Returning player - wanting to some things about the "Path of fire" Expansion

hey guys! im returning after a 3 year brake, i have a few characters none of the 60 cap that was around when i was playing now its at 80 i believe.

Wanting to know, if i buy the "PoF DLC" can i start a new char and go straight into its story/lore and all that stuff ? and kind of skip the rest ? if not when does it start ? what level do i have to be ? im just so lost in what i have done in the game, more to do with materials like what i need and do not need (such as upgrading weapons and armours)

I have more questions !

1. whats some classess to play these days ! for PvP/PvE

2.what gear types are there now and how do i get them

maybe i should leave the rest of my questions for other parts of the Forum ! <3

thanks, chase

It was always 80?

They've never raised the level cap.

If you buy PoF, you will get a level 80 boost and can jump right in... fair warning though, you'll probably be slaughtered.

I'd suggest starting a new character and playing to about level 35, just to get the general hang of things. Then maybe practice with your level 80 in core Tyria a little and then, going into PoF.

Metabattle, I think it is, will have the suggested classes (and builds ) for various game modes. I wouldn't really know. I'm one of those dregs that just play what they like.

Gear types...you mean stats? There's a few additions. Mostly still crafting and buying recipes. You can get legendary armor via raids...And WvW.

Legendary armor is still the same stat wise to ascended.

> @"ChaseG.4160" said:

> thanks, chase

Welcome back :3

The level cap is 80 right now, yes. If you buy the PoF-only package, you'll also get one level-80 booster. However, I suggest that you do not use it after such a long break. It will gear you up with standardized exotic gear and re-trait you, and re-build you. And if you go into the new map trusting only what they gave you, you will be even more lost. It's best to play one character up to level 80 yourself first, so that you'll understand which builds and traits you personally like.

Once a character is at level 80, they can start the PoF story. It's a good story on its own, but I recommend that you do all of your available stories in order for more flavor. As for upgrading your weapons and armors, you don't really need to. So many exotics drop on their own throughout the world. You can just equip those after figuring out which stats you like the best (For power-based damage, Power-Precision-Ferocity is best. For condi, Power-Precision-Conditional is what I'd recommend. Power is the main ingredient for doing any sort of damage. There's a list of every stat and an explanation of what they do on the wiki).

There is better gear than exotics, i.e. Ascended and Legendary. However, you do not need those to do casual PvE. They are both 5% better than exotics, but that 5% is really only needed in high-end group instances (like raids). They have infusion slots that you'll need for higher-tier fractals for Agony Resistance (not having a sufficient amount will cause you to die in a few seconds). You can get free AR by just running Tier 1 fractals over and over again (run dailies and recommended fractals) and slotting them into your gear's infusion slots. There is also a Wikipedia page for more details. Legendaries are only better than Ascendeds for 1) pretty skins and 2) stat-swappable. They are luxury items for the rich =P

As for classes, play what you want. For casual PvE, you can get away with anything. The most inefficient builds will still work. However, for hardcore PvE and PvP, there are preferred classes. I don't do hardcore PvE or PvP, so you'll have to consult someone else about that (I hear that chrono-mesmers, bannerslave (BS) warriors, and druid-rangers are highly sought in hardcore PvE).

What I'd personally recommend is to make a test dummy character of every class (and possibly race), buy one of every weapon that your class can use from a cheap city weaponseller NPC, open up your PvP tab and enter the PvP lobby, and practice on the golems. See what feels right to you. Don't forget to try the elite specs, too!

And just a final note--if you'll only have Core and PoF, you won't have any HoT features. The most frustrating thing that I can tell from the forums is that people without HoT can't access a lot of guild functions. If you don't mind losing those HoT features or just don't want to spend the money to buy HoT (I hear that keys are super cheap on CDkeys... am I allowed to say that?), then by all means just get PoF.

I hope that this was useful. Don't forget to enjoy the game :3

> @"DebraKadabra.5278" said:

> Level cap has always been 80, was never at 60. Uhhh..

> @"Embered.5089" said:

> > @"ChaseG.4160" said:

> > thanks, chase

>

> Welcome back :3

>

> The level cap is 80 right now, yes. If you buy the PoF-only package, you'll also get one level-80 booster. However, I suggest that you do not use it after such a long break. It will gear you up with standardized exotic gear and re-trait you, and re-build you. And if you go into the new map trusting only what they gave you, you will be even more lost. It's best to play one character up to level 80 yourself first, so that you'll understand which builds and traits you personally like.

>

> Once a character is at level 80, they can start the PoF story. It's a good story on its own, but I recommend that you do all of your available stories in order for more flavor. As for upgrading your weapons and armors, you don't really need to. So many exotics drop on their own throughout the world. You can just equip those after figuring out which stats you like the best (For power-based damage, Power-Precision-Ferocity is best. For condi, Power-Precision-Conditional is what I'd recommend. Power is the main ingredient for doing any sort of damage. There's a list of every stat and an explanation of what they do on the wiki).

>

> There is better gear than exotics, i.e. Ascended and Legendary. However, you do not need those to do casual PvE. They are both 5% better than exotics, but that 5% is really only needed in high-end group instances (like raids). They have infusion slots that you'll need for higher-tier fractals for Agony Resistance (not having a sufficient amount will cause you to die in a few seconds). You can get free AR by just running Tier 1 fractals over and over again (run dailies and recommended fractals) and slotting them into your gear's infusion slots. There is also a Wikipedia page for more details. Legendaries are only better than Ascendeds for 1) pretty skins and 2) stat-swappable. They are luxury items for the rich =P

>

> As for classes, play what you want. For casual PvE, you can get away with anything. The most inefficient builds will still work. However, for hardcore PvE and PvP, there are preferred classes. I don't do hardcore PvE or PvP, so you'll have to consult someone else about that (I hear that chrono-mesmers, bannerslave (BS) warriors, and druid-rangers are highly sought in hardcore PvE).

>

> What I'd personally recommend is to make a test dummy character of every class (and possibly race), buy one of every weapon that your class can use from a cheap city weaponseller NPC, open up your PvP tab and enter the PvP lobby, and practice on the golems. See what feels right to you. Don't forget to try the elite specs, too!

>

> And just a final note--if you'll only have Core and PoF, you won't have any HoT features. The most frustrating thing that I can tell from the forums is that people without HoT can't access a lot of guild functions. If you don't mind losing those HoT features or just don't want to spend the money to buy HoT (I hear that keys are super cheap on CDkeys... am I allowed to say that?), then by all means just get PoF.

>

> I hope that this was useful. Don't forget to enjoy the game :3

thank you heaps for the help !!!