Getting back to Guild Wars 2

ddak.3150

Hello everyone,

I would like a help from you - I want to get back to Guild Wars 2, and I need help with these expansions , so I'll put it this way so I can get an answer:

1 - Should I get both expansions, Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire?

2 - I used to play thief before (I think condition build as I remember) - since a lot has changed, is thief still ok class to play with? If yes, please tell me something about it or send me a link so I can read about new skills and builds until my game finish downloading.

3 - Should I have issues finding a clan or a group for raids and fractals by playing thief, or you recommend me to try something else, something every party needs?

4 - How long you think I will need to play to prepare myself for the endgame content? How long changing all gear will take?

So far, that's all I can think of.

Thanks in an advance,

First of all:

* What type of content do you like? (Open World Tyria, dungeons, raids, wvw, pvp etc)

* Which types of content did you find difficult/easy, did you think dungeons had a good difficulty, or did you think Open World Tyria was a bit hard?

* Did you get your thief to level 80, and had Exotic gear (or better) last time?

I'll answer what I can, I'm no pro though:

1: That depends a lot on what you want out of the game. If you like some more challenges then sure, the new class elite specializations can be tempting, new story if you're into that. Hot has gliding that works in most of the rest of the game, and Pof has mounts that also works in most of the rest of the game. Both are good, but also both tend to be "aimed" at specific audiences, not everyone likes them, and a lot likes one bot not the other etc. I can only recommend doing some research and reading up on both before making a decision.

2: Can't answer everything here, I do know Thieves do well in Open World Tyria (well, everything does). And Thief is still a popular ganker/roamer class in WvW. Sorry don't know about the rest.

For reading material, Metabattle is good for seeing what is popular, and they usually explain the builds pretty well. Don't take everything for holy gospel, it's largely a good start to build from or get inspiration for own stuff though: http://metabattle.com/wiki/Thief

4: Depends on what you want to go for, for example the core thief build on metabattle listed for Fractals lists all Berserk stats, with schoolar runes, and a couple of Force sigils. That isn't very expensive/hard to get if you go for exotics, which will last you through the early fractals. And you can probably fit enough agony resistance on ascended trinkets to last you pretty high, and you can get the trinkets through Fractals or laurels.

1: A lot of content is locked behind HoT. I think the very concept of Masteries, but I'm not certain about that. I don't know if you can unlock Tyria Masteries if you don't have HoT. Hot has gliders which are extremely useful. I don't think you can participate in Raids without HoT. You definitely can't participate in Season 3 without HoT. The new Legendaries are all locked behind HoT. Both HoT and PoF have their own elite specs which are only available through that Xpac.

Personally I really enjoyed HoT, the zones are very interesting, and even this far after the fact remain active, so you can participate meaningfully. The story was short, and the ending was questionable, but acceptable. I wish they'd gone a different way, though. It didn't feel like they'd really thought it through.

PoF has less content. They introduce Mounts, and Mounts turned out to be pretty awesome. The Mastery lines are specifically for making the Mounts more useful and nothing else. The maps are significantly larger. Each new map being larger than the one before it to an almost ridiculous degree. The single largest map in the game right now is in PoF. Season 4 is locked behind PoF.

I think I enjoyed HoT more than PoF for replayability, but I found the story in PoF to be significantly superior to HoT. It is seriously epic. And short of a single mission that they should have split up, but didn't, it is well paced.

2: I have no idea what is meta, and I don't particularly care. I have three thieves. One is technically a daredevil (HoT elite spec) but only because I wanted three dodges. Other than that he's a D/D condi thief. I also have a real Daredevil using staff and physical skills and a Deadeye (PoF elite) sniper with rifle and cantrips. I enjoy both, but it is my understanding that Deadeye is looked down on for the most part.

3: No idea what the meta is, can't help.

4: That depends entirely on where you left off and when. If you were already participating in Fractals and Dungeons you should be fine. If you feel you need Ascended it may take a while depending on how well funded you left yourself. If you're willing to change your character to suit the group then it just depends on how quickly you can acclimate to the build.

Thank you all for the answers,

As far as I have researched, it is true what Kal Spiro said - if I'm gonna need masteries I will need HoT. Which is why I will buy both expansions.

As for the Thief, I played high end content before I left, have some ascended gear with other exotics, but I know that I used a condition build. Probably gonna read about those builds you've mentioned on that site you linked and see what to do.

Thank you all,

Sincerely,

> @"ddak.3150" said:

> 1 - Should I get both expansions, Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire?

> 2 - I used to play thief before (I think condition build as I remember) - since a lot has changed, is thief still ok class to play with? If yes, please tell me something about it or send me a link so I can read about new skills and builds until my game finish downloading.

> 3 - Should I have issues finding a clan or a group for raids and fractals by playing thief, or you recommend me to try something else, something every party needs?

> 4 - How long you think I will need to play to prepare myself for the endgame content? How long changing all gear will take?

1. Yes, both expansions and Living World Season 3 (2 is your choice)

2. Yes, thief is fine. You’ll have two level 80 boosts if you buy both expansions, so you can make whatever profession is most needed by your guild anyways. Qtfy.eu or metabattle.com for build options, but don’t sweat it too much at first.

3. Different groups have different needs. I’d guess Druid (ranger elite spec) is best if you want to be most in demand, but I’m not 100% sure, and you really should do whatever you enjoy most. This game is more casual, so enjoyment usually trumps all.

4. For fractal 100, you need 36 days after you level the proper crafting to 450 unless you buy expensive ascended mats on TP. For raids, less since exotic armor is fine.