendy.1694"

> @witcher.3197 said:

> While I think Foefire middle would be an overkill, the standard capture point size on all maps should be increased to what we have on foefire side nodes. Discourages spam but doesn't kill off AoE heavy builds either.

This would do nothing but favour bunkers in holding a point.

Can we do something about foefire. It's inline layout is really bad to play on, particularly for low mobility class, it's points are far to easy to bunker, and the mechanic ridiculously favors teams with mesmers.

> @bluri.2653 said:

> Maybe look over the port spots with pathing issues "no available path" occurs a lot and is very frustrating at times

Teleport safe spots should exist though, squishies need a way to escape from thieves & co. However they do need to clean up and standardize the safe spots. Random pebbles being no valid paths need to be fixed. However imho freestanding catwalks, pillars, and the ledges accessible only by jumping puzzle should always be safe spots.

Not sure if this belongs in miscellaneous, but I'll post this there as well as here:

Please add more maps/game modes! Since GW2 is no longer on the E-sports route, there is no real incentive to push the "conquest-only" envelope. As someone who likes conquest in this game, I would have a lot more fun if there were other game modes and maps to accompany them.

> @Morwath.9817 said:

> > @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

>

> > **Battle of Champion’s Dusk:** We are planning a fairly big revision of this map in the distant future in an effort to improve the Stronghold experience. Since we haven’t started yet, this would be a good opportunity for players to provide feedback in. One of our main concerns is that the current optimum strategy on this map is for teams to actively ignore each other.

> >

>

> As Quaggan said in Game Mode thread (Quaggan guesses, this thread is fit more discussion about this particular map, so he will quote himself).

>

> > @Morwath.9817 said:

> > In Quaggan opinion Stronghold is in dire need of major changes, like removal of door breakers, destroying gates should be players job, as defending them. Damage dealt to gates shouldn't be as bad as in WvW, players shouldn't have issues with destroying gate when not contested, maybe you could add Flag at the mid, which would give +100% damage to gates while controled, maybe summoned Heroes of the Mist should apply such buff, but game mode should be all about interactions between players, not babysiting NPCs (with exception of Lord). Quaggan would also leave suppiles at mid, so players could use them to repair damaged, but not destroyed gates.

>

>

I really, really like these suggestions on Champion's Dusk! I loved the mode and the map in the beginning, but because there's an overload of features (all the different kind of NPC interactions) it not only undervalues the pvp fights, it put a heavy weight on coordination, which, with random teams, can easily turn into a mess. The more basic and instictive a map is, the better!

• ArenaNet Staff

> @TexZero.7910 said:

> General question about map thematics and design.

>

> With the success of Colosseum do you feel there's a place in the game thematically that you as a team haven't explored and want to be it from lore or as an original concept new to GW2 ?

The new conquest map will be using desert assets. Is there a theme you'd really like to see?