How expensive is maintaining a power and a condi set?

pajamaboi.9534

Hello,

I'm a returning player from a while ago, and I really enjoy how power warrior plays (I really like using greatsword, sword, and axe abilities). So I would like to play this way for open world PVE, (slowly) going for things like world completion. However, I plan to make a lot of my time high end PVE, since this is what I enjoy in all the MMOs I play. After much Googling around, it seems that condi or support is the way to go for a Warrior in high end PVE. So my question is, will it be unreasonable to keep a set of condi or support gear for Raids/Fractals and also a set of power gear for having fun in the open world (and maybe also WvW)? Or maybe I will only have to be worrying about keeping raid gear "up to date" and the power gear I can leave at a certain point?

I'm operating on the assumption that gear upgrading is similar to other MMOs so when I say expensive, I mean not only/necessarily money wise but also time and effort wise.

Thanks!

What do you mean by "up to date"?

Once you get ascended gear of the stats you want. ..you're set. You can convert said ascended gear to other stats via mystic forge if the meta changes. ..but there's no upgrade to ascended. (Legendary has the same stats, it just allows you to change on the fly).

I would say, for open world, you only need exotics, which are very cheap to come by.

Technically exotics are fine for raids too, but the elitists will whine about that.

And same for WvW.

There's only a 5% difference in stats of exotics to ascended.

But ascended doesn't take too long to craft, it can be somewhat costly, however.

> @"Taygus.4571" said:

> What do you mean by "up to date"?

>

> Once you get ascended gear of the stats you want. ..you're set. You can convert said ascended gear to other stats via mystic forge if the meta changes. ..but there's no upgrade to ascended. (Legendary has the same stats, it just allows you to change on the fly).

>

> I would say, for open world, you only need exotics, which are very cheap to come by.

> Technically exotics are fine for raids too, but the elitists will whine about that.

> And same for WvW.

>

> There's only a 5% difference in stats of exotics to ascended.

>

> But ascended doesn't take too long to craft, it can be somewhat costly, however.

Ah I see thanks! So you're saying that to get the set that will work enough for open world (exotics), I wouldn't have to expend too much time/money. So I can focus on getting the "end game" gear for raiding? I guess I just kinda assumed the gear progression/treadmill had more steps in it haha.

There's no gear treadmill in this game :)

Exotics can be got via dungeon tokens, WvW/PvP reward tracks, drops in OW content..in particular meta events drop them regularly but this is luck based, ..they can also be bought off the Trading Post for gold that's easily earned. They're not too expensive. They can also be crafted, but it's often better to simply skip crafting if exotic and aim for ascended as crafting is probably the most costly route for exotics.

I would say for a power build (I assume bezerker gear?), dungeon tokens and reward tracks will be your fastest route, unless you enjoy farming gold.

I'm not sure of the time commitment as I haven't farmed gear in 4 years but it's pretty quick.

But i suggest you still work on crafting especially weapon smith and armor smith, since it is your easier way towards ascended weapon and armor.

You can get trinket by a lot of ways...

Crafting exotic gear can be costly, but it is the only way to get yourself to lv500, check TP for selling price and only craft the gear that best selling and expensive. The way you can cover your leveling cost by a large margin.

> @"Crossaber.8934" said:

> But i suggest you still work on crafting especially weapon smith and armor smith, since it is your easier way towards ascended weapon and armor.

> You can get trinket by a lot of ways...

>

> Crafting exotic gear can be costly, but it is the only way to get yourself to lv500, check TP for selling price and only craft the gear that best selling and expensive. The way you can cover your leveling cost by a large margin.

I would think, one ia better off following the crafting guide for leveling crafts?

http://gw2crafts.net

Aren't expensive exotics, usually so because the materials are expensive? Therefore you're usually making a loss regardless if you craft the expensive or the cheaper one's to sell?

At least, that was the impression I was under. XD.

> @"Taygus.4571" said:

> > @"Crossaber.8934" said:

> > But i suggest you still work on crafting especially weapon smith and armor smith, since it is your easier way towards ascended weapon and armor.

> > You can get trinket by a lot of ways...

> >

> > Crafting exotic gear can be costly, but it is the only way to get yourself to lv500, check TP for selling price and only craft the gear that best selling and expensive. The way you can cover your leveling cost by a large margin.

>

> I would think, one ia better off following the crafting guide for leveling crafts?

> http://gw2crafts.net

>

> Aren't expensive exotics, usually so because the materials are expensive? Therefore you're usually making a loss regardless if you craft the expensive or the cheaper one's to sell?

>

> At least, that was the impression I was under. XD.

>

>

>

>

Berserker exotic heavy armor is selling 8-9g on TP each, rampager exotic heavy armor is selling 1.5g each, do you think the T6 material cost alone can make this huge price differences?

Light coat zerk but still, same cost as heavy. .81silver profit via crafting

http://www.gw2spidy.com/recipe/2548

Compared with soldiers exotic..which is much cheaper to craft.. 1g profit ;)

http://www.gw2spidy.com/recipe/8348

Using ur examples.

Rampagers heavy on the other hand is a loss.

http://www.gw2spidy.com/recipe/701

But you make less than 40 silver on your zerk.

http://www.gw2spidy.com/recipe/700

Afaik, the crafting guides take into consideration sell profit? So I would follow the guides as they update as values change.

Edit: because I just realised this posted in warrior, so edited to compare heavy armor.

Soldier's makes a 3silver profit...but much cheaper to craft for leveling....which is necessary to consider when starting out and low in mats and gold.

Crafting ascended Viper’s armor will take the most effort, but there’s nothing to maintain once you have it and you can always use the same set on a guardian if you decide to try out Firebrand.

Berserker gear is a lot easier to obtain and exotics are fine. You could buy it from the TP or craft it, but you can also get it from dungeon tokens or from other random pieces that you get as rewards for things like living story where stats are selectable.

If you enjoy PvP, you could even get pieces from several of the reward tracks there.

I found that swapping armor stats on Ascended each time I wanted to change up a build was overly cumbersome and added expense. I found this even more pronounced when using exotic armors as they could not be used character to character.

Ultimately the cheapest and easiest method was just to roll up another character of the same class, use up all those tomes stacked away to get him to 80 and gear him up in the appropriate set. This saves on locker space and time. if you are invited to do a fractal and want a condition build over a power build, just log in your condition build. He instantly ready to go.

> @"babazhook.6805" said:

> I found that swapping armor stats on Ascended each time I wanted to change up a build was overly cumbersome and added expense. I found this even more pronounced when using exotic armors as they could not be used character to character.

>

> Ultimately the cheapest and easiest method was just to roll up another character of the same class, use up all those tomes stacked away to get him to 80 and gear him up in the appropriate set. This saves on locker space and time. if you are invited to do a fractal and want a condition build over a power build, just log in your condition build. He instantly ready to go.

It is actually what i do too, i have multiple characters of each classes ready for wvw, swap tons is much easier.

• 2 weeks later...