How come there isnt a RP forum on the official guildwars2 site?

Yup! Y'all kin read me RPing almost every day outside o' the bank in Divinity's Reach, and ah does it in character where possible and haz been there since around 2012-2013. Course, RP folks is the sort o' folkz thut ah likez fer they haz ah imaginatin' but ah also gitz me ah lot o' unwanted attention from trolls fer goin' 'bout ma bit'ness trying to brighten other folkz dayz wiv ah bit o' backwoods mentality an all. If y'all kin make sense o' whut ah haz wrote here, y'all is over-educated (and welcome to contact me anytime you like).

At their best I see roleplayers as the entertainers of Tyria (jonglers) who make the world come alive. Some are good at this, some are awfully dire and unbelievable. I prefer to method act, meaning I adopt a role and live that role while playing and comment and reply accordingly when addressed by other players - roleplaying or not. I've had plenty of people over the years stop and just read my dialogue. Often its meaningless, often I play my character as a drunkard and braggard and this allows for enormous scope in regards to personality. Adopting an accent (backwoods) was done to give myself that extra challenge and to elect some degree of humor from what most people assume is a 'hick' soldier in the employ of the Black Citiadel.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> I thought (MMO)RPG meant a game where you play the role of the main character, or one of the main characters of the game's story. I was unaware it meant making up your _own_ story. If I had thought that, I might have looked elsewhere. /shrug

The definition of RPG, MMO or not, is pretty broad. You can be doing basically anything in the game and it will be RP if that is what you consider it to be. It sounds like you are thinking of structured RP, and we sort of have that with the PS/LS, however most people just get in-character and do something (like take on a mission, go on a quest, or just sit in a tavern and talk in character).

This is coming from a fellow RPer that is also a PVxer..

No.

Just no.

GW2RP is fine where it is.

The only MMOs that actually dedicate something to RPers is the ones that are strictly RP only with little PVE and nothing else. Let's not use up resources when the main point of the game needs improvements.

Edit: Do you see the mess that is DR RP? I rather not come to the forums to facepalm everytime I see a catfolk or warlock from Pathfinder try to explain why they are in the GW2 universe. It's like promoting Tumblr or Facebook RP; You don't do it.

> @"Lilyanna.9361" said:

> This is coming from a fellow RPer that is also a PVxer..

>

> No.

> Just no.

> GW2RP is fine where it is.

>

> The only MMOs that actually dedicate something to RPers is the ones that are strictly RP only with little PVE and nothing else. Let's not use up resources when the main point of the game needs improvements.

>

> Edit: Do you see the mess that is DR RP? I rather not come to the forums to facepalm everytime I see a catfolk or warlock from Pathfinder try to explain why they are in the GW2 universe. It's like promoting Tumblr or Facebook RP; You don't do it.

The RP mess in DR is largely because of the non-support. If they were all in the same shard or 2 there would be no conflict.

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > @"Lilyanna.9361" said:

> > This is coming from a fellow RPer that is also a PVxer..

> >

> > No.

> > Just no.

> > GW2RP is fine where it is.

> >

> > The only MMOs that actually dedicate something to RPers is the ones that are strictly RP only with little PVE and nothing else. Let's not use up resources when the main point of the game needs improvements.

> >

> > Edit: Do you see the mess that is DR RP? I rather not come to the forums to facepalm everytime I see a catfolk or warlock from Pathfinder try to explain why they are in the GW2 universe. It's like promoting Tumblr or Facebook RP; You don't do it.

>

> The RP mess in DR is largely because of the non-support. If they were all in the same shard or 2 there would be no conflict.

No, I'm not talking about shard hopping, I'm talking about the quality the RP has to offer. If we are sharing a space with PVErs, I don't think it's fair to them to having see in their emote chat the one norn that's bending over to show off her chest or the edgelord Courtiers that randomly shooting people with no consequence. There is an image we give off to those around us and what I have noticed is that we do not give off a give one..at all.

There's no excuse for human behavior like that. Especially behavior like that does not belong in a /public/ chat.

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > I thought (MMO)RPG meant a game where you play the role of the main character, or one of the main characters of the game's story. I was unaware it meant making up your _own_ story. If I had thought that, I might have looked elsewhere. /shrug

>

> The definition of RPG, MMO or not, is pretty broad. You can be doing basically anything in the game and it will be RP if that is what you consider it to be. It sounds like you are thinking of structured RP, and we sort of have that with the PS/LS, however most people just get in-character and do something (like take on a mission, go on a quest, or just sit in a tavern and talk in character).

Nope, I'm not thinking of structured RP, or non-structured RP, or anything else. I'm defining the common quality of every game labeled RPG.

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> That is what I am talking about, if there were a separate shard there would be no conflict. The other suggestion that comes up is a separate chat channel however that is unlikely to happen. Which is why considerate RPers stick to /party, /squad, and /guild.

Never understood why. Anet doesn't support rp with a rp shard.Seema completely retarded.

RP has always been in a weird place in this game, which is kind of odd to me. Arenanet could cash in majorly on RPers with minimal effort, but for some reason they haven't even so much as acknowledged their existence. This particular business decision has been an absolutely amazing boon for Final Fantasy XIV, which has focused on becoming an RP haven, but it would be nice to see GW2 try to win back some of those players.

I've been MMOing for 21 years now, and this is one of the few games I've seen that doesn't even so much as give a light head nod to RPers. I've tried for the life of me to understand why this is, but to this day I've yet to be able to figure it out.

> @"Tolmos.8395" said:

> RP has always been in a weird place in this game, which is kind of odd to me. Arenanet could cash in majorly on RPers with minimal effort, but for some reason they haven't even so much as acknowledged their existence. This particular business decision has been an absolutely amazing boon for Final Fantasy XIV, which has focused on becoming an RP haven, but it would be nice to see GW2 try to win back some of those players.

>

> I've been MMOing for 21 years now, and this is one of the few games I've seen that doesn't even so much as give a light head nod to RPers. I've tried for the life of me to understand why this is, but to this day I've yet to be able to figure it out.

Yes, even if they did not devote programmer resources there are plenty of things they could do. Just tossing in a 'we value the RP community' somewhere would be big. Almost 0 effort and it would generate returns.

> @"Tolmos.8395" said:

> RP has always been in a weird place in this game, which is kind of odd to me. Arenanet could cash in majorly on RPers with minimal effort, but for some reason they haven't even so much as acknowledged their existence. This particular business decision has been an absolutely amazing boon for Final Fantasy XIV, which has focused on becoming an RP haven, but it would be nice to see GW2 try to win back some of those players.

>

> I've been MMOing for 21 years now, and this is one of the few games I've seen that doesn't even so much as give a light head nod to RPers. I've tried for the life of me to understand why this is, but to this day I've yet to be able to figure it out.

You can't compare gw2 to MMOs released by big and serious companies like ffsxiv

I think things will make more sense if we think about it as an indie game that serves as someone's hobby more than anything else