Story Ally Improvement Suggestion

I was playing the Path of Fire story through again and this idea came to me during the [Hallowed Grounds] instance where you go to the tomb of primeval kings. The idea was the addition of an ally mechanic where when you call out an enemy to target and this would force your NPC allies to change target to the called out one.

This would be particularly useful for smaller groups from 1-3 doing story as focusing fire on a specific target is needed in some cases and DPS might not be present if for instance a group of highly supportive/healers trying to get achievements together or even during some more complex boss fights. In other cases it's nice to have your allies distracting multiple targets so removing the target or killing the enemy would return them to their normal tracking. This would also come in handy if someone is either downed or dead but cannot respawn because others in the party are still alive, so you could call your allies to attack a low health target or focus on reviving a downed party member.

I know in some cases during stories you might not want ALL of your allies to change target or drop what they're doing like when you have to kill 2 enemies at the same time like the twin primeval kings, but you could say one of your "free" allies can do what you want them to do. I think even having just 1 "free" ally to help do the things stated above would be INCREDIBLY helpful and make you feel more like the "Commander" of the Pact or Dragon's Watch.

What does the community think of this idea?

There is a lot of potential for improving or adding control to ally npcs. I miss the hero control and groups from guild wars 1, it would be neat if this type of ally targeting could be implemented with a sort of npc squad that you could control. Similar to the one path of fire mission where you gave melee/ranged attack commands, but you retain your own skills as well.