Issues with Cultural Armor transmutation process

Awhile back I deleted my human female warrior, as I already had a sylvari one. Upon doing so, I removed the armor from that character and put it in my bank. I was using a T3 cultural skin on all but 1 piece of the armor. At the time, I had other humans and human heavies so I didn't think much of it as I had not encountered a use for the armor with that specific stat set until recently when I made a Revenant. Unfortunately, I no longer have any human heavies and my character slots are all full of things that I find very important to not delete so making a human heavy and leveling it to 80 is really not something I'm in a position to do at the moment for obvious reasons.

I am not usually one to use cultural armors at all as I prefer a more mix and match approach, so I had never encountered an issue with transmutation before. I was aware that you couldn't equip the armor on someone of a different race, but I was *not* aware that you couldn't transmute from your inventory by any means, as this used to be a possibility with the old transmutation charge system. With the old transmutation charge system, the entire thing was done in your inventory. In addition to this, me and many other people still believed that using a one-time use skin would allow you to transmute the item in your inventory. (It doesn't. To my knowledge there is no longer any way to do this.) Now, this is a problem that did NOT used to exist and had a fool proof way to fix the issue if you messed up and no longer had a character you could equip it on. Now it is a problem that does exist, and is surprisingly common. I'm wondering why there isn't some way around this?

I posted about this on reddit before, and I was told by another player to petition it because Arenanet had helped them fix the problem before. I was also told by guild mates the same thing - that they had help with the issue. However, when I sent a ticket to support, I was told they could not help me and if I had a problem with the way the system worked I should post about it here. So here we are. I was also told that it was not possible to replace my T1 Envoy armor and I would have to re-obtain it in game if I wanted it again. (This armor is not obtainable after the first time, so that's impossible.) I'm honestly not sure what to make of this right now. I acknowledge the mistake I made in deleting the character, but that was nearly half a year ago if not more and there's not much I can do about that now except be stuck with 6 used bank slots for useless armor or spend money to buy another character slot that I don't even need or want.

Sadly support is correct on this one, Cultural armor is locked to the race, in your wardrobe, when you select the skin from a Cultural armor set, it will tell you that you need x race in order to use it, its been that way since the game launched, you say you used to beable to transmute it under the old system, but im not so sure you could, as the Cultural armor is only designed for the race its made for.

All armor skins that are non cultural are obtainable via the wardrobe once the skin is unlocked,

Envoy armor is part of the legendary set is it not, and that is completely different again, its locked to weight class, Light, Medium and Heavy, so im not sure what your asking about here to be honest, the set once unlocked will be available to any class that is the same armor weight.

@"Ok I Did It.2854" In the old system you would double click a transmutation stone in your inventory, drag and drop two items and fuse them into one item. This worked even with cultural armor of different races because you never had to equip the armor piece for transmuting. With the current transmutation charge system there is no longer any way to change the skin of an item without equipping it first, which is impossible in OP's case because he no longer has any toon that could equip the armor in question.

The underlying armor (not the skin) is the envoy armor, so deleting or banking the old armor and creating a new one that can be used by any toon is also impossible.

@"ShaBangBang.9172" The only solution I can see is to create a new character, level it to 80, equip the armor and then change the skin.

> @"Ok I Did It.2854" said:

> Sadly support is correct on this one, Cultural armor is locked to the race, in your wardrobe, when you select the skin from a Cultural armor set, it will tell you that you need x race in order to use it, its been that way since the game launched, you say you used to beable to transmute it under the old system, but im not so sure you could, as the Cultural armor is only designed for the race its made for.

>

> All armor skins that are non cultural are obtainable via the wardrobe once the skin is unlocked,

>

> Envoy armor is part of the legendary set is it not, and that is completely different again, its locked to weight class, Light, Medium and Heavy, so im not sure what your asking about here to be honest, the set once unlocked will be available to any class that is the same armor weight.

>

>

Sorry I'm not really sure where I lost you on this one but I'll see if I can explain it better....

I own the T1 Envoy Armor that can only be gotten (one weight, one time) from a raid collection.

I have that armor Transmuted to T3 Human Heavy cultural armor. That armor is now in my bank and has been for 6 or more months, maybe much longer.

I have no human heavy any longer, so I cannot equip the armor on anyone to change it.

You absolutely 100% could transmute armor IN the INVENTORY of the player before the change to Transmutation Charges. You no longer can do this.

I do not need a replacement to the cultural armor skin. I need a replacement to the T1 Envoy Skin, of the same weight. I am not asking for any new skins or new armors, only for the allowance to be able to delete and replace the armor with one of the same weight/type that is not skinned so that I'm able to equip it.

I'm really not entirely sure what you're confused about (sorry) but you said once it's unlocked it will be available to any class, but that's no longer the case since it's Transmuted with cultural armor, which is the entire reason for my post.

Support is absolutely not correct here in saying they can't replace it or even that it's always been like that. I've had armor replacements done in the past before for other reasons, and other people who had their armor replaced for the same reason encouraged me to ticket this in the first place. So they clearly have set a premise for doing it in the past.

I'm not entirely sure where I lost you, but I'll just try to make quite clear, I don't want to use cultural armor on the wrong race.... I just want to replace the armor so it's not locked to a race I don't even have.

EDIT: I think I may understand where I lost you... When I said you could change cultural armor in your inventory before, I meant -unequipped-. Literally JUST sitting in your character's bag slots.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> You can always trade Gold for Gems and acquire another Character Slot that way.

> The old transmutation system has been gone for many years.

>

> Good luck.

>

>

It's 210g to get a character slot, and then I have to lvl the character to 80. That's an awful lot to go through to use an armor set that I already earned in game. Like I said in my post, I realize it's my fault for deleting the character and not realizing that skins wouldn't work, but they've got a very well established premise for being willing to replace these items when hiccups like this occur. I realize that the system has been in place for many years, but am I actually the only one who finds it wonky that it's possible to make your gear un-usable when you previously could not?

You may be. Many things have changed over the years. Things that were once one way, are now another, in many cases.

That's not much Gold by today's standards. Even doing nothing other than Dailies, it's less than 2 months work/time. And no ToKs? Have you just returned from a long absence?

Perhaps, ask for a Gem Card as a holiday gift?

Good luck.

So, you made T1 envoy armor, put a human cultural armor skin over it, then deleted all your human characters. Now you can't use the armor because you can't equip it in order to transmute it?

If you really want to keep it, your best bet is to make a human character that can wear it, level them to 80, and transmute it to a common skin. But Honestly, you should be swimming in ascended gear if you raid regularly, in which case, salvage it for magnetite shards and move on with your legendary collection.

• 2 weeks later...

> @"Quarktastic.1027" said:

> So, you made T1 envoy armor, put a human cultural armor skin over it, then deleted all your human characters. Now you can't use the armor because you can't equip it in order to transmute it?

>

> If you really want to keep it, your best bet is to make a human character that can wear it, level them to 80, and transmute it to a common skin. But Honestly, you should be swimming in ascended gear if you raid regularly, in which case, salvage it for magnetite shards and move on with your legendary collection.

That is one solution.

But it does not solve the main problem here.

Recently i had the same problem.

I only have 1 Set of Ascended leather Armor, i use this mainly on my Engineer (Human).

Now when i want to use that Ascended gear on my Ranger (Asura) i pick it up from the Bank and equip it. No worries here as long as i do NOT use either Asura and/or Human cultural Skins.

I played a lot on my Engineer lately, so i used some Human cultural Armor skin for the Chestpiece and kept it that way for nearly 2 months.

Recently i wanted to play Ranger again so i put the gear in the bank, the same way as i always did, and picked it up with my Asura.

I could equip everything besides the Chestpiece of course, first i did not know what is going on until i realized there is still the Human cultural skin on that chestpiece.

The problem here is that i have absolutely ZERO chance to do anything about this on my Asura toon...I had to put the chestpiece back in the bank, pick it up with my Human again, equip it and change the skin to something else.

This is inconvinient and can possibly put you in unintended situations, like OP's case.

If i had deleted my Human character for whatever reason, i would NOT be able to change that skin, until i made another human and equipped it on them to change the racial skin.

my suggestion would be, to allow us to change the skins of every item currently in our Inventory, not only the items curently equipped..

• 1 month later...