Should I start Raiding?

> @"Raizel.8175" said:

> > @"Henry.5713" said:

> > > @"Majirah.5089" said:

> > > > @"Henry.5713" said:

> > > > It is never too late to start playing any game or any content inside said game. Try it and decide for yourself if it is something you enjoy. Acquiring the armor should be an added bonus rather than the sole reason why you want to traid. (Unless you are the type to force yourself to play something you dislike just to gain some items.)

> > >

> > >

> > > I hopefully won’t dislike it. I was really interested in getting into more pve anyway. I played swtor before this and thought the pve was mind numbing boring so I only did pvp for 5 years. Even open world in this game is more fun than the instanced pve in swtor. So I have really don’t pve in games since City of Heroes. I am hoping I can get into pve in this game. I’m getting kinda bored of the pvp.

> > >

> > > The fact that I like the skins is just an added bonus to work towards. Gives me a little more motivation to start something new.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Got quite a few of friends I know from PvP and WvW who started raiding recently. Many actually prefer PvE now as they got so tired of the other modes. Pretty sure you are going to have a blast once you meet the right people to raid with. You seem to have the right mindset for it. The combat system allows the developers to add a few unique features you wouldn't see in other games. I even get the feeling that they were finally able to include more challenging features they have had in mind for years but just couldn't do before raids as the Open World content is too focused on being casual. Probably one of the reasons why they are not planning to have an easy mode anytime soon.

> >

> > People tend it complain a lot on these forums. They love to complain about the addition of raids and especially the raiding community as a whole. I suggest to just try and see for yourself. Many of these negative opinions seem to be based on nothing more a single experience or even something they only heard second hand. There are some negative sides the this type of content of course. Every mode of this game has downsides. You probably know all about that coming from PvP.

> >

>

> I'd like to object. Both raiding and the combat-system are fun, but I've yet to see truly unique features I haven't seen in other games before. In fact, GW2 "borrowed" a lot of features from other games, which isn't bad per se, but leads to contradicting concepts. That is also why we currently have some kitten hybrid-system of kitten action-based-, trinity-based-, and tab-targetting-combat. It's also one of the reasons why GW2 struggles hard when it comes to balancing.

>

> Most of the people I know actually don't complain about raids per se, but rather their accessibility (and of course legendary armor being raid-locked), which actually is a problem and one of GW2s biggest issues. Raids in fact are just another form of instanced PvE-content like dungeons and fractals. Their "special feature" is that they feature extremely watered down trinity-based combat which in turn makes them actually not as hard as people tend to claim. Raids in GW2 are actually quite casual; they don't even require vocal communication. This is why it's really funny to see such high entry-barriers like high LI/KPs or class-requirements in this game, which is one of the main-reasons why people tend to complain about raids and the raiding-community. In fact, raids don't really fit into the game all that well on a conceptual level. The base-game is far too easy and you literally have zero conflict with other people which would lead to socialization and the obligation to get better at playing your own class like in other MMORPGs. You also don't have any trace of the holy trinity which would prepare people for the kind of gameplay raids feature. These are only but two arguments why raids don't really fit well into the game. The actual content should be harder than getting into the content. In GW2 it's the total opposite. It often feels like it's a million times harder to get into raids than actually doing them.

Opinions and tastes can differ greatly, I suppose.

To me, the combat system was done just right. They managed to and still continue to walk the middle ground between tab and action. Easy to get into and impossible to master. One of the main features of a game that makes me stick around.

It might have been a little farfetched to call the raid mechanics unique of course. Though, the part about borrowing or being inspired by other games is just silly.

It applies to any other game. Might have been the combination between our combat system and influences they draw from other raiding games which give some of these features a unique feeling. A few of the bosses work in a way I have yet to see in other games. Not that I have played every game there is.

Raid content is challenging content as far this game is concerned. Nobody claimed this content is impossibly hard. Nobody said other games do not have raids which make our raids look like a joke. The game is indeed quite casual at it's core.

However, the accessability is not some impossible barrier either. It is something people mostly force on themselves. There are many solutions and tips given whenever someone asks about getting started. Most players simply deem these efforts too much of a bother just like the deem the already medium to low difficulty level too hard to bother with. They refuse to accept that legendary armor would require content they dislike, content which is casual but not casual enough for them.