Scourge Specialization Updates for the Path of Fire Launch

Irenio CalmonHuang.2048

I probably won't be bothering with using the sand shades at all. Not worth the effort of micromanaging them every 20 seconds while keeping a rotation up, when the support is gonna be shitty anyway. Either okay damage or okay support. Meanwhile there will always be the 2 chronos, 2 ps warriors, and 2 druids for raids and rest rangers/warriors/guardians/eles.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Lucifirius.3196 said:

> I probably won't be bothering with using the sand kitten at all. Not worth the effort of micromanaging them every 20 seconds while keeping a rotation up, when the support is gonna be kitten anyway. Either okay damage or okay support. Meanwhile there will always be the 2 chronos, 2 ps warriors, and 2 druids for raids and rest rangers/warriors/guardians/eles.

Now Sand Soul and Blood as Sand need buffs, because we wont be able to have more then 2 Shade up.

-Sand Soul should be buffed to grant +100 Concentration/Expertise per Shade!

-Blood as Sand should now reduce 7% damage per Shade!

> @mazut.4296 said:

> > @Lucifirius.3196 said:

> > I probably won't be bothering with using the sand kitten at all. Not worth the effort of micromanaging them every 20 seconds while keeping a rotation up, when the support is gonna be kitten anyway. Either okay damage or okay support. Meanwhile there will always be the 2 chronos, 2 ps warriors, and 2 druids for raids and rest rangers/warriors/guardians/eles.

>

> Now Sand Soul and Blood as Sand need buffs, because we wont be able to have more then 2 Shade up.

> -Sand Soul should be buffed to grant +100 Concentration/Expertise per Shade!

> -Blood as Sand should now reduce 7% damage per Shade!

Unlikely to happen... With sand savant it is still easy to get the full buffs.

> @Shadowresli.3782 said:

> > @UnDeadFun.5824 said:

> > Please stop nerfing Necro in pve for pvp and wvw "balance". Please.

>

> yeah, continue to ruin wvw for pve and pvp balance issues, like you do since 2012

Well... Nobody can disagree that the scourge e-spec was way to strong for WvW. All the tools of the spec are litterally a killer for this gamemode. Before HoT when necromancers needed damage, it's right that they introduced the stupid dhuumfire, creating a nightmarish condi spec for WvW that wasn't even competitive for PvE. After Hot, it's also right that they made it really hard for WvW with the _Deathly chill_ change, yet it didn't really do any good for PvE. There is a need to split balance in PvE and WvW.

Also, I'm not convince that the nerfs announced will do any good to reduce the potency of the scourge in WvW, it will still tune down it a bit. In PvP, the impact of the scourge might be a bit more manageable for other professions. However, if we do not take into consideration any change on the core necromancer, as it stand, the scourge already have no spot to stand in this game mode. Well, the support was already a joke for the gamemode, the real bother is the increase in LF cost of _desert shroud_ which could be seen as the cornerstone of the scourge dps in PvE.

We can only hope for proper balance change on the core necromancer.

> @maelstrom.6492 said:

> > @Shadowresli.3782 said:

> > > @UnDeadFun.5824 said:

> > > Please stop nerfing Necro in pve for pvp and wvw "balance". Please.

> >

> > yeah, continue to ruin wvw for pve and pvp balance issues, like you do since 2012

>

> Or they could skill split and not ruin any modes...?

I hope it's possible for ANet to do this, we need this fast

This way no one get hurt (okay, maybe still get hurt, but less)

I think the game would have been better if instead of having designers do balance work we had guys specialized in balance try to design specs. Both are bad practice though. I'm disappointed ANet doesn't have a dedicated balance team. It shows.

Can't wait for them to bend traits even more for Scourge to have better synergies. Traits were bent so many times it's a freaking mess for the specs left behind (and those to come).

On the bright side: Scourge has only been nerfed once since we were able to test it. Reaper was nerfed 3 times. It's a huge improvement !

> @akenoyuki.8210 said:

> > @maelstrom.6492 said:

> > > @Shadowresli.3782 said:

> > > > @UnDeadFun.5824 said:

> > > > Please stop nerfing Necro in pve for pvp and wvw "balance". Please.

> > >

> > > yeah, continue to ruin wvw for pve and pvp balance issues, like you do since 2012

> >

> > Or they could skill split and not ruin any modes...?

>

> I hope it's possible for ANet to do this, we need this fast

> This way no one get hurt (okay, maybe still get hurt, but less)

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Epidemic

They can do it and did it already. But nahhhh they are either too lazy or simply do not care to do it for these types of problems. Which means RIP in all modes instead of a nerf where the problem arises.

Btw, Deadeye kept it's buffspreading 5 on himself and five at target location, without having to waste a GRANDMASTER trait for it (sand savant). Much balance, such wow.

And I haven'T seen Firebran burn application nerfs either and that thing stacks 45+ burns easily, but naaahh, Demonic lore needs a 3 sec ICD instead of just not applying multiple stacks burn when applying multiple stacks torment at once. Oh and our utilities aren't allowed to actually do anything without enemies having buffs on them, because getting one stack torment baseline and another 1 or 2 stacks on corruption would be waaay too busted...meanwhile firebrand mantras. This is exactly the same fail that happened with release Reaper, where shouts did not have any of the bonus effects when not hitting a target, but at least that was just hitting, and they fixed that too. Now we got the same BS with punishment skills and the new LF gain on Harrowing Wave.

> @Shadowresli.3782 said:

> > @UnDeadFun.5824 said:

> > Please stop nerfing Necro in pve for pvp and wvw "balance". Please.

>

> yeah, continue to ruin wvw for pve and pvp balance issues, like you do since 2012

WvW balance is a meme and a pipe dream. The game mode itself means it is an impossible task so yeah, ruining two other modes for one that absolutely CANNOT be balanced is pretty ridiculous.

> @Vyrulisse.1246 said:

> > @Shadowresli.3782 said:

> > > @UnDeadFun.5824 said:

> > > Please stop nerfing Necro in pve for pvp and wvw "balance". Please.

> >

> > yeah, continue to ruin wvw for pve and pvp balance issues, like you do since 2012

>

> WvW balance is a meme and a pipe dream. The game mode itself means it is an impossible task so yeah, ruining two other modes for one that absolutely CANNOT be balanced is pretty ridiculous.

Especially since they could just split it and only nerf the sh@des in WvW, which definitly were a bit rediculous.

> @"Irenio CalmonHuang.2048" said:

> * **Manifest Sand Shade**: Reduced duration of shade from 25s to 20s. Reduced target cap from 5 to 3.

> * Sand Savant: Reduced the increased number of targets on **Manifest Sand Shade** from 5 to 2. (So it now increases it to 5)

Notice it only affects manifest sand shade, not other shade skills.

They can still hit 10 or 15 target.

> @Shiki.7148 said:

> > @Vyrulisse.1246 said:

> > > @Shadowresli.3782 said:

> > > > @UnDeadFun.5824 said:

> > > > Please stop nerfing Necro in pve for pvp and wvw "balance". Please.

> > >

> > > yeah, continue to ruin wvw for pve and pvp balance issues, like you do since 2012

> >

> > WvW balance is a meme and a pipe dream. The game mode itself means it is an impossible task so yeah, ruining two other modes for one that absolutely CANNOT be balanced is pretty ridiculous.

>

> Especially since they could just split it and only nerf the sh@des in WvW, which definitly were a bit rediculous.

Agreed. I'm not saying they shouldn't try to balance WvW but it really needs to be an entirely separate entity much like PvP is for the most part. Three game modes in this game are not compatible with each other, they have skill splitting so I don't understand why they don't use it for stuff like this. It makes zero sense to me.

> @guildabd.6529 said:

> > @"Irenio CalmonHuang.2048" said:

> > * **Manifest Sand Shade**: Reduced duration of shade from 25s to 20s. Reduced target cap from 5 to 3.

> > * Sand Savant: Reduced the increased number of targets on **Manifest Sand Shade** from 5 to 2. (So it now increases it to 5)

> Notice it only affects manifest sand shade, not other shade skills.

> They can still hit 10 or 15 target.

Untrue, that number is the general number of hits per shade skill, it's based on the MSS value.

>Btw, Deadeye kept it's buffspreading 5 on himself and five at target location, without having to waste a GRANDMASTER trait for it (sand savant). Much balance, such wow.

Deadeye not only spreads buffs better than a "support" spec, it also does higher damage AND has higher range for the spreading. BALANCED.

> @"Irenio CalmonHuang.2048" said:

> * Manifest Sand Shade: Reduced duration of shade from 25s to 20s. Reduced target cap from 5 to 3.

> * Nefarious Favor: Increased cost from 15% to 21% base vitality in life force.

> * Garish Pillar: Reduced cost from 50% to 40% of base vitality in life force.

> * Desert Shroud: Increased cost from 40% to 50% of base vitality in life force.

Mainly comments for PvE and PvP. In WvW it was too strong before so I think the changes are fair for THAT specific gamemode.

I could understand wanting to make it harder to "spam" Nefarious Favor but I don't understand the Desert Shroud change. Sure it is a powerful skill through trait synergy but increasing the cost will be a big hit to scourge defence as Condi necro has bad lifeforce generation and even though torch got some now it feels very unlikely that will change much.

The sand shade duration is an indirect nerf to the minor traits. This part already felt awkward and clunky about scourge. Without a recharge reduction it's gonna feel really immobile because without the shade-s you are a huge target. For PvE this won't do much defensively but it's gonna feel a lot more limited and therefor less fun to move around if you are in an area with lot's of foes.

The target cap reduction is a big hit for support scourge. It reduces choice and kinda forces you into taking sand savant if you don't want it to feel awkward.

This is why there should be different target caps for allies and foes on skills. Because by reducing offensive power you reduced the supportive power as well and support scourge already felt lacking compared to existing good supports.

Horrible changes really.

The worst thing: the reduced shade uptime. Our minors are all based around having shades up, and these minors where WEAK compared to other classes. Now these are even weaker due to decreased uptime.

The lifeforce gain on torch is nice, but you also increases the LF cost of the "bread and butter" skill in WvW and PvP. We need MORE access to these skills and to lifeforce, not LESS.

The reduced target cap on shades is a big bummer, you could change that for WvW only. The reduced barrier from traits alongsinde the target cap, removed ANY hint of potential raid viability on the supportive side.

No damage buffs to compensate for all of this. Shade skills are still on that laughable base duration of 2 seconds, this is nothing compared to other classes, especially now that you further increased the lifeforce cost of the only skill that was somewhat reliably spammable to proc the shade attack. No guaranteed torment on punishment skills, leaving these skills completly useless in PVE. Less shade uptime, higher lifeforce cost, lesser access to the already weak minor traits = a huge nerf to the already weak DPS, and to top it off also a significant nerf to the supportive side. Our shade Grandmaster now turns our shades into a real skill, while other classes all have 5 target caps on default on all skills.

All of the great ideas i have seen here on the past couple weeks and months have been completly ignored, still no unique offensive way to buff allies, still no way to maintain a good dps. Instead of a lifeforce buff, we got a nerf. A little bit more options with the punishment skills, but really these will continue to suck in PVE,in PVP we won't be using them because we starve for any lifeforce we can get. No help against focus fire either... seriously what is this?

Come on guys, Scourge is definitly a strong class, they didn't kill it, they nerfed it so it's not killing Wvw, you're still a big mass of barrier ffs, everyone will wish to have scourge in their group. It's still doing a great job in applying lots of conditions/ cleansing conditions / applying barrier. In raid, you'll still be needed.

Will Reaper/greatsword get any changes to be a better power build? That's our only hope really now...

I've mained necro for 5 years now and I want to do raids... I'll probably go main another character now for the first time in GW2 since release. I'm not much of a support player type anyway so Scourge really didn't give me hope for raiding with that.

> @Hana.8143 said:

> Come on guys, Scourge is definitly a strong class, they didn't kill it, they nerfed it so it's not killing Wvw, you're still a big mass of barrier kitten, everyone will wish to have scourge in their group. It's still doing a great job in applying lots of conditions/ cleansing conditions / applying barrier. In raid, you'll still be needed.

>everyone will wish to have scourge in their group

>In raid, you'll still be needed.

Lol. I know you must justify your nerf crying, but this is hilarious.

Actual reality:

* Barrier is unwanted and was nerfed on top of it. The barrier decay was NOT addressed

* DPS was nerfed hard

* People will just run a cPS warrior and never bother with scourges, who are simply a worse choice

Scourge support is dead with these changes.

> @Hana.8143 said:

> Come on guys, Scourge is definitly a strong class, they didn't kill it, they nerfed it so it's not killing Wvw, you're still a big mass of barrier kitten, everyone will wish to have scourge in their group. It's still doing a great job in applying lots of conditions/ cleansing conditions / applying barrier. In raid, you'll still be needed.

You have absolutely no clue, do you? No one wants, no, no one NEEDS barriers in raids because there is enough healing. No one wants, or needs, might because Warriors easily provide that, while laso having good dps. Scourge DPS from what I've seen cannot hold a candle to eg. Firebrand dps, or Staff Ele, or what have you. There is absolutely no reason anyone would want a scourge except maybe for those 2 condition heavy raids, but even Scourge's usefullness there has been nerfed since one Scourge cannot provide for the whole raid anymore. At least not without kneecapping the damage output. So... no. The change is horrible, and should be WvW only and functioning like it did before in PvP (where it doesn't matter) and PvE (where it really, really helps in raids). A