Bought Game in 2012 -- Want Reduced Prices on Expansions

I bought the game initially when it first came out for the whopping price of 59.99. I didn't play long because the group I was playing with moved on to something else. But recently a new group of friends decided to try the game out and they bought the Path of Fire DLC for 29.99. I hopped back on with them thinking that there must be a lower priced upgrade option for players who had the audacity to support the company at the release date or even a reward for being one of the early players who forked over 60 dollars. That is not the case at all I must pay the full price for the game meaning that in order for me to get the full content on the game I will have to have invested 110 dollars compared to the brand new player who only pays 50. Why would you mock the players who invested early, it is beyond me.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also bought GW2 at the 2 days pre-launch. I do not feel punished, I have alot of stuff new players could only dream to have also i have had the opportunity to play the game years before PoF or even HoT. I have had the chance to experience the true Living world of the game and had a blast playing dungeons when these where a thing.

I am sorry but it is not Anets fault that you buy something and does not use it.

Edit: also the price you pay for is not for the main game, you only pay for the expansion. The main game is free.

*sigh* this again? games drop in price overtime naturally and many MMO's end up with the base content free. When you buy a game at release you know full well that those who wait a few years will pay much less and get more content. The trade off is that you get to play it earlier and when it's at peak numbers wise (and in the case of GW when the LW stories are relevant and unlock for free if you log on). That you left shortly after release so didn't really get much of that is is your issue.

> @"EdgarMTanaka.7291" said:

> I also bought GW2 at the 2 days pre-launch. I do not feel punished, I have alot of stuff new players could only dream to have also i have had the opportunity to play the game years before PoF or even HoT. I have had the chance to experience the true Living world of the game and had a blast playing dungeons when these where a thing.

>

> I am sorry but it is not Anets fault that you buy something and does not use it.

>

> Edit: also the price you pay for is not for the main game, you only pay for the expansion. The main game is free.

yes I admit there are a few things available to me that aren't available to a free player

5 characters instead of 2

5 inventory bags instead of 3

access to map chats and squad chats

access to guild enhancements

access to forum posts

access to the trading post and bank

Man that sure as hell looks like 60 dollars of content to me...

Glad I invested early

It's the same for every single game, as time goes on the price of a product depreciates in value which is why old games mmo and non mmo alike decrease as time goes on. Same with products in the store, buying new phones, clothes, etc it is the way business and value of merchandise works.

> @"DieN Cry.4890" said:

> Its poor business practice to go that game you payed 60 dollars for we're gonna make free and kitten you guys for buying early we're all about the new players kitten the old

If you where truly an old player I bet you wouldn't complain. You are just a player who bought the game and haven't played it for years. I bought GTA1 when it came out on PC, but now they are giving it out for free! It's madness I say! I bought the game for my parent hard earned money and now they are letting new players download it for free!

> @"DieN Cry.4890" said:

> > @"EdgarMTanaka.7291" said:

> > I also bought GW2 at the 2 days pre-launch. I do not feel punished, I have alot of stuff new players could only dream to have also i have had the opportunity to play the game years before PoF or even HoT. I have had the chance to experience the true Living world of the game and had a blast playing dungeons when these where a thing.

> >

> > I am sorry but it is not Anets fault that you buy something and does not use it.

> >

> > Edit: also the price you pay for is not for the main game, you only pay for the expansion. The main game is free.

>

> yes I admit there are a few things available to me that aren't available to a free player

> 5 characters instead of 2

> 5 inventory bags instead of 3

> access to map chats and squad chats

> access to guild enhancements

> access to forum posts

> access to the trading post and bank

>

> Man that sure as hell looks like 60 dollars of content to me...

> Glad I invested early

You HAD access to LS1, including several achievements, skins, etc. You had access to several game mechanics that no longer exist.

Just wanted to add that. I'm now gonna practice what I preach and just let this thread die.

> @"Thereon.5219" said:

> It's the same for every single game, as time goes on the price of a product depreciates in value which is why old games mmo and non mmo alike decrease as time goes on. Same with products in the store, buying new phones, clothes, etc it is the way business and value of merchandise works.

I'm not mad that they made it free or that they provide the game for new players. I'm mad that they have not cheapened upgrade options for the players who invested early and gave the company support. A way to say hey we appreciate the fact that bought in early and supported us here's a discount on the expansions. THATS HOW YOU DO THIS F2P TRANSITION!!!

> @"DieN Cry.4890" said:

> > I also bought GW2 at the 2 days pre-launch. I do not feel punished, I have alot of stuff new players could only dream to have also i have had the opportunity to play the game years before PoF or even HoT. I have had the chance to experience the true Living world of the game and had a blast playing dungeons when these where a thing.

> >

> > I am sorry but it is not Anets fault that you buy something and does not use it.

> >

> > Edit: also the price you pay for is not for the main game, you only pay for the expansion. The main game is free.

>

> yes I admit there are a few things available to me that aren't available to a free player

> 5 characters instead of 2

> 5 inventory bags instead of 3

> access to map chats and squad chats

> access to guild enhancements

> access to forum posts

> access to the trading post and bank

>

> Man that sure as hell looks like 60 dollars of content to me...

> Glad I invested early

There are even more.

As I said, the living story 1 is not playable anymore, you had the chance to play that content. That is content you payed for.

While these living word episodes where active you got AP that no one will be able to get accept those who played during that time. Also other living stories are unlocked for free if you logged in to the game just for a second during that episode.

> @"EdgarMTanaka.7291" said:

> > @"DieN Cry.4890" said:

> > Its poor business practice to go that game you payed 60 dollars for we're gonna make free and kitten you guys for buying early we're all about the new players kitten the old

>

> If you where truly an old player I bet you wouldn't complain. You are just a player who bought the game and haven't played it for years. I bought GTA1 when it came out on PC, but now they are giving it out for free! It's madness I say! I bought the game for my parent hard earned money and now they are letting new players download it for free!

just gonna post what I said in the comment above. Its not that it went free its that they released expansions and did nothing to show appreciation to the individuals who happened to fork over the money early.

> @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> Again, you didn't support the game . . . you left. And now you want a discount for coming back after X-amount of years? Heck, where's my discount on the expansions for **staying**?

you deserve the a discounted option if you initially bought in as well. And just because I didn't play doesn't mean I didn't support them. The investment from the customer base by buying the game on release IS SUPPORT. Just because I chose to play something else doesn't mean I didn't support them by buying the game. Guess what keeps the game studios lights on. MONEY! guess where they get the resources to produce new content. MONEY!

Waiter, I came to your restaurant when it first opened. I haven't been back for years, but I was here for the Grand Opening. Therefore, I deserve a discount on the Special.

. . .

I hope you realize how ridiculous that sounds when put into context. Otherwise, I believe Maikimaik has the right idea. Either way, again, welcome back! :)

So if you just bought both expansions without paying for the base game you only have 2 char slots instead of 5? then that is basically the only thing paying the 40$ at launch will give you as opposed to a new player, but its significant. Having said that I believe that all the players who bought the base game should get 9 char slots (one for each class) and full bag slot upgrades as those are "mandatory" features.

> @"DieN Cry.4890" said:

> > > @"DieN Cry.4890" said:

> > > Its poor business practice to go that game you payed 60 dollars for we're gonna make free and kitten you guys for buying early we're all about the new players kitten the old

> >

> > If you where truly an old player I bet you wouldn't complain. You are just a player who bought the game and haven't played it for years. I bought GTA1 when it came out on PC, but now they are giving it out for free! It's madness I say! I bought the game for my parent hard earned money and now they are letting new players download it for free!

>

> just gonna post what I said in the comment above. Its not that it went free its that they released expansions and did nothing to show appreciation to the individuals who happened to fork over the money early.

>

Again you did get benefit out of buying early. You do have things and had the opportunity to get things late comers don't get by default and playtime over the years has value.

You didn't "happen" to fork over money early, you chose to buy it when you did with the content that it had. It's was a transaction not a donation so I don't see why they need to shower you with "appreciation". If it was a kickstarter or a game in very early access (proof of concept stage) that you _donated_ money too with no guarantee the game would ever be completed then it's not unreasonable to expect that when the full game is released you will get some bonuses or a discount but GW2 was a full launch.

OP you did not buy the game to 'support' Anet on release, like everyone else you bought the game because it looked fun. You then decided to not get your value for money by not playing it. Stop being part of the modern blame generation and take responsibility for your own actions. And as suggested above, people who truly supported the game are those who bought items from the gem store, i myself have spent over $200 and am quite happy with the value for money I have got over the years considering I pay no sub.

BTW, from Your perspective, every other game (I might be wrong) on the market, be it an MMO or an FPS, punishes ppl. Haven't heard Blizzard throwing out discount for their veterans every new expansion or Bethesda to Wolfenstein's loyal fans. Same goes for Witcher, GTA, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed etc.