Mesmer Targeting and Nightmare Tree (TA)

Valkyrie.1794

Hello all! I'm a recent mesmer convert (loving Chrono) and while running dungeons I've noticed something that might be a legit issue, or might be something I'm doing wrong.

I've been consistently unable to spawn phantasms or clones on the Nightmare Tree at the end of TA up/forward. I get the standard "must have enemy targeted" message, even though I'm locked onto the tree. Granted, it's an easy enough fight but I would really like to be able to complete my rotation. Does anyone else have this issue, and is there anything I can do to keep it from happening to me (other than swapping off my newest main for TA)?

Note: I usually have auto-targeting off, for ease of disengage. However, I appear to have the same issue even if I have it on.

I'll have to try again when I have time. I was cuddled right up to the tree's "rear", so maybe it's an issue with my client losing target when I'm within melee range. I've had that happen with some other enemies, but never noticed an issue when I was on classes that didn't rely on a target (ie- cleaving all the things on a dragonhunter). Thanks, all!