Bring life back to PoF maps with earnable mount skins

Mewcifer.5198

So this is how my suggestion goes:

Make each renown heart give a special map-specific currency.

Make the renown heart vendors associated with the mounts have a mount skin that can be bought with this the map specific currency.

Make the mount skin cost enough that it would take a considerable amount of time coming back every day in order to earn enough to purchase them.

Make the mount skins have at least 2 dye channels to make them more customizable than the base skins, but not as special as gem store items.

This would settle the people who want an earnable mount skin as well as giving something that would draw players back to the PoF maps.

I remember doing quest lines and farming reputation in WoW for special mounts. It was a lot of fun and a feel of achievement when you got your special mount (i.e. the flying dragon/serpent in Pandaria or the netherwing drakes in BC).

Why not doing this? It's a huge opportunity and you would keep players longer on these maps. Instead you put Every. Single. Mount. into the gem store - as was with glider skins. Not one single one. I understand anet needs our money, but at least put 10% of those skins into the actual game instead of just gem store. It's not really fun to just buy it. Let us earn it (and I don't mean farming gold -> gems -> item).

I like the fact that PoF maps are not HoT 2.0 and can be played with small group of friends instead of whole zergs. These maps are not dead. Players are there. Exploration and small scale events is what these maps are made for. They wanted them feel more like core Tyria and they suceeded, no need for a change.

As I expected, big group event farms came with LW4. Let's see what next episode brings. Let PoF be the way it is. It's really good expansion and maps are amazing.

10/10 would still not play PoF maps. You say it should require a considerable amount of time over days to get a skin. A Mount Adoption License costs 400 gems. I rather play content I like for several days, get gold in return and buy 400 gems for 108 gold. Then go and buy a mount skin that has 4 dye channels. Sometimes I make 108 gold in a day.

Rewards only don't make people enjoy the content more. You will have some additional players who come to the area, but only good content draws people to play it regularly. At some point, you have all those skins, and then people who only came for the reward will leave again.

I like this idea.

I like the PoF maps and that you can wander them without feeling like you have to fight for your life every step, but I can understand that for a lot of people there isn't enough reward for doing so.

You don't need to keep the currency linked to the hearts, give it as rewards for small events, or even a small amount as random drops as well. Anything to make it feel like there is a reward for being there without introducing the big meta events to the maps.

> @"Oenanthe.6549" said:

> I like this idea.

>

> I like the PoF maps and that you can wander them without feeling like you have to fight for your life every step, but I can understand that for a lot of people there isn't enough reward for doing so.

>

> You don't need to keep the currency linked to the hearts, give it as rewards for small events, or even a small amount as random drops as well. Anything to make it feel like there is a reward for being there without introducing the big meta events to the maps.

I figured tying it to hearts would be a good way to limit how many people could get in a day in order to encourage people to come back daily. Although some of the more "meta" events could maybe also drop them as well (things like Maw of Torment, Augury Rock, Serpent's Ire).

Edit to add: it would also make people have to go to different locations across the map instead of just finding one event that spawns often and farming it.

You realise that selling mounts on the gem store is and will be a huge part of Arenanets income for the foreseeable future? the chances of them giving us even a single earnable mount via gameplay is extremely low, sure it would be great if they do and it is possible ofc, if they are to ever do this I imagine it would be with Aurene but then again I'm also probably living with my head in the clouds. Bottom line is I think it's better if we do not expect Arenanet to let us eat from their table.

> @"Plautze.6290" said:

> Brink back life? I never noticed they were dead, but I might be mistaken... running around in a zerg for too long has the side effect of making normally populated maps seem under-populated, I guess.

I'm not in a guild and don't have scheduled times to go to these zones, but my experience is that there's almost never people around for events etc. Even when the daily is a bounty it's very hard to get anyone to join you to complete one.

I know that no one who's into this wants to hear it, but ANet isn't going to give away mounts. It's not going to happen. They didn't give away gliders, they're not going to give away mounts. Especially when they can apparently get $25 for a single skin for a single mount type. As much as you would like it to happen, and think it would be super neat and cool if they did, it's just not going to happen.

> @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> I know that no one who's into this wants to hear it, but ANet isn't going to give away mounts. It's not going to happen. They didn't give away gliders, they're not going to give away mounts. Especially when they can apparently get $25 for a single skin for a single mount type. As much as you would like it to happen, and think it would be super neat and cool if they did, it's just not going to happen.

I mean, people can always ask, even if the chance is low.