Returning player: Game is REALLY overwhelming

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Edgy McEdgelord.4790" said:

> > Excuse me, please quote the line where I say "not used a website once", thanks in advance. /s

> >

> > The new question would then be - why not use the wiki to educate yourself?

>

> To be honest: i think this game could do *ALOT* better at explaining its mechanics in game. The tutorial the game has now(well since launch) is awful, and the "NPE" which was supposed to help out new players is heavily lacking in explaining mechanics to said new players. For the first year after launch i didnt understand how blast fields worked as an ele player due to them not being explained in game, i knew that they happened, just not what triggered them.

>

> Most of the games ive played from childhood to now, explain almost all their mechanics in game, including the MMOS ive played.

Why not use the wiki though?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Edgy McEdgelord.4790" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > @"Edgy McEdgelord.4790" said:

> > > Excuse me, please quote the line where I say "not used a website once", thanks in advance. /s

> > >

> > > The new question would then be - why not use the wiki to educate yourself?

> >

> > To be honest: i think this game could do *ALOT* better at explaining its mechanics in game. The tutorial the game has now(well since launch) is awful, and the "NPE" which was supposed to help out new players is heavily lacking in explaining mechanics to said new players. For the first year after launch i didnt understand how blast fields worked as an ele player due to them not being explained in game, i knew that they happened, just not what triggered them.

> >

> > Most of the games ive played from childhood to now, explain almost all their mechanics in game, including the MMOS ive played.

>

> Why not use the wiki though?

Thats not my point, i never said i didnt use the wiki, my point is as follows: a game *should* explain all of its mechanics through either a tutorial, or an in game function(fighting games have ingame combo lists for example, strategy games have tooltips that explain what counters what, the best example i can think of is Sid Miers CIV and its in game civilopedia that explains everything.) that doesnt make the players leave the game, period. The wiki should exist(IMO) to look up items, recipes, event locations, lore, etc, not the most basic gameplay mechanics because the game failed to explain them. GW2 does not which in turn means you *have* to use the wiki or some other external website if you want to learn the mechanics of the game, and its a good thing the wiki is detailed because if it wasnt it would be even more painful to figure things out for newer players.