Returning necro looking to get into fractals

MoJoe.9063

I just got back into GW2 after having not played since before HoT release. I have never done fractals before but I want to start, so I'm curious to know how necros perform in fractals.

1. My other max level option is a guardian, which I assume is in higher demand than necro... should I just play guardian instead or can I make necro work?

2. Assuming necro is at least somewhat viable, can anyone suggest a build? I'm running a power build right now but I'll do anything besides a full condi build (I find the condi playstyle boring). Please note that I only have baseline GW2 at the moment, so no Reaper or Scourge, although I will probably be buying HoT in the near future so at least Reaper can be considered.

3. How many levels of fractals can I do in exotic gear before I have to start upgrading to ascended gear?

I would recommend you buy HoT and play your Guardian (Dragonhunter) in that case.

While Necro is somewhat viable and makes certain things trivial/easier, it's overall just to weak to keep up, be it DPS, Support or what have you.

Especially Power Necro is so far behind, I would say don't do that to yourself and your party if you want to go much beyond Tier 1, which is what you can play without Agony Resistance, aka in exotics. Even though Power DPS is highly recommended for Fractals, Necro just doesn't have enough by a long shot, being literally half the DPS of proper classes like DH, Holo or especially Weaver.

If you really want to do Necromancer despite all the issues it has, Viper condi Scourge would be highly recommended, requiring both expansions.

Provided you can get the hang of [combo field attunement](

"combo field attunement"), Condi Reaper can be a great class to take into fractals as it combines the ability to use Epidemic to help mow down adds with the higher burst potential it has over Condi Scourge. The long and short of everything you can do the contribute to a group/deal with mechanics in fractals with Reaper as well as a build to use can be found here: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Reaper_-_Condi_DPS