A viable Vanilla PvP build

HeadCrowned.6834

Hello fellow Rangers,

Since last patch I developed a PvP build for ranger that can be used by F2P players, so no need for an expansion. Core ranger was always considered as bad, but I think this build is pretty decent.

The build can be found here:

[gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQRBHhx+0IlKUyiNsgLLw1ihCh67icPA6OY1fBv1jhaH-jphIQBH7EA8t9H42BBAAPAAAeEAiXZAA](http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQRBHhx+0IlKUyiNsgLLw1ihCh67icPA6OY1fBv1jhaH-jphIQBH7EA8t9H42BBAAPAAAeEAiXZAA "gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQRBHhx+0IlKUyiNsgLLw1ihCh67icPA6OY1fBv1jhaH-jphIQBH7EA8t9H42BBAAPAAAeEAiXZAA")

I fared pretty well with it vs more experienced players as well. It can hit nice healing and dmg numbers; my highest dps was nearly 700k in one match. Your main role is a side node contender, but you can bring some nice damage and cleave in group fights as well. However, you are pretty squishy in teamfights. On the other hand, I didnt encounter a true counter in 1v1 to this build yet, except maybe revenant or condi mesmer.

For beginning players without an expansion, this can be a suitable build to start trying PvP with. Its not the easiest ranger build to play, but its worth the try. I am not sure how this build will hold in higher level ranked yet, but I might try it in the upcoming season. Its definately fun to play though :) If you have questions about it, feel free to ask.

Ive been running core ranger for ages now, despite having both xpacs. I use HoT pets though, for obvious reasons, but i believe core is better than soulbeast atm.

I'd suggest a similar build, running longbow and sword warhorn (or dagger) with troll ungent, light. relfexes, quickening zephyr, stone signet & str of the pack.

W. survival 122, nature magic 232, beastmastery 332. As for core pets snow owl and wolf are a good pick. As amu run either marauder or menders (good against lots of condi dmg like mesmers)

Why this over OPs build, is because of the huge access to condi clears (10, as healing -4, all survival skills -2, dont forget your petswap triggers lesser quickening zephyr which also removes 2 condies) and it's steady stream of quickness. Youre mobile as fuck, you do so much dmg and healing (dodgeroll = easy regen), you can disengage and reset ezpz against most classes.

I have the expansions and run a similar build albeit LB greatsword. More quickness options and more shouts. Gotta have sic em and protect me for even more protection uptime.

How does one do without the utility of longbow? is my only question. Such a crutch but dam it is handy. And greatsword an evade on the 1 chain plus a block and a big hitter every 4 seconds plus a stun/daze.

GS/LB in many ways is the easy version of that build. Harrier runes.

Several good variants running BM,NM,WS . definitely endorse people playing around with those 3 tree's and rune combinations.

My current version - http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJATRnUqA1CitCCmsActghJhqDgHfC8JfWz8PIugPG-jZBHQBM8RAAgjAQAvAA9Y/BUWGAA

Just keep the necro at range and beware the mesmer horde......

Haven't tried the leadership runes.

> @"EnderzShadow.2506" said:

> What do vanilla ranger builds do better than Druid? (completely honest question)

Not sure it is better. Its easier to provide active DPS and AOE buffs of vigor, Fury Swiftness regen without effort(Build I use). Protection uptime makes you quite chewy. Rather than staff DPS have bow or GS DPS and can accelerate it with quickness. Lots of quickness uptime with good control of when you get it to layer DPS for burst perception. Weak on mass condition clear strong on over time clearance. Get controlled crit with weapon runes.

Do miss the blast finisher stealth, my ohh hell no escape is Zephyr to get distance reset buffs or lb stealth which can miss. You lack the burst heal capacity of druid and the burst condition cleanse. Basically mitigate damage from front end of fight not back end with big heals and dropping conditions over time. Its a lower skill cap to play it than druid where you have to be more reactive and time avatar and heals.

Shout builds are activate buffs and fight no big heal to time no celestial avatar form to get ready to pop to cleanse. No need to save your pets special for a stealth escape blow it every cooldown for dps and swap for quickness vigor fury condition cleanse. What you time are sick em and quickness to after your opponent pops their ohh no abilities to get the downage. And for aoe buffs not waiting on horn have multiple ways to deliver that you naturally use in fights.

Well played druid better I think. Has the ohh no healz and stealth.

Roll the buffing build I use is suited for is opening swiftness buff(We heal as one) to contested point to fully up fury vigor regen at contested middle point on initial engagement and drop my DPS two pet specials on the priority target with sick em at a good burst moment. Run time with swiftness to all middle points is basically the cooldown of we heal as one. So combat buffer role I guess.

First of all, I forgot that the HoT pets in this build can't be used by F2P players, my bad. Swapping to something like owl/drakehound/wolf would be OK.

> What do vanilla ranger builds do better than Druid? (completely honest question)

Good question. Imo its a bit early to say what will be most effective overall. However, Druids sustain got nerfed while a lot of players now play some form of burst dps (core guard, thief, mesmer, revenant, holo, rampage warriors). Druids can still survive, but holding and kiting a node became more difficult in 1v2. Druids damage is OK, but it generally takes a long time before you are able to kill the opponents side node contenders. Enough time to be +1'd by the enemy. It therefore might be worthwile to try killing your opponent faster in a 1v1, so the opponents +1 actually becomes a new 1v1. Honestly, you can feel the damage buff on axe. It was always a bad weapon because it has no utility, but being able to do more on point pressure (with core ranger or soulbeast) might outweigh the merits of Druid, atleast in certain matchups.

As said, its too early to tell. But ranger seems to have some nice build variety now. Im confident that this build is viable (and also important: fun to play!), but if its optimal; dunno yet.

> @"Arrys.7145" said:

> I have the expansions and run a similar build albeit LB greatsword. More quickness options and more shouts. Gotta have sic em and protect me for even more protection uptime.

>

> How does one do without the utility of longbow? is my only question. Such a crutch but dam it is handy. And greatsword an evade on the 1 chain plus a block and a big hitter every 4 seconds plus a stun/daze.

>

> GS/LB in many ways is the easy version of that build. Harrier runes.

>

> Several good variants running BM,NM,WS . definitely endorse people playing around with those 3 tree's and rune combinations.

>

> My current version - http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJATRnUqA1CitCCmsActghJhqDgHfC8JfWz8PIugPG-jZBHQBM8RAAgjAQAvAA9Y/BUWGAA

>

> Just keep the necro at range and beware the mesmer horde......

>

> Haven't tried the leadership runes.

I tried this out and I LIke it, a lot.

Dmg is good

survivability is good.

Its fast around the map

Lot of quickness

Lot of easy condi removal

it just works very well, very smooth.

This is coming from a die hard druid---I've played all the druid builds and all the variations.

I've tried a number of soulbeast builds, which honestly, feel clunky or too soft.

i just couldn't find anything that worked well.

And yeah, this just works.

Funny this morning i was testing the same build, also trying with lbow/sword/warhorn. I felt like i had pretty good matchups allround ofcourse i have expensian and used hot/pof pets.

Its should be very doable to get high rank plat3/legend on this build.

> > @"Arrys.7145" said:

> > I have the expansions and run a similar build albeit LB greatsword. More quickness options and more shouts. Gotta have sic em and protect me for even more protection uptime.

> >

> > How does one do without the utility of longbow? is my only question. Such a crutch but dam it is handy. And greatsword an evade on the 1 chain plus a block and a big hitter every 4 seconds plus a stun/daze.

> >

> > GS/LB in many ways is the easy version of that build. Harrier runes.

> >

> > Several good variants running BM,NM,WS . definitely endorse people playing around with those 3 tree's and rune combinations.

> >

> > My current version - http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJATRnUqA1CitCCmsActghJhqDgHfC8JfWz8PIugPG-jZBHQBM8RAAgjAQAvAA9Y/BUWGAA

> >

> > Just keep the necro at range and beware the mesmer horde......

> >

> > Haven't tried the leadership runes.

>

>

> I tried this out and I LIke it, a lot.

>

> Dmg is good

> survivability is good.

> Its fast around the map

> Lot of quickness

> Lot of easy condi removal

>

> it just works very well, very smooth.

>

> This is coming from a die hard druid---I've played all the druid builds and all the variations.

> I've tried a number of soulbeast builds, which honestly, feel clunky or too soft.

> i just couldn't find anything that worked well.

>

> And yeah, this just works.

@"Arrys.7145"

I gotta say, I think this is better than Druid and soulbeast. Just my opinion ofc.

But I like how constant it is. It's not clunky, you just play.

By constant I mean, I'm constantly fighting and never CC'd for long.

I used to think being without signet of stone and signet of renewal was a death sentence..

I also used to think sic'em was overkill and took the spot of a good utility.

Nope--it all works well together.

And necros, psh. They can't put out enough condis.

>

>

> @"Arrys.7145"

> I gotta say, I think this is better than Druid and soulbeast. Just my opinion ofc.

>

> But I like how constant it is. It's not clunky, you just play.

> By constant I mean, I'm constantly fighting and never CC'd for long.

>

> I used to think being without signet of stone and signet of renewal was a death sentence..

> I also used to think sic'em was overkill and took the spot of a good utility.

> Nope--it all works well together.

>

> And necros, psh. They can't put out enough condis.

Good to know - try it with leadership runes and menders. I did based on chartfish's and headcrowned's builds. Improves it I think. It also carries marauders decently well but not as survivable.

For anyone with HoT pets i recommend using bristleback as your swap-to pet. I usually stack vulnerability on my target with warhorn 4 and rapid fire, swap to bristleback (who will have quickness and fury) and use F2. It deals so much burst damage- up to 50% compined with rapid fire!

> @"Ashkew.6584" said:

> Also, do you stream or record sometimes, i'd like to see how u play the build.

I don't stream for now. Maybe I will try to record some games and put in on youtube. Im not really experienced with this so I will have to figure out how it works first. But yeah, Im gonna try it.

> @"Arrys.7145" said:

> Good to know - try it with leadership runes and menders. I did based on chartfish's and headcrowned's builds. Improves it I think. It also carries marauders decently well but not as survivable.

Marauder amulet definately works well with the build. Menders is a bit more doubtful in my opinion. If I'd run menders amulet I would go back to Druid.

> @"Arrys.7145" said:

> > @"EnderzShadow.2506" said:

> >

> >

> > @"Arrys.7145"

> > I gotta say, I think this is better than Druid and soulbeast. Just my opinion ofc.

> >

> > But I like how constant it is. It's not clunky, you just play.

> > By constant I mean, I'm constantly fighting and never CC'd for long.

> >

> > I used to think being without signet of stone and signet of renewal was a death sentence..

> > I also used to think sic'em was overkill and took the spot of a good utility.

> > Nope--it all works well together.

> >

> > And necros, psh. They can't put out enough condis.

>

> Good to know - try it with leadership runes and menders. I did based on chartfish's and headcrowned's builds. Improves it I think. It also carries marauders decently well but not as survivable.

So I ran this http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJATRnUqA1CitCCmsActghJhqDgHfC8JfWz8PIugPG-jZBHQBM8RAAgjAQAvAA9Y/BUWGAA

With leadership and menders and I can't tell much difference. They seem pretty much the same.

I don't die often. Usually I can get out of bad situations.

I guess, on paper, the menders with leadership is a little more defensive.

This season just seems so much more favorable to playing offensively and pushing.

The wins are very much onesided. Out of near 30 games, I've only had a few close ones.

> >

> I guess, on paper, the menders with leadership is a little more defensive.

>

> This season just seems so much more favorable to playing offensively and pushing.

> The wins are very much onesided. Out of near 30 games, I've only had a few close ones.

Menders gives you a bit more base crit, higher healing, marginally shorter boon duration on switching to leaderhsip and a bit more health. So it has a bit more offense but your protection is down a bit longer in long fights which generally seems to be more than compensated for by the healing difference and health pool. Basically you get 30% crit chance from it.

• 5 weeks later...

I have some gameplay footage of my build, but I am not able yet to assemble a nice video from it. Don't have the time for that atm. However I was able to play more games with it, so I'm able to reflect on the build a bit better.

The problem with ''meta'' druid (it fell out of the meta imo) is that it can't really win any 1v1's anymore. It can still stale 1v1's and 1v2's, and it still has some nice healing support. But why would you play a side-noder if you can't win 1v1's? The only decent matchup (aside from thief) is probably versus condi mesmer. But warriors, chronos and engi's (and also scourges) are basically non-favourable matchups. This is the reason that Soulbeast became the preffered flavour for rangers, because it actually can kill something.

I don't play soulbeast myself, but from the most seen soulbeast build (longbow + s/w), It seems that it lacks a few things:

- Its sustained damage aint that great. Once you used LB #4 and Longbow #2, there aint so much left.

- Cleaving

- Counter to projectile hate

- Most of them opt for the bird as pet since its soulbeast skills are pretty good. But you'll miss the bristleback pressure then.

- Close-combat possibilities

The core ranger build, despite having some flaws of its own, doesn't have these problems. It allows you to do damage on node. It has cleave. It has sustained damage. It has the unblockable bristleback F2 through warhorn #5. It has more on-node sustain, due to paladin amulet, projectile reflect, blind and weakness application. It has good matchups versus warriors, druids (this build can actually force a druid to leave the node pretty quickly) and is OK versus engi. Soulbeast is better vs scourges, but most scourges generally teamfight so that aint a really big advantage. You can win versus GS mesmers as well, vs condi mes its 50/50. The main problem is Chrono, but thats a problem for everyone. A second problem is condi thief, but you won't see them too much in higher pvp tiers.

Its a fun to play build with decent viability. Really worth the try. Good luck, and feel free to ask any question about the build.