Infinite loading screens

Since I started playing half a year ago, I never had lag, freeze or FPS issues. This changed two days ago. The game started lagging at random moments and even freezing, and yesterday (started playing around 9AM server time) the game began lagging A LOT, freezing A LOT and getting almost infinite loading screens (it doesn't even load the map completion stats), ending half times with a "disconnected from the server" error. What is happening? The update didn't help, in fact it made it worse... And before anyones pops up commenting:

1- Checked already. It's not my net. Everything works as good and fast as always with anything else. It would surprise me if there where a problem since I never have had any issues with my net provider.

2- Checked already. It's not anything related with my computer. It's a gamer PC assambled specificaly with the requirements to play in with max resolution, 4K and I don't even use a 30% of my computer power with internet browser, GW2, Discord call and a few other programs with 3 screens.

3- A few of my guild mates and friends are suffering the same, are they are not even in my country. This is a world-wide issue.

4- Used the repair "tool" (-repair command) with no luck. It freezes after a minute or so, at random percentages. It just doesn't work (running as admin, stopping the antivirus and such doesn't make it work either).

5- Reinstaled the game (erasing local files too). Still the same.

I don't mind the lag at all, it's not that annoying (well, it IS, but it just means I won't join something big as PvP, WvW or raids till it's fixed), but the HUGE loading screens is just getting stupid. I can't play without waiting like 10 minutes per loading screen (that if it doesn't end with a disconnected error).

So, any news on this?

It's been going on since the yesterday's update for me - today I got completely stuck at loading screen and can't even enter some of my characters. Those that I can are randomly unable to take any action (not even dismounting) or enter story mission. It's completely unplayable.

Hmmm, same here. Playing on a Mac almost daily and had no problems until I updated to the latest patch.

Whenever I try to do anything that requires a loading screen (waypoints, story mode etc) the game hangs not the loading screen and I need to restart the mac. Hope it gets fixed soon!

I'm having this problem also. Get to the loading screen and nothing happens. Music still plays, but nothing else. Particularly for the Tracking the Scientist instance and Desert Highlands map. I've had to force quit the program each time.

Update: logging to character selection screen, warping to basically any map, even quitting the game freezes the game. What's going on?

Some maps are ok with it but others like in my case, any place in Orr and Kryta, loading screen is blank except for the name of the map at the bottom. Also, I can’t continue my story in Path of Fire because instances can’t load as well :( I hope they do something with this bug.

The game is now downloading updates and it does so extremely slowly, with max speed 100 kbps and usually below 10 kb/s. There is definitely something strange going on here. I tested various websites, other online games, speed tests - all work fine. But as soon as the GW2 client starts to update the game, the download speed drops to basically old dial-up modem speeds...

Same as everyone else. All symptoms mentioned. Then I downloaded the 64-bit Mac client again. Lo, and behold!

1. Original login box with stencilled art instead of the post-PoF standard dialog boxframe: but first, a grey affair with "Initializing" on it for 3 minutes.

2. Much uglier app icon with far more garish red ![](https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/387256976846880769/421390132466286592/Screen_Shot_2018-03-08_at_22.24.10.png "")

3. No crashes, but graphics more like Windows interface (less cartoony and more 3D with deeper colours and movement like PS characters but lag laaaaggg laaaggg

4. Will try it on PvP and WvW. If the game crashes with a group skill burst like it does since PoF, then back to the old crashy version.

5. Black Lion Trading Post icons, login dialog box fonts all back to their beautiful selves.

6. Major gripe:_**THE GAME WINDOW HANDLES LIKE A WINDOWED DISPLAY EVEN WHEN ON FULLSCREEN SETTINGS. THIS EXPOSES THE TOP BAR OF THE OS AND I ALMOST MISCLICKED QUIT GUILD WARS 2 TWICE WHEN I REACHED FOR MY INVENTORY**_.

Same here with Asumir.1978

I play on a mac and reinstalled Guild wars 2

and I noticed the new app icon and launcher had different looks, the original ones.

I took the GM’s advice and reinstalled Guild Wars 2. Now, I’m hoping everything is normal again once I fully download the game. Only, this download is gonna take awhile but will should be worth it.

> @"Cait.6849" said:

> This post doesn't need to be answered, but at least a public announcement about the issue should be done by Arena.net... Are they even working on this?

They've never been satisfactory with feedback sadly, they seem to espouse no feedback when in progress is better than at least letting people know they're on it even if they haven't gotten far with the problem. Most of us think that's poor customer service but they have been this way at least the 5yrs I've played this game.

Did any of you guys try loading your guild halls? That's the only map I can load though not every time, if I were anet I would investigate why that's the case that map has some chance of loading when others fail and it should give some clue how to fix the problem.

> @"Cait.6849" said:

> This post doesn't need to be answered, but at least a public announcement about the issue should be done by Arena.net... Are they even working on this?

They've never been satisfactory with feedback sadly, they seem to espouse no feedback when in progress is better than at least letting people know they're on it even if they haven't gotten far with the problem. Most of us think that's poor customer service but they have been this way at least the 5yrs I've played this game.

Did any of you guys try loading your guild halls? That's the only map I can load though not every time, if I were anet I would investigate why that's the case that map has some chance of loading when others fail and it should give some clue how to fix the problem.

> @"Yifang.8260" said:

> They've never been satisfactory with feedback sadly, they seem to espouse no feedback when in progress is better than at least letting people know they're on it even if they haven't gotten far with the problem. Most of us think that's poor customer service but they have been this way at least the 5yrs I've played this game.

>

> Did any of you guys try loading your guild halls? That's the only map I can load though not every time, if I were anet I would investigate why that's the case that map has some chance of loading when others fail and it should give some clue how to fix the problem.

This could be cos all maps are huge, need to load lots of events, NPCs, enemies... and players. Guild Hall maps are not as big as other maps, doesn't have any events to load, have just a few NPCs, no enemies and will just be crowded with players only if you are on a big guild. That said... guild halls have nothing to load at all, making it easier to not get an infinite loading. Or at least, that's my guess.

A good game with a poor costumer service... Well Anet, now you know which stat you have to increase on your next level up.

> @"Asumir.1978" said:

> Same as everyone else. All symptoms mentioned. Then I downloaded the 64-bit Mac client again. Lo, and behold!

>

> 1. Original login box with stencilled art instead of the post-PoF standard dialog boxframe: but first, a grey affair with "Initializing" on it for 3 minutes.

> 2. Much uglier app icon with far more garish red ![](https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/387256976846880769/421390132466286592/Screen_Shot_2018-03-08_at_22.24.10.png "")

> 3. No crashes, but graphics more like Windows interface (less cartoony and more 3D with deeper colours and movement like PS characters but lag laaaaggg laaaggg

> 4. Will try it on PvP and WvW. If the game crashes with a group skill burst like it does since PoF, then back to the old crashy version.

> 5. Black Lion Trading Post icons, login dialog box fonts all back to their beautiful selves.

> 6. Major gripe:_**THE GAME WINDOW HANDLES LIKE A WINDOWED DISPLAY EVEN WHEN ON FULLSCREEN SETTINGS. THIS EXPOSES THE TOP BAR OF THE OS AND I ALMOST MISCLICKED QUIT GUILD WARS 2 TWICE WHEN I REACHED FOR MY INVENTORY**_.

I read this in another thread and reinstalled 64 bit and ta dah. All issues gone. Thank you Asumir anyway for posting!

> @"Cait.6849" said:

> > @"Yifang.8260" said:

> > They've never been satisfactory with feedback sadly, they seem to espouse no feedback when in progress is better than at least letting people know they're on it even if they haven't gotten far with the problem. Most of us think that's poor customer service but they have been this way at least the 5yrs I've played this game.

> >

> > Did any of you guys try loading your guild halls? That's the only map I can load though not every time, if I were anet I would investigate why that's the case that map has some chance of loading when others fail and it should give some clue how to fix the problem.

> This could be cos all maps are huge, need to load lots of events, NPCs, enemies... and players. Guild Hall maps are not as big as other maps, doesn't have any events to load, have just a few NPCs, no enemies and will just be crowded with players only if you are on a big guild. That said... guild halls have nothing to load at all, making it easier to not get an infinite loading. Or at least, that's my guess.

>

> A good game with a poor costumer service... Well Anet, now you know which stat you have to increase on your next level up.

No guild halls are actually very big with lots of assets if you ever explored them and if your guild has put many decorations in them, certainly bigger than your home instance by a long way. I often load most maps quicker than the hall!

It's not the case of size anyway that's breaking the load function, example 1 alt is in Auric Basin, which is a big map. It will not fail to load him as that was where he was before this hideous patch. Plus going back to the character screen would not take much resources either. My 5yrs experience with the game on a HDD, LA generally is the slowest, which is the case for most… During festivals especially SAB those places often are worse than LA, pve maps generally are faster than towns for obvious reasons that includes expansion maps. PvP maps are fairly fast being truly small, fractals also load very fast, wvw can vary but the Obsidian sanctum is usually very fast, one of the fastest to load in my experience… (Back to towns they load quicker than pve maps if the population is low)

They've had nearing 6yrs to improve that stat, just look at the quality of the forums even Anet devs don't like them they prefer reddit. (One is in my guild and said so directly when I mentioned how bad the forums are amongst other gripes) Has taken most of the 5+yrs for the forums to even have a sort of working search function, such a fundamental thing for a forum… You said it right the game itself is the best mmo I've played, has the innovation and fun factor most don't have (I know sadly many hate water combat here but be thankful we can swim at all, in SWTOR you drown if you go into deep water haha!) and being able to dodge is something not in most mmos but I cannot give the customer service a good review at all nor the stability of the game, it's the least stable mmo I've played even and the customer service also scores low. If I include the forums as a category to judge mmos then oh dear…..

> @"Meatball.2319" said:

> Hmmm, same here. Playing on a Mac almost daily and had no problems until I updated to the latest patch.

> Whenever I try to do anything that requires a loading screen (waypoints, story mode etc) the game hangs not the loading screen and I need to restart the mac. Hope it gets fixed soon!

Same problem here. When I restart after force quitting the game on mac, I can zone once, but the second zone freezes. Only started happening with latest patch.

Edit: Downloading the 64-bit client worked! Thanks all

Never had big problems either before latest patch. Was still playing 32 client and after patch I got black loading screen and wasn't able to do anything. So I got the 64 version. Now I have loading screens of 3 to 4 minutes. I tried to do the Crab Toss activity today and again the 3 minute screen starts, only to disconnect me right after due to no activity.

Also loads of screen freezes for a second, it takes a lot of time for areas, npc's and such to load in. I am not able to see items in my wardrobe if I want to change looks or if I want to view something on my character, etc etc. Same problems that a lot of other people seem to have. Halp plox ArenaNet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...