24 slot and 28 slot bags soulbind on use?

Hey all! I recently decided to make 32 slot bags after 5 of my characters having 24 slots in every slot. I figured I'd just take the bags I had made on each character and give them back to my armorer to upgrade them.

Well, as you may know, I couldn't do that because after I used the bags on my Alts they souldbound. So now I can't upgrade those bags because they are stuck on those characters.

I have figured out that only the 24 and 28 slot bags soulbind at all. 20 and 32 are tradable on your account even after using them. I just don't understand the purpose to this.

And even if I were to just make new 32 slot bags id then have 50 24 slot bags that are all soulbound to different characters I literally can't do anything with other than destroy them. At roughly 30 gold a bag that's 1500 gold, I've wasted.

I understand the reason they are not tradable, but why soulbound?

> @"Ranlares.2513" said:

> Hey all! I recently decided to make 32 slot bags after 5 of my characters having 24 slots in every slot. I figured I'd just take the bags I had made on each character and give them back to my armorer to upgrade them.

>

> Well, as you may know, I couldn't do that because after I used the bags on my Alts they souldbound. So now I can't upgrade those bags because they are stuck on those characters.

They are account bound and soulbound on use if i recall correctly.

You should have had a message when you have tried to equip them into a character bag slot.

> @"Shirlias.8104" said:

> > @"Ranlares.2513" said:

> > Hey all! I recently decided to make 32 slot bags after 5 of my characters having 24 slots in every slot. I figured I'd just take the bags I had made on each character and give them back to my armorer to upgrade them.

> >

> > Well, as you may know, I couldn't do that because after I used the bags on my Alts they souldbound. So now I can't upgrade those bags because they are stuck on those characters.

>

> They are account bound and soulbound on use if i recall correctly.

> You should have had a message when you have tried to equip them into a character bag slot.

>

I know there was a message, and equipping them wasn't a mistake. It just doesn't make sense to have 24 and 28 slots be soulbound when neither the 20 or 32 are.

> @"Ranlares.2513" said:

> I have figured out that only the 24 and 28 slot bags soulbind at all. 20 and 32 are tradable on your account even after using them. I just don't understand the purpose to this.

There's no purpose. They simply forgot about them when they made 32-slot bags account-bound. They just don't want to admit to this.

Unfortunately I am a victim of this oversight as well, and from varied feedback it unfortunately is swept under the "working as intended" mantra, which is -- to be blunt -- aggrivating, as the fact that 24-slot and 28-slot being soulbound and thus unable to be used as an upgrade factor alone is just nonsensical. Use your 24-slot or 28-slot gossamer on a person with no Tailor? Welp, he's gotta learn Tailor if you want to up that further. :(

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Ranlares.2513" said:

> > I have figured out that only the 24 and 28 slot bags soulbind at all. 20 and 32 are tradable on your account even after using them. I just don't understand the purpose to this.

> There's no purpose. They simply forgot about them when they made 32-slot bags account-bound. They just don't want to admit to this.

>

Actually, this has always been the **intended** behavior for 24-slot and 28-slot bags. It is not now nor was it ever an "oversight."

> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/242121/#Comment_242121

> [support wrote to a player](https://imgur.com/joTcmqC):

> **Currently, 24-slot and 28-slot crafted bags being soulbound on use is intended functionality.**

And

> [in reply to the obvious follow-up, Support said](https://i.imgur.com/LzRjfsm.png):

> ...no, there is not an option to unbind the bags from characters they have been bound to. I believe **the intention is for there to be some risk/reward in making larger bags and either using them or saving them until you can make even larger bags.** Unbinding the bags would work against this intention.

(_**emphasis** added_)

ANet's stance on this (as stated by the support team member) makes no sense at all to me.

The reward for making larger bags is... having larger bags. It's already by far the most expensive way to add 4, 8, or 12 slots to your storage capacity. There's zero need to add risk to the decision to starting making bigger bags; it's already a huge gold sink.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> ANet's stance on this (as stated by the support team member) makes no sense at all to me.

> The reward for making larger bags is... having larger bags. It's already by far the most expensive way to add 4, 8, or 12 slots to your storage capacity. There's zero need to add risk to the decision to starting making bigger bags; it's already a huge gold sink.

Agreed, all this does is punish people for wanting to use something as they work on it. This is effectively the same as say, crafting a legendary, and using the precursor as your weapon and then having to get another ascended precursor because you used the last one before you could finish the final product.

> @"Ranlares.2513" said:

> > @"Shirlias.8104" said:

> > > @"Ranlares.2513" said:

> > > Hey all! I recently decided to make 32 slot bags after 5 of my characters having 24 slots in every slot. I figured I'd just take the bags I had made on each character and give them back to my armorer to upgrade them.

> > >

> > > Well, as you may know, I couldn't do that because after I used the bags on my Alts they souldbound. So now I can't upgrade those bags because they are stuck on those characters.

> >

> > They are account bound and soulbound on use if i recall correctly.

> > You should have had a message when you have tried to equip them into a character bag slot.

> >

>

> It just doesn't make sense to have 24 and 28 slots be soulbound when neither the 20 or 32 are.

Here we all agree, but since it's useless to complain it's better to move on ( even if in the future they will consider to change this ).

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > @"Ranlares.2513" said:

> > > I have figured out that only the 24 and 28 slot bags soulbind at all. 20 and 32 are tradable on your account even after using them. I just don't understand the purpose to this.

> > There's no purpose. They simply forgot about them when they made 32-slot bags account-bound. They just don't want to admit to this.

> >

>

> Actually, this has always been the **intended** behavior for 24-slot and 28-slot bags. It is not now nor was it ever an "oversight."

It has also been the intended functionality for 32-slot bags. Until they've changed it based on player feedback. All the arguments behind the change to 32-slot ones worked equally well for the intermediates.

All the later claims to me sound like trying to cover their behinds, trying to find an explanation that wouldn't be "oops, we forgot about those", for all the sense they make.

Seriously, why would they discourage people from engaging in a major gold sink? Any suggestion they make that they wanted such a gold sink be tied to risk is not very believable. Gold sinks are made to be used. They wouldn't want players to think "maybe we wouldn't want more inventory space after all".

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > @"Ranlares.2513" said:

> > > > I have figured out that only the 24 and 28 slot bags soulbind at all. 20 and 32 are tradable on your account even after using them. I just don't understand the purpose to this.

> > > There's no purpose. They simply forgot about them when they made 32-slot bags account-bound. They just don't want to admit to this.

> > >

> >

> > Actually, this has always been the **intended** behavior for 24-slot and 28-slot bags. It is not now nor was it ever an "oversight."

> It has also been the intended functionality for 32-slot bags. Until they've changed it based on player feedback. All the arguments behind the change to 32-slot ones worked equally well for the intermediates.

>

No, apparently that was a bug... or at least not entirely deliberate. The 32-slot ones were apparently intended to be account bound.

>> [Gaile Gray wrote on Reddit](

)

>> The reason that the 32-slot bag was changed was because it was an ascended item, and ascended items are account-bound by nature.

> Seriously, why would they discourage people from engaging in a major gold sink? Any suggestion they make that they wanted such a gold sink be tied to risk is not very believable. Gold sinks are made to be used. They wouldn't want players to think "maybe we wouldn't want more inventory space after all".

>

I have a new theory:

* They intended from the start to offer only 32-slot bags.

* They realized that most people would yell & scream about the price.

* They broke down the crafting process into two more intermediate steps, with a usable bag.

* They made the mid-tier bags soulbound, to discourage people from stopping at 24 or 28 slots.

In effect, there's a "legendary" bag (32-slot), a precursor (28), and a pre-precursor (24). And like legendary weapon-equivalents, the intermediate steps are bound-on-use.

Mind you, I still think it's a _bad_ system. But that would explain the evidence.

_edit: added a quote from Gaile_