Druid WvW roaming build?

Dabrixmgp.4758

• 4 weeks later...

> @"EnderzShadow.2506" said:

> > @"Eggyokeo.9705" said:

> > I usely go full maruaders lb/gs or full celestial gs/staff

>

> can you kill anything full celestial?

it works ok for druid but is SLOW to kill stuff, i like Marauders a lot better. i tried throwing together a condi bunker build but it didn't work out well. thinking about doing a griever condi soulbeast similar to justines old condi LB build

> @"Dabrixmgp.4758" said:

> Went to meta builds but the small man builds all had low ratings. Whats the current meta build for solo or small man WvW?

Soulbeast is better than druid for solo roaming. you have the same mobility but you lose stealth.

You lose a bit of healing, but you have more passive sustain. conditions arent even a worry as protection makes conditions deal less dmg. you get much more dmg and CC.

use a longbow + greastsword.. use a mix of assassins, commanders and harrier stats for optimal roaming performance. youll have good sustain and better dmg than druid.

> I'm trying a druid lb/sw wh zealots/Celestial build.

> It's tanky and the dmg is good but it doesn't feel like it has the ability to 1v2.

>

> Always trying to find that balance of 'how fast can I kill and how long can I survive'.

Druid isnt optimal for roaming because it doesnt have enough options. You cant rely on celestial avatar for CC. You cant cast weapon skills while using celestial avatar. all Celestial avatar skills have a cast time which can be interrupted very easily unless you hit them with the daze and they arent able to stunbreak in time.

> @"bigo.9037" said:

> > @"EnderzShadow.2506" said:

> > I'm trying a druid lb/sw wh zealots/Celestial build.

> > It's tanky and the dmg is good but it doesn't feel like it has the ability to 1v2.

> >

> > Always trying to find that balance of 'how fast can I kill and how long can I survive'.

>

> Druid isnt optimal for roaming because it doesnt have enough options. You cant rely on celestial avatar for CC. You cant cast weapon skills while using celestial avatar. all Celestial avatar skills have a cast time which can be interrupted very easily unless you hit them with the daze and they arent able to stunbreak in time.

well i do better on this druid build than i do on SB, the stealth for 1vx, the healing, the roots i find are all far superior to SB...but that's my personal opinion.

edit. and i don't use SoS, i use signet of the hunt

> @"Dragonzhunter.8506" said:

> > @"Prophet.1584" said:

> > Ran this in Wvw roaming last night and it was successful enough that i'll run it all weekend. I may consider swapping in more marauders

> > http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNQQJARTjEqQLLWyCOsAVLWSEs8o70t72UBCBngnAQyamB-jVSBABA8IAITJGN7Po9FAASlg4pLIijAAXKPwU9HSBExkN-w

> >

>

> Isn't this post about Druid builds?

swap soulbeast for druid and use 1,1,3

> @"Prophet.1584" said:

> > @"Dragonzhunter.8506" said:

> > > @"Prophet.1584" said:

> > > Ran this in Wvw roaming last night and it was successful enough that i'll run it all weekend. I may consider swapping in more marauders

> > > http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNQQJARTjEqQLLWyCOsAVLWSEs8o70t72UBCBngnAQyamB-jVSBABA8IAITJGN7Po9FAASlg4pLIijAAXKPwU9HSBExkN-w

> > >

> >

> > Isn't this post about Druid builds?

>

> swap soulbeast for druid and use 1,1,3

:)

> @"Dragonzhunter.8506" said:

> > Ran this in Wvw roaming last night and it was successful enough that i'll run it all weekend. I may consider swapping in more marauders

> > http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNQQJARTjEqQLLWyCOsAVLWSEs8o70t72UBCBngnAQyamB-jVSBABA8IAITJGN7Po9FAASlg4pLIijAAXKPwU9HSBExkN-w

> >

>

> Isn't this post about Druid builds?

Not anymore. I hijacked this shit. This thread is now about WvW roaming builds.> @"bigo.9037" said:

> > I'm trying a druid lb/sw wh zealots/Celestial build.

> > It's tanky and the dmg is good but it doesn't feel like it has the ability to 1v2.

> >

> > Always trying to find that balance of 'how fast can I kill and how long can I survive'.

>

> Druid isnt optimal for roaming because it doesnt have enough options. You cant rely on celestial avatar for CC. You cant cast weapon skills while using celestial avatar. all Celestial avatar skills have a cast time which can be interrupted very easily unless you hit them with the daze and they arent able to stunbreak in time.

If SB works better for you, that's cool. I'm used to running druid from spvp, so I decided to run it in wvw for now.

And I don't always have perfect ping....wvw really jacks that up for me.

But I disagree with your premise. You're saying there are not enough options.

I don't need to rely on celestial for CC. If I hit someone with a lb4---then they are going to be hit with a full rapid fire and the damage from my pet.

I like, at least for now. I'm sure there is something better, I just haven't found it yet.

> @"Prophet.1584" said:

> Ran this in Wvw roaming last night and it was successful enough that i'll run it all weekend. I may consider swapping in more marauders

> http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNQQJARTjEqQLLWyCOsAVLWSEs8o70t72UBCBngnAQyamB-jVSBABA8IAITJGN7Po9FAASlg4pLIijAAXKPwU9HSBExkN-w

>

I roamed with Druid since HOT and I really want to know if you managed to kill a half decent player with this tanky setup... I had to play maro/berserker to kill most guys. With POF it looks even more difficult (in WvW).

> @"owler.6804" said:

> >

>

> I roamed with Druid since HOT and I really want to know if you managed to kill a half decent player with this tanky setup... I had to play maro/berserker to kill most guys. With POF it looks even more difficult (in WvW).

I'm not sure if I have run into a decent player. I have in groups, but not 1v1.

People who run from fights - check. (maybe this means I need to change in some more berserk/marauder pieces)

People who only will fight in camps - check.

> > @"Eggyokeo.9705" said:

> > I usely go full maruaders lb/gs or full celestial gs/staff

>

> can you kill anything full celestial?

Yes but it can take time, and refined toxins is key. Often it takes a little while and either you or they gets +1ed. And you may not kill another bunkerish player. Learning the different "mini burst" combos and when to use them is the key to wini g fights.

> @"Dabrixmgp.4758" said:

> Went to meta builds but the small man builds all had low ratings. Whats the current meta build for solo or small man WvW?

Nothing I use is "meta" or on any site

I can post 5000+, here are a few

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gw2+fastcar+six+pack

and as a bonus, because even my enemy is my gaming fam

and youtube search sometime

GW2 FASTCAR MY HOTTY

> > @"Dragonzhunter.8506" said:

> > > @"Prophet.1584" said:

> > > Ran this in Wvw roaming last night and it was successful enough that i'll run it all weekend. I may consider swapping in more marauders

> > > http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNQQJARTjEqQLLWyCOsAVLWSEs8o70t72UBCBngnAQyamB-jVSBABA8IAITJGN7Po9FAASlg4pLIijAAXKPwU9HSBExkN-w

> > >

> >

> > Isn't this post about Druid builds?

>

> Not anymore. I hijacked this kitten. This thread is now about WvW roaming builds.> @"bigo.9037" said:

> > > @"EnderzShadow.2506" said:

> > > I'm trying a druid lb/sw wh zealots/Celestial build.

> > > It's tanky and the dmg is good but it doesn't feel like it has the ability to 1v2.

> > >

> > > Always trying to find that balance of 'how fast can I kill and how long can I survive'.

> >

> > Druid isnt optimal for roaming because it doesnt have enough options. You cant rely on celestial avatar for CC. You cant cast weapon skills while using celestial avatar. all Celestial avatar skills have a cast time which can be interrupted very easily unless you hit them with the daze and they arent able to stunbreak in time.

>

> If SB works better for you, that's cool. I'm used to running druid from spvp, so I decided to run it in wvw for now.

> And I don't always have perfect ping....wvw really jacks that up for me.

>

> But I disagree with your premise. You're saying there are not enough options.

> I don't need to rely on celestial for CC. If I hit someone with a lb4---then they are going to be hit with a full rapid fire and the damage from my pet.

> I like, at least for now. I'm sure there is something better, I just haven't found it yet.

>

>

well ok. but i think you and i disagree because of skill differences. if someone takes a full hit of rapid fire + pet burst after a single PBS i would assume they havent played for more than 1000 hours lol

> @"bigo.9037" said:

> > > @"Dragonzhunter.8506" said:

> > > > @"Prophet.1584" said:

> > > > Ran this in Wvw roaming last night and it was successful enough that i'll run it all weekend. I may consider swapping in more marauders

> > > > http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNQQJARTjEqQLLWyCOsAVLWSEs8o70t72UBCBngnAQyamB-jVSBABA8IAITJGN7Po9FAASlg4pLIijAAXKPwU9HSBExkN-w

> > > >

> > >

> > > Isn't this post about Druid builds?

> >

> > Not anymore. I hijacked this kitten. This thread is now about WvW roaming builds.> @"bigo.9037" said:

> > > > @"EnderzShadow.2506" said:

> > > > I'm trying a druid lb/sw wh zealots/Celestial build.

> > > > It's tanky and the dmg is good but it doesn't feel like it has the ability to 1v2.

> > > >

> > > > Always trying to find that balance of 'how fast can I kill and how long can I survive'.

> > >

> > > Druid isnt optimal for roaming because it doesnt have enough options. You cant rely on celestial avatar for CC. You cant cast weapon skills while using celestial avatar. all Celestial avatar skills have a cast time which can be interrupted very easily unless you hit them with the daze and they arent able to stunbreak in time.

> >

> > If SB works better for you, that's cool. I'm used to running druid from spvp, so I decided to run it in wvw for now.

> > And I don't always have perfect ping....wvw really jacks that up for me.

> >

> > But I disagree with your premise. You're saying there are not enough options.

> > I don't need to rely on celestial for CC. If I hit someone with a lb4---then they are going to be hit with a full rapid fire and the damage from my pet.

> > I like, at least for now. I'm sure there is something better, I just haven't found it yet.

> >

> >

>

> well ok. but i think you and i disagree because of skill differences. if someone takes a full hit of rapid fire + pet burst after a single PBS i would assume they havent played for more than 1000 hours lol

Skill differences, eh naw.

I replied to your argument kindly enough. You didn't have anything else so you say your better than me.

Let's go back to how I don't have enough options.

Alright, I was hoping this topic would give me more insight before I participated in it, but I see that isn't going to be the case, so I guess it's time for my take/2 cents.

Starting with macro level concepts, roaming builds can basically be divided into 2 paradigms.

* The first is a focus on pure offense. These builds are designed to catch people by surprise, open up their defenses, and kill them with high damage being dealt in a short timeframe.

* The second tends to be focused around extending fights and longevity by having to tools to react and respond to what enemies can do, while also factoring in the ability to reset the fight.

Usually, the efficacy at roaming of either build focus can be gauged in tandem with the amount of mobility the build brings without sacrificing its desired toolkit.

So, Ranger. Ranger is blessed with 2 fantastic elite specs, in that each elite spec fits perfectly into a paradigm.

Druid is incredible at handling basically anything that can be thrown it at, and it has the damage, mobility, and reset potential you want out of a reactionary playstyle. It is opportunistic at its core, meaning that you have to outplay you opponents cooldowns and know when to capitalize. Outside of working on specific tactics to guarantee damage, the main 2 mistakes I see other Druids make are that they use Celestial Form too soon or for no reason, and that they don't utilitize their sword for damage, when sword is the main damage output source in any build running it.

Soulbeast on the other hand is almost hyper offensive; basically the equivalent of a rushdown character in a fighting game. It's all about catching your enemy off guard and opening them up for high damage, and plays very much in a proactive manner, as opposed to Druid being reactive. The main mistake I see Soulbeasts make is that they blow all their cooldowns upfront and they spend the rest of the fight on the backfoot.

The real question isn't which one makes for a "better" roaming spec, because it's apples to oranges in what roles they perform. More importantly, you need to choose the setup that best suits your playstyle. Here's a list of questions to help you decide:

* Do I play aggressively or methodically?

* How good is my pet control and micromanagement?

* Would I rather play in a way that counters an enemy's defense, or offense?

* Do I prefer to deal damage, or survive damage being dealt?

Generally speaking, answering more of the choices with the latter option would imply that your playstyle favors Druid, but the pet micromanagement question is important because being able to manage the pet is key to being an effective Druid, just as it has always been at being the most effective Ranger player you can be. You need the pets damage and CC for pressure and setting up damage combos, and without it there are certain fights that you won't ever be able to win.

Soulbeast shares many similarities with the above sentiments but relies much more on micromanaging the Beastmode cooldown and tricks than the pet itself, although the pet micromanagement is still an important aspect.

All in all, as a Druid, you need to learn to manage your cooldowns primarily against an enemy's offenses, whereas a Soulbeast you need to manage your cooldowns primarily against an enemy's defenses.

I want to take the time to state this again though because it's a pet peeve of mine; if you're using sword, please please please learn to use it for damage, regardless of what your build/spec is. It adds so much much more damage/pressure when you incorporate it into your gameplay.