[Feature Request] Public Guild Hall Finder

Greetings,

In some games, they allow guests to visit Guild/Player Halls to check out their interesting designs and decorating. It has turned into a huge source of income for some games as things like Cash Shop cosmetics for housing pop up as alternates to the crafting or gathering method. This would add a new revenue stream to the game and help offset the costs of development. In addition, we would be able to welcome guests to our guild halls to see the sights, maybe even be able to grant permissions to use some of the tools.

I feat guild halls in Guild Wars 2 are underutilized and could be not only a great place to welcome the community to our home, but also a way for arenanet to earn some extra revenue. Plus it would allow us to run Housing Decorating Competitions. It could become a whole new player subset for the vast world of Guild Wars 2.

Feature Outline:

1. Players would be able to open up a Guild Hall Finder

2. They would be able to search based on Name, Guild Hall type, Guild Level

3. In the description they would allow Guilds to Set their Guild Hall Name and maybe even allow a short description

4. For bonus points allow people to Upvote or Star guild halls to help present a list of the highest rated guild halls.

5. Add Cash Show rotations like for weapon skins that allow us to acquire hard to find housing cosmetics.

6. Allow guild leaders to set permissions for guests to interact with their guild halls.

7. Allow guild leaders to ban people from a guild hall. (Like PvP Arena)

It is possible to visit strangers guildhalls as long as you are in a party with a member of that guilds GH who is in that GH. As a player that wants to visit a GH of a guild youre not a part of, you do need to enter through the physical entrance of the kind of guild hall and then you have the option to select which guilds guildhall you can join. If someone in your party is in their guildhall you can join their GH.

I showed some members around in the windswept haven like this because I am in a guild who has that guild hall.

I guess if a guild wants to have an open house guild hall event, that is possible by just anouncing it in LFG as a commander and stand in their guildhall. The bigger problem here is the way guild hall instances work. Once a 6th or 11th or 16th person joins a guildhall instance they make a new bigger instance (for 10, 15 or 20 players resp.) which everyone in the old instance gets asked to join. Even worse is if the last entering player isnt a guild member, which sometimes or often means instant kick for that person until a guild member is in that new bigger instance.

It is possible if the guild member switches as soon as the pop up comes. With loadtimes that is still rather annoying.

Either way.. your idea is already... possible.

I suggested this some time back.. SWTOR has a decent system for guild hall visitation.. guilds have a choice to allow visitors to view their halls or to make them private.

Its a good guild system that allows the free flow of creativity.. cos tbh guild halls in GW2 just don't do that for me.. but in other MMO's I play its a priority to pimp the guild hall/house to the max.

With the high cost of scribing and its time consuming factor maybe there just isn't that many pimped out guild halls out there .. I would hazard a guess its predominantly the fortune 500 guilds who have put any real effort into this.. so why not introduce something to show it off and maybe help others to generate some of their own creative juice.. me included. Maybe then scribing could become fashionable, gem store could introduce a range of decos for sale.. its a win -win for all parties imo.

With Guild Wars being so heavily weighted to fashion wars, mount skins and legendary effects, it made perfect sense for Guild Halls to become a natural extension of that, but sadly I still believe they were rushed through in order to silence the growing voice around the game forums, reddit etc and had no real plan behind it other than to create an instant gold sink and time gate.. they missed a trick imo though.. they could of created a whole extra revenue stream like other games do from decorations.., who knows, when enough has been taken out of player wealth they might then upload the decoration market and encourage more gem sales.

However a major factor might well be that the guild team no longer exists within the game.. so UNLIKELY GUNNA HAPPEN!

You complain about the cost for decorations... but then end up suggesting decorations bought with gems??

That would seriously kill it entirely for me.

People complain about scribing being expensive when prices are like a few gold each. Thats really not that expensive at all.

Also a misconception is that only the rich do scribing. Our small guild has a fairly well done decorated guild hall if i do say so myself, and alot is funded through guild donations of a few people if not mostly by me alone. And i have enough gold left and dont farm.

With minimal organisation and some creativity you can get really far.

The biggest reason people dont decorate or scribe is because most people only want to further their characters their account etc. People are very self achievement oriented. Their characters first and then maybe some leftovers for donation is a very common thing I see come up when asking for donations or set a bigger decoration goal.