Returning player looking for Necro advice

Notsure.7028

Hiya folks!

I decided to return to GW2 to check out PoF, I haven't regularly played since probably about a year after launch. I played some HoT when that came out, but stopped playing about a month after that. I dont have any HP available for Scourge, so I figured I would just work my way through the PoF storyline.

I am running all exotic gear, I havent been able to figure out how to get ascended gear yet without committing to 100 hours a week playtime.

Should I work on the Pof storyline, or should I continue working to clear HOT maps? (I really dont care for the HOT zones, so hard to clear them) I dont even have all the old world zone maps cleared yet.

Since I am playing Pve, I am not too worried about my build, I just need to do some work to determine the most efficient build for clearing maps as fast as possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions on things I should work on first? (Really excited for the Scourge spec and PoF zones) If I have to I will clear all the old world maps first (prolly around 60% total map completion currently) but I would prefer to work on PoF, and then go back to the other zones later.

Thanks!

Ive been reading the forums (potentially a big mistake ;p) and it sure does seem like Necro's are really screwed since the Nov 7 patch, however Im not sure if people are complaining about Pvp (I could care less, will never play pvp) or WvW (you would have to pay me to play wvw).

As far as open world / Pve is concerned, how do necros fair right now?

For open world, any profession is fine.

Necromancer/Reaper/Scourge is particularly well suited for areas with linking mobs due to crowd control debuffs, which are much less potent against bosses and real players, and minion builds because minions hold aggro.

Against single mobs, Necro loses some shine versus professions able to burst down opponents but that hardly makes a difference in PvE.