Would you like to see underwater content in the next LS/EXP and why (if they rework combat system)?

Evil.1580

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have changed the title a little so it doesn't bring confusion. Maybe now more people will agree that Underwater content is indeed a very nice idea.

Yes, of course. It doesn't have to be strictly underwater but to give us more reasons to be underwater :)

> @Makai.3429 said:

> An underwater expansion/LS doesn't have to be strictly in water all the time. I'm envisioning a map where you have enclosed, land-based sections surrounded by domes, which are separating by swimming. Something akin to Earthworm Jim or Bioshock.

I have not voted yet because there is no suggestions for what would constitute the rework. For example, I would love it if I could go from swimming on the surface to underwater with the pagedown key (rather than needing to use my mouse) but hate it if I needed to keep doing the keyboard/mouse shuffle whenever I wanted to do underwater content.

No. Hell no. Fuck no.

No matter what they do, every single underwater MMO sucks with underwater combat because of the way that hitboxes suck with the Z-axis. The **only** way that GW2 could handle this would be through a complete re-work of combat mechanics and hit boxes, which is entirely unfeasible.

And on top of that, underwater movement is slow, which kills the joy of movement. I can't imagine enjoying a move from fast, mobile, and diverse land/air travel to the slow, dull, underwater movement.

So, the biggest problem, I think, with underwater combat in its current iteration is:

A. Too few skills work underwater. I feel really bad for Revenants in this regard.

B. Enemies have **awful** animations, appearing to teleport when they move or change focus to different targets.

C. It's difficult to find enemies in 3d space.

How would these problems be fixed?

A2. create underwater versions of all the skills; if their functionality doesn't work underwater, get creative. They don't necessarily have to be 1 to 1.

B2. Create new movement tech for moving underwater (similar to how theirs movement tech specifically for mounts). Underwater enemies like sharks shouldn't move to the player and start biting and flipping around to attack random players on a whim. Give them abilities and behaviors that prevent this.

C2. Design underwater areas with set pieces that allow players to anchor themselves in the 3d space... or, create a UI element to help determine depth (like a faint tether to your target).

I think they can make underwater content fun; if anyone doesn't want underwater content, it's probably because it's very bad in its current form (or they simply hate the idea of moving in 3d space like that, which I get).

Honestly, the best compromise would be to have a 1/3 mix of land and water... think like... a Bloodtide Coast type mix.

I had the same idea this week, a 100% water map or even patch/expansion would be really great. That being said, underwater content really badly needs its rework first. It's just bad and inconsistent right now, ie my guardian for instance only has access to 2 weapons and 1 is an underwater dedicated healing staff...

> @bOTEB.1573 said:

> I'd love to explore such maps. **Of Course, after combat system has been touched here and there to make it more intuitive and exciting.**

>

> 1. New enemies

> 2. Possibly new race

> 3. Bubbles?

> 4. Underwater mounts and mechanics to travel with currents?

> 5. Love the visuals of the legendary underwater weapons

> 6. Something new

> 7. Pirate ships battles

> 8. Submarine Battles

> 9. Mermaids?

> 10. Underwater caves with legendary monsters and unknown treasures?

> 11. Riding a shark?

> 12. Dolphins race?

> 13. Bubbles?

> 14. Areas I haven't been/heard before

> 15. Giant octopus meta event with 8 grps for 8 tentacles to defeat?

> 16. Bubbles?

> 17. Vertical exploration?

No. Underwater combat is HORRIBLE. It's like you're moving through molasses. Your skills (and pets) are all different. You do wet-garbage damage, even with legendary equipment. AOE fields and mechanics don't exist. Lining up properly on your target's hit-box is very derpy, etc, etc. Underwater combat is complete trash.

Id be happy if, in addition to never making more underwater content, they also removed the content that currently exists.