Sylvarri Hound Jackel Mount Skin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > Question: how do plant-beasts teleport? or traverse sand portals?

>

> ask yourself this, how does a forged beast do the same?

Forged have demonstrated teleportation technology inherent in their design. Plant beasts have not. They can traverse vine tunnels like a Nidus Wurm, but do not teleport.

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > Question: how do plant-beasts teleport? or traverse sand portals?

>

> Magic.

Obviously, but what magic?

> @"Moonlit.6421" said:

> While I know by this point most ppl are gonna yell at me for saying so that does t really fit with their lore though. That would mean that either sylvari hounds randomly started growing a lot bigger for no reason, or that there have always been giant ones we just never saw or the sylvari thought about riding. I suppose from an individual player perspective it could be a rare mutation or strong veteran one that grew larger than its companions but even that is a bit of a stretch. I have mixed feelings about it tbh, as I understand the thematic want for it but can't find a good enough reason to justify it.

Supergrow plantfood.

• 11 months later...

I'd love sylvari themed mounts. A fern hound skin for the jackal would be the minimum, but a full set would be even better.

> @"Moonlit.6421" said:

> While I know by this point most ppl are gonna yell at me for saying so that does t really fit with their lore though. That would mean that either sylvari hounds randomly started growing a lot bigger for no reason, or that there have always been giant ones we just never saw or the sylvari thought about riding. I suppose from an individual player perspective it could be a rare mutation or strong veteran one that grew larger than its companions but even that is a bit of a stretch. I have mixed feelings about it tbh, as I understand the thematic want for it but can't find a good enough reason to justify it.

Another explanation could be that the Pale Tree, having encountered the jackals (or all the mounts) from the desert, decided to make some of her own like she makes the sylvari and the fern hounds.

Hot spoiler:

And like the Blighting Trees make all kinds of plant creatures, even wyvern, based on what they've encountered and what purpose they want the creature to fulfil.

> @"wolfyrik.2017" said:

> Exactly my thinking. The branded mounts have broken any attempt at maintaining lore. I'd like to request corrupted pets for rangers as well. There's really no good reason to deny us any corrupted mounts and therefor pets. Sylvari versions of mounts and pets shouldn't be a problem.

IMO it depends on what you do with them. My elementalist has the branded mounts dyed to look like elementals - as if she adapted the existing elemental conjuring skills to make mounts instead (which also helps to explain why they appear from nowhere). For a while my ranger had them dyed blue and pale purple and my story was Aurene branded them accidentally during the first chapter of Season 4 and because they're her minions they're friendly to my character and she kept them to save them being put down.

On some of my other characters I experimented with trying to hide the glow effect using dyes so they just looked like spikier versions of normal animals, and it kind-of worked. But that was when I only had the branded mounts, now I've got more skins to choose from I've mostly given up on using the branded ones on characters who would want normal animals.

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > > Question: how do plant-beasts teleport? or traverse sand portals?

> >

> > ask yourself this, how does a forged beast do the same?

>

> Forged have demonstrated teleportation technology inherent in their design. Plant beasts have not. They can traverse vine tunnels like a Nidus Wurm, but do not teleport.

>

> > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > > Question: how do plant-beasts teleport? or traverse sand portals?

> >

> > Magic.

>

> Obviously, but what magic?

Well we have plant mesmers who can teleport themselves and others and plant thieves who can shadow step. Since fern hounds are just sylvari made to look and act like dogs instead of humans there's no reason to think they couldn't have the same abilities.

> @"Moonlit.6421" said:

Breeding can cause many changes in the animal. This is how we went from wolves to toy poodles.

> @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> It would be nice to have themed mounts for each race. We already have Norn themed mounts, so perhaps they are already working on skins with Kryta theme, Charr theme, etc.

We have asuran themed too with the exo-suit mounts.

I'm not sure what human themed mounts would be however. Arguably the original ones are human themed, since it's humans who domesticated them all in Elona, but I'm sure Anet could come up with a Krytan set.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > It would be nice to have themed mounts for each race. We already have Norn themed mounts, so perhaps they are already working on skins with Kryta theme, Charr theme, etc.

>

> We have asuran themed too with the exo-suit mounts.

>

> I'm not sure what human themed mounts would be however. Arguably the original ones are human themed, since it's humans who domesticated them all in Elona, but I'm sure Anet could come up with a Krytan set.

Oh yeah, forgot about those Exo-mounts. I only have 1 Asura who is an engineer, and only plays in WvW, so I never thought of getting those.

And I'd say a Krytan set could follow the art theme they have for Kryta weapons / armor, and of course, they could have some fun with messages written on the mounts in New Krytan.

> @"Moonlit.6421" said:

Easy fix. The jackal mounts came out with PoF. Just say "Oh gee - have you noticed how big our hounds are growing now they've eaten X?" where X is some veg that is only found in PoF maps.

> @"Biff.5312" said:

> > @"Moonlit.6421" said:

> > While I know by this point most ppl are gonna yell at me for saying so that does t really fit with their lore though. That would mean that either sylvari hounds randomly started growing a lot bigger for no reason, or that there have always been giant ones we just never saw or the sylvari thought about riding. I suppose from an individual player perspective it could be a rare mutation or strong veteran one that grew larger than its companions but even that is a bit of a stretch. I have mixed feelings about it tbh, as I understand the thematic want for it but can't find a good enough reason to justify it.

>

> Easy fix. The jackal mounts came out with PoF. Just say "Oh gee - have you noticed how big our hounds are growing now they've eaten X?" where X is some veg that is only found in PoF maps.

X = choya, perhaps? I bet they're nutritious.

• 3 months later...

> @"Drakortha.6974" said:

> I would like to add, this could include Sylvari themes of other mounts. Sylvari bunny, Sylvari raptor, etc. I would choose any of those for my mount if I like the style :)

YES PLEASE. Give me Sylvari everything in skins I would love them. Plant Raptor, Jackal, even Skyscale???? Hello yes please. With a Sylvari main and 2 sides, with about 5 more sides planned in the future, I want this dearly

> @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> I want a full set of race themed mounts for all the races. Fern Hound based Sylvari mounts, Golem based Asura Mounts, Spirit based Norn mounts, Steam Engine based Charr mounts, and Watchwork based Human mounts.

Also another major yes. These would be such interesting and unique skins to add to the mix we have for mounts already and would probably do wonders for people who roleplay (I don't roleplay but some people could probably weave it in well into their stories). All in all it'd be wondrous.

> @"Drakortha.6974" said:

> I'm still hoping for this :)

Me too! I know there are lots of players out there who love sylvari and a fernhound jackal that leaps forward in a swirl of leaves instead of sand seems like an obvious perfect fusion! =)

Considering how long it’s been requested by so many, I hope they are planned for release but perhaps being saved for conjunction with a sylvari-focused LW episode or similar! :3

If we don’t gp to Cantha like I want to then I think this Jackal skin would pair nicely with that future “Second Grove appearing in Northern Charr lands or further West in some forgotten Norn kingdom”.

Seeing the dynamic of another race’s homeland being uprooted by an accidentally invasive group of Sylvari sounds like a good time to shove some plant themed mounts onto the gemstore! (Winter themed Sylvari?)