Performance on a modern laptop

Hey.

I used to play this game on a PC with an i5 3750k, 16GB RAM and a Radeon 7700HD, later GTX 970.

At medium/ high settings I would get 60FPS pretty much constantly. The performance was as expected, given that the CPU, in particular, was showing signs of aging.

Since then I got a laptop instead. The Asus RoG Strix GL702VSK, with a GTX 1070, an i7 7700HQ and 16GB RAM on Windows 10. Given the game's nature I expected that the performance won't be brilliant, but I was disheartened to see thst even on lowest possible settings, save for the resolution (1920x1080), the laptop seems so be struggling to run the game at 60fps. In fact, on lowest settings possible, some world boss events such as Tequat'l the Sunless, would bring the action down to a ~10fos slideshow.

At first I thought that it's just how it is, being a laptop. But the more I think about it and the more I watch videos of people playing the game on much older laptops, I am beginning to suspect that something just isn't right.

Here are the things that I have tried/ checked:

Drivers are up to date (via nVidia Experience)

Windows are up to date (genuine copy)

The GPU unit for the game is the GTX 1070 (the laptop does not have an integrated GPU)

The system is not overheating, and the low fps occur even on a fresh boot.

The laptop is plugged into electricity and is not in any power management/ saving mode. (note that other mothern games run on highest settings as one might expect).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.