Staff Weaver feels rather meh

Captain Obvious.6951

Staff ele is probably my biggest disappointment in this game. When you think of a Wizard type character you think of Gandalf wielding spells from far range, doing massive damage, dropping comets and meteors and terrifying everyone around them.

The Elementalist in this game with a staff feels slow, clunky and damage isn't all that good except for fire 5.

The dual attacks are kinda cool but I think they should have thrown in some defensive with the offense.

Like Fire/Earth should have been a Falling meteor that does massive aoe physical damage, lights people on fire AND knocks down.

Water/Earth is kind of a cool staff skill too, but I'm thinking it should have been more like quicksand. 90% move skill reduction with good physical dot ticking damage.

Air/Fire coulda have been something sweet like a giant lightning bolt that hits for heavy damage and stuns targets for 1-2 seconds., then opens the ground with a massive lava font.

Air/Earth is pretty meh staff skill. I would have done something like a Massive aoe tornado with sharp jagged rocks spinning dealing damage, that also blinds targets every 1s or something. (Air doesn't always have to be lightning! A tornado is 'air' and rocks are 'earth')

I feel like they kinda half kittened the dual attack skills for staff. It's just throw out a mud puddle, throw out a fire puddle, charge and deal damage in a line. I don't feel like a thought went into these skills at all.

> @"Captain Obvious.6951" said:

> Staff ele is probably my biggest disappointment in this game. When you think of a Wizard type character you think of Gandalf wielding spells from far range, doing massive damage, dropping comets and meteors and terrifying everyone around them.

>

> The Elementalist in this game with a staff feels slow, clunky and damage isn't all that good except for fire 5.

>

> The dual attacks are kinda cool but I think they should have thrown in some defensive with the offense.

>

> Like Fire/Earth should have been a Falling meteor that does massive aoe physical damage, lights people on fire AND knocks down.

>

> Water/Earth is kind of a cool staff skill too, but I'm thinking it should have been more like quicksand. 90% move skill reduction with good physical dot ticking damage.

>

> Air/Fire coulda have been something sweet like a giant lightning bolt that hits for heavy damage and stuns targets for 1-2 seconds., then opens the ground with a massive lava font.

>

> Air/Earth is pretty meh staff skill. I would have done something like a Massive aoe tornado with sharp jagged rocks spinning dealing damage, that also blinds targets every 1s or something. (Air doesn't always have to be lightning! A tornado is 'air' and rocks are 'earth')

>

> I feel like they kinda half kittened the dual attack skills for staff. It's just throw out a mud puddle, throw out a fire puddle, charge and deal damage in a line. I don't feel like a thought went into these skills at all.

Staff was always slow and now with the weaver mechanics it's slower as ever. Some of our important survival skills are locked behind new skills for some 3.0secs, and you have to think carefully about dedicating an utility slot for Unravel. They buffed staff fire autoattack sometime ago (+17% dmg) but, really...? What about the slowness of Lava Font? They nerfed meteor shower and I don't know why...like, couldn't they just split the skill into a WvW version?

> @"Guizao.4167" said:

> > @"Captain Obvious.6951" said:

> > Staff ele is probably my biggest disappointment in this game. When you think of a Wizard type character you think of Gandalf wielding spells from far range, doing massive damage, dropping comets and meteors and terrifying everyone around them.

> >

> > The Elementalist in this game with a staff feels slow, clunky and damage isn't all that good except for fire 5.

> >

> > The dual attacks are kinda cool but I think they should have thrown in some defensive with the offense.

> >

> > Like Fire/Earth should have been a Falling meteor that does massive aoe physical damage, lights people on fire AND knocks down.

> >

> > Water/Earth is kind of a cool staff skill too, but I'm thinking it should have been more like quicksand. 90% move skill reduction with good physical dot ticking damage.

> >

> > Air/Fire coulda have been something sweet like a giant lightning bolt that hits for heavy damage and stuns targets for 1-2 seconds., then opens the ground with a massive lava font.

> >

> > Air/Earth is pretty meh staff skill. I would have done something like a Massive aoe tornado with sharp jagged rocks spinning dealing damage, that also blinds targets every 1s or something. (Air doesn't always have to be lightning! A tornado is 'air' and rocks are 'earth')

> >

> > I feel like they kinda half kittened the dual attack skills for staff. It's just throw out a mud puddle, throw out a fire puddle, charge and deal damage in a line. I don't feel like a thought went into these skills at all.

>

> Staff was always slow and now with the weaver mechanics it's slower as ever. Some of our important survival skills are locked behind new skills for some 3.0secs, and you have to think carefully about dedicating an utility slot for Unravel. They buffed staff fire autoattack sometime ago (+17% dmg) but, really...? What about the slowness of Lava Font? They nerfed meteor shower and I don't know why...like, couldn't they just split the skill into a WvW version?

Staff doesn't even need splitting at all. The buffs that ele in general needs are simply to make many of its attacks quicker and more reliable to hit targets with, especially on staff and sword. Then there won't be such a large disparity between PvP, WvW and PvE and any damage nerfs we get from then on won't gimp us as much. Right now they nerf us for PvE reasons and it makes the weapons even worse for competetive modes even when they aren't good in the first place. If we could actually land our damage as reliably as other classes, our inherent squishiness without building full defense would possibly be completely justified.

Really, looking at balance in general it seems to me like elementalist and necromances are polar opposites. Necromancer has way too many mechanics that are exclusively for PvP and make them monsters there, which makes them usually bad in PvE because those mechanics do not do anything there. On the other hand elementalist has insane damage in PvE because it gets all the support it needs to function and the mobs can be way more stationary than players, while their slow attacks are useless in PvP because it doesn't matter how strong your attack is when the opponent can just walk out of it. People complain about sword needing more damage, but does it really? It needs to actually hit reliably first, then we can talk about damage.

> @"Altion.9576" said:

> It is kinda Meh If I go Weaver Staff on fractals I get smashed, If I go Ele Staff i can be an asset to the team, Weaver in general needs a revision and tune up (and dont get me started on Sword Dagger Weaver)

Hey, don't blame Weaver for your own lack of practice with it.

> @"Altion.9576" said:

> It is kinda Meh If I go Weaver Staff on fractals I get smashed, If I go Ele Staff i can be an asset to the team, Weaver in general needs a revision and tune up (and dont get me started on Sword Dagger Weaver)

I'm personally doing just fine with Sword/Dagger in fractals. I don't see why everyone hates it so much, but I do have to say condi seems a lot better than power. I can get 20 stacks of burn in a couple seconds without much difficulty.

>The Elementalist in this game with a staff feels slow, clunky and damage isn't all that good except for fire 5.

Staff should be slow. There are other wepons for Ele which are faster.

The rotation for PvE could be a bit more fluid, your right about that.

Not sure if you are playing a different weaver, but mine does tons of damage.

>The dual attacks are kinda cool but I think they should have thrown in some defensive with the offense.

Dual attacks are fine for the most part imo. What you suggested would turn them into overpowerd skills. They aren't meant to be specially strong like the burst attacks of the war, they are just additional weapon skills. Only changes I'd like to see would be making W/E an actual water field and reduction of the E/A cast time.

> @"kelsier.9124" said:

> > @"Wentworth.6901" said:

> > I can get 20 stacks of burn in a couple seconds without much difficulty.

>

> How did you manage to do that? I thought Anet nerfed condi stacks and increased condi duration in a patch several weeks ago.

Start in Fire/Air. Use fire signet(4 stacks), then the 3 skill (6 or 7 stacks of burn). Double attune to fire and use primordial stance (8 stacks), then 2, 3, and auto attack. Hits 20 without a problem (though for fire/air 3 your opponent needs to stay still). Add in glyph of elemental power and you can get another 5 stacks. In my rotation I do this about every 20 seconds, and I use a bunch of bleeds in between, and trigger 3 fire blast finishers and 30 seconds of fury. Plus I use the might on crit sigil, and maintain 15ish stacks at a time. Feels pretty powerful to me.