Why do you play?

Sylent.3165

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > @"Silencio.2604" said:

> > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > > @"Silencio.2604" said:

> > > > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > > You know, about 3 years or so, there was a cry out (on the forums, and elsewhere, I suppose) about there not being enough 'challenging' content. Oh, you would have thought nearly the entire playerbase wanted much more difficult things to do. Well, ArenaNet listened to those cries, and produced Heart of Thorns and subsequent content. Goodness me! The push-back on _that_ content was intense. So, ArenaNet listened, and changed the content produced, yet again.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Thus, one might think twice about concluding what kind of content the playerbase most desires based on forum (and elsewhere) statements. It seems the 'majority' is always those displeased with the status quo.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Good luck.

> > > > >

> > > > > Well HoT was a rushed project and the backlash is because they doubled down on the Meta Events because Dry top and SW had been so successful. But while DT and SW still allow for parallel activities in the lull of the metas (and even during, look at people doing CF in SW during meta) HoT was all meta all the time. All that paired with stronger enemies and Champion Hero Challenges (which is kind of a solo thing and took them 2 years to incentivize people to help out with those making them repeatable), maps that were more vertical than ever (which confuses a lot of people, god knows why), and hard to read mini-maps (looking at you TD), made the whole HoT map experience less enjoyable than SW or DT.

> > > > >

> > > > > But the whole backlash with HoT wasn't that the content was challenging, it's that ALL content was challenging, and a lot of times in a way that it's barely feasible for a solo player to overcome. And GW2 open world is supposed to be made to be soloable (hence Colin J's famous like "If you like MMOs you should check out GW2, if you don't like MMOs you should definetly check out GW2"). It's the same, but polar opposite of the complaints about PoF. in PoF there isn't enough repeatable, challenging content. It's all a snoozefest for the most part. Arena Net have been developing GW2 for 5 years but they still haven't found a method of balancing their content to have a broad appeal. It's always dialled to 0 or 11.

> > > > >

> > > > > And while i do love the game overall, i dislike Arena Net's style of development A LOT. It's filled with questionable, illogical decisions that detract from the enjoyment of the game.

> > > >

> > > > Yeah I wonder if they kept it soloable (but hard) if people would have complained as much. If you go to HoT for first time and explore and try to do a hero point you get the impression it's extremely difficult when in reality it's just group content.. But then yeah they shouldn't listen to complainers too much and stick to their own vision, obviously PoF is a result of it all.

> > >

> > > PoF is more the result of a "all or nothing" mindset. They could have easily added a meta-event like we have on Istan to Vabbi or the Riverlands, or any other map, and that single map would allow for the "repeatable content" requirements to be fullfilled.

> > > Heck, if they had improved rewards on bounties and the Vabbi meta, as in, making them worth repeating, there would be no issue because there would be pretty good repeatable content.

> > > But Arena Net seem to busy themselves too much with the gemstore, and too little with actually making the game worth playing.

> >

> > Really needs some good meta events yeah, hope there is still more to come. I don't really like the bounty system, but I guess it's their way of keeping group content challenging.

>

> The Bounties are great, but the effort/reward ratio is disproportional, i mean you have to "work" for the kill, especially because of the random added mechanics, that can sometimes make encounters seemingly impossible. And you get a pitiful reward, especially when it's just champions.

> Now compare the effort of that with VB, TD, Istan, etc. Meta events... You can faceroll most of those, with small mechanical exceptions (like not killing the octovine too early), you get MUCH greater rewards with way less effort. Heck with the correct timing, you can just get there after its over and just farm all the chests.

Yeah exactly, faceroll difficulty, gets boring fast. But if they would make some other parts of the game more rewarding, everyone would go there, and it would be the same again. They need scaling for larger groups. If there is no chance or extremely low chance of failure there really is no fun to it.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Silencio.2604" said:

> > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > @"Silencio.2604" said:

> > > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > > > @"Silencio.2604" said:

> > > > > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > > > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > > > You know, about 3 years or so, there was a cry out (on the forums, and elsewhere, I suppose) about there not being enough 'challenging' content. Oh, you would have thought nearly the entire playerbase wanted much more difficult things to do. Well, ArenaNet listened to those cries, and produced Heart of Thorns and subsequent content. Goodness me! The push-back on _that_ content was intense. So, ArenaNet listened, and changed the content produced, yet again.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Thus, one might think twice about concluding what kind of content the playerbase most desires based on forum (and elsewhere) statements. It seems the 'majority' is always those displeased with the status quo.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Good luck.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Well HoT was a rushed project and the backlash is because they doubled down on the Meta Events because Dry top and SW had been so successful. But while DT and SW still allow for parallel activities in the lull of the metas (and even during, look at people doing CF in SW during meta) HoT was all meta all the time. All that paired with stronger enemies and Champion Hero Challenges (which is kind of a solo thing and took them 2 years to incentivize people to help out with those making them repeatable), maps that were more vertical than ever (which confuses a lot of people, god knows why), and hard to read mini-maps (looking at you TD), made the whole HoT map experience less enjoyable than SW or DT.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > But the whole backlash with HoT wasn't that the content was challenging, it's that ALL content was challenging, and a lot of times in a way that it's barely feasible for a solo player to overcome. And GW2 open world is supposed to be made to be soloable (hence Colin J's famous like "If you like MMOs you should check out GW2, if you don't like MMOs you should definetly check out GW2"). It's the same, but polar opposite of the complaints about PoF. in PoF there isn't enough repeatable, challenging content. It's all a snoozefest for the most part. Arena Net have been developing GW2 for 5 years but they still haven't found a method of balancing their content to have a broad appeal. It's always dialled to 0 or 11.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > And while i do love the game overall, i dislike Arena Net's style of development A LOT. It's filled with questionable, illogical decisions that detract from the enjoyment of the game.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yeah I wonder if they kept it soloable (but hard) if people would have complained as much. If you go to HoT for first time and explore and try to do a hero point you get the impression it's extremely difficult when in reality it's just group content.. But then yeah they shouldn't listen to complainers too much and stick to their own vision, obviously PoF is a result of it all.

> > > >

> > > > PoF is more the result of a "all or nothing" mindset. They could have easily added a meta-event like we have on Istan to Vabbi or the Riverlands, or any other map, and that single map would allow for the "repeatable content" requirements to be fullfilled.

> > > > Heck, if they had improved rewards on bounties and the Vabbi meta, as in, making them worth repeating, there would be no issue because there would be pretty good repeatable content.

> > > > But Arena Net seem to busy themselves too much with the gemstore, and too little with actually making the game worth playing.

> > >

> > > Really needs some good meta events yeah, hope there is still more to come. I don't really like the bounty system, but I guess it's their way of keeping group content challenging.

> >

> > The Bounties are great, but the effort/reward ratio is disproportional, i mean you have to "work" for the kill, especially because of the random added mechanics, that can sometimes make encounters seemingly impossible. And you get a pitiful reward, especially when it's just champions.

> > Now compare the effort of that with VB, TD, Istan, etc. Meta events... You can faceroll most of those, with small mechanical exceptions (like not killing the octovine too early), you get MUCH greater rewards with way less effort. Heck with the correct timing, you can just get there after its over and just farm all the chests.

>

> Yeah exactly, faceroll difficulty, gets boring fast. But if they would make some other parts of the game more rewarding, everyone would go there, and it would be the same again. They need scaling for larger groups. If there is no chance or extremely low chance of failure there really is no fun to it.

Well, that's not exactly the case. Bounties are "faceroll" when you either have a giant sized group which is hard, or impossible with smaller groups if you get the wrong Unstable Magics. I've seen a lot of 10 man bounties fail. And when i can solo almost all the champions in the game with ranger, the bounty champions can be impossible to solo.

So yes, while you're right that the scaling stops after a point, and you can faceroll it. Before that point the bounty can be not rewarding.

A counterpoint to your statment though is Tequatl, and similar world bosses. Those encounters will still usually get good populations, although, at this point there's very little chance of them ever failing, but the reward structure is enticing. Which isn't the case for bounties.

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > @"Silencio.2604" said:

> > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > > @"Silencio.2604" said:

> > > > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > > > > @"Silencio.2604" said:

> > > > > > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > > > > You know, about 3 years or so, there was a cry out (on the forums, and elsewhere, I suppose) about there not being enough 'challenging' content. Oh, you would have thought nearly the entire playerbase wanted much more difficult things to do. Well, ArenaNet listened to those cries, and produced Heart of Thorns and subsequent content. Goodness me! The push-back on _that_ content was intense. So, ArenaNet listened, and changed the content produced, yet again.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Thus, one might think twice about concluding what kind of content the playerbase most desires based on forum (and elsewhere) statements. It seems the 'majority' is always those displeased with the status quo.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Good luck.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Well HoT was a rushed project and the backlash is because they doubled down on the Meta Events because Dry top and SW had been so successful. But while DT and SW still allow for parallel activities in the lull of the metas (and even during, look at people doing CF in SW during meta) HoT was all meta all the time. All that paired with stronger enemies and Champion Hero Challenges (which is kind of a solo thing and took them 2 years to incentivize people to help out with those making them repeatable), maps that were more vertical than ever (which confuses a lot of people, god knows why), and hard to read mini-maps (looking at you TD), made the whole HoT map experience less enjoyable than SW or DT.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > But the whole backlash with HoT wasn't that the content was challenging, it's that ALL content was challenging, and a lot of times in a way that it's barely feasible for a solo player to overcome. And GW2 open world is supposed to be made to be soloable (hence Colin J's famous like "If you like MMOs you should check out GW2, if you don't like MMOs you should definetly check out GW2"). It's the same, but polar opposite of the complaints about PoF. in PoF there isn't enough repeatable, challenging content. It's all a snoozefest for the most part. Arena Net have been developing GW2 for 5 years but they still haven't found a method of balancing their content to have a broad appeal. It's always dialled to 0 or 11.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > And while i do love the game overall, i dislike Arena Net's style of development A LOT. It's filled with questionable, illogical decisions that detract from the enjoyment of the game.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Yeah I wonder if they kept it soloable (but hard) if people would have complained as much. If you go to HoT for first time and explore and try to do a hero point you get the impression it's extremely difficult when in reality it's just group content.. But then yeah they shouldn't listen to complainers too much and stick to their own vision, obviously PoF is a result of it all.

> > > > >

> > > > > PoF is more the result of a "all or nothing" mindset. They could have easily added a meta-event like we have on Istan to Vabbi or the Riverlands, or any other map, and that single map would allow for the "repeatable content" requirements to be fullfilled.

> > > > > Heck, if they had improved rewards on bounties and the Vabbi meta, as in, making them worth repeating, there would be no issue because there would be pretty good repeatable content.

> > > > > But Arena Net seem to busy themselves too much with the gemstore, and too little with actually making the game worth playing.

> > > >

> > > > Really needs some good meta events yeah, hope there is still more to come. I don't really like the bounty system, but I guess it's their way of keeping group content challenging.

> > >

> > > The Bounties are great, but the effort/reward ratio is disproportional, i mean you have to "work" for the kill, especially because of the random added mechanics, that can sometimes make encounters seemingly impossible. And you get a pitiful reward, especially when it's just champions.

> > > Now compare the effort of that with VB, TD, Istan, etc. Meta events... You can faceroll most of those, with small mechanical exceptions (like not killing the octovine too early), you get MUCH greater rewards with way less effort. Heck with the correct timing, you can just get there after its over and just farm all the chests.

> >

> > Yeah exactly, faceroll difficulty, gets boring fast. But if they would make some other parts of the game more rewarding, everyone would go there, and it would be the same again. They need scaling for larger groups. If there is no chance or extremely low chance of failure there really is no fun to it.

>

> Well, that's not exactly the case. Bounties are "faceroll" when you either have a giant sized group which is hard, or impossible with smaller groups if you get the wrong Unstable Magics. I've seen a lot of 10 man bounties fail. And when i can solo almost all the champions in the game with ranger, the bounty champions can be impossible to solo.

> So yes, while you're right that the scaling stops after a point, and you can faceroll it. Before that point the bounty can be not rewarding.

> A counterpoint to your statment though is Tequatl, and similar world bosses. Those encounters will still usually get good populations, although, at this point there's very little chance of them ever failing, but the reward structure is enticing. Which isn't the case for bounties.

Yeah bounties are not faceroll difficulty, like I said I think that's their way of scaling the fight. People who pass by will not join the fight because they need to get the bounty first to get a reward so it will not turn into a massive zerg fest. I have only done bounties a few times but it seems like pretty difficult content compared to the rest of the game, and then the rewards aren't really worth it.. come on Anet.

Yeah Tequatl has great daily reward, but yeah needs a difficulty boost and scaling I think, it's core content and most players are stronger because of expansions now. I think if they make him and the mobs twice as strong we would still be able to take him down every time. And most of the other world bosses are casuals compared to him.

My "goal" has shifted so many times that it's hard to keep up! Right now I play for the achievement hunt, trying to get to the more obscure corners of the achievements panel!

Before my goal has been everything from leveling my first character, to learning how to do dungeons, exploring the world, making gold, trying raids, making my 1st legendary weapon, making my 1st legendary armor (took me 2 years, btw), trying WvW, attempting to keep my pitiful rank in PvP :+1: , finding a guild that was a good fit for me and my personality, learning how to reflect and block at Triple Trouble (many lulz), unlocking soooo many skins, doing different weird farms, doing key farm, but first and foremost through all of this, my main goal is always to:

Play the game with my friends, so we can share the experiences and laughs together. <3