Account suspension discussion [merged]

> @"Vault Girl.6792" said:

> > @"PyrateSilly.4710" said:

> > "we detected that the accounts were running Guild Wars 2 at the same time as one or more of the following programs over a significant number of hours during a multi-week period earlier this year." --- from Gaile

> > That says that they have the proof that they were running them "at the same time" ..... over a "significant" number of hours for multiple weeks.

>

> But "at the same time" does not mean these programs were used to cheat in GW2.

Oh my god... People want hackers gone. ANET does long term analysis on accounts to watch for specific, KNOWN cheating modifications. ANET actions accounts accordingly.

You then cite "well they might have been running them consistently , at the same time they're playing GW2, over the course of multiple weeks and gameplay hours... but were they really cheating?!?"

If it barks like a dog, walks like a dog, bites like a dog, eats like a dog, looks like a dog, it's clearly a honey badger (your logic).

Enlighten us then. What should ANET do to nail these cheaters to the wall? Send an employee to their house to watch them play for the rest of eternity?

ANET just can't win can they? Lol

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> Hello,

>

> I wanted to be sure that folks who are following or participating in this thread are aware that we've provided a lot of additional information this evening in [this post](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/476255/#Comment_476255 "this thread"). I hope that in reading that update, you'll find your questions are answered.

Thank you for clarifying this. But are there any proofs that these programs were used to modify anything in GW2? Because that was definitely not the case with me.

> @"misterman.1530" said:

> > @"Vault Girl.6792" said:

> > > @"Tasida.4085" said:

> > > Here's an idea.......don't use anything. Play the game as is with no extras. Easy peasy and no worry about bans.....Gosh so simple to do. Otherwise those banned more than likely deserve what they got imo and hopefully will know better when their ban is over.

> >

> > How should people "know better" if they have no idea what they were banned for?

>

> If you use a cheat program for any game, you probably used a cheat for GW2...no matter the denials. It's simple...cheat all you want on single-player games, don't cheat on MMOs. I have no issue with the ban.

You should really have a look at this thread. Someone already posted it to advance the discussion but somehow you missed the memo and just rehearsing what everyone agrees on 8 pages back.

https://dd.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/8c2j0y/a_technical_analysis_of_the_spyware_arena_used/

Just to elaborate a bit more, few of the programs Gaile listed are also commonly used in single players, by people who practice the same principle you just mentioned.

> @"Yasi.9065" said:

> > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > Hello,

> >

> > I wanted to be sure that folks who are following or participating in this thread are aware that we've provided a lot of additional information this evening in [this post](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/476255/#Comment_476255 "this thread"). I hope that in reading that update, you'll find your questions are answered.

>

> This is a disgrace. You just admitted to:

>

> a) snooping around on my computer, gathering AND SENDING data to your own servers to do who knows what with

> b) suspending people for having a program running in the background and NOT having other evidence of them ACTUALLY cheating in gw2

> c) being unable to stop hackers without using such underhanded methods.

>

> No, Ive not been suspended. Thankfully due to security risks I have to do my debugging work on a separate computer.

Steam does it. WoW does it. Many other MMOs and MOBAs do it. Not sure if this is any different. What's happening now is you are taking one person's word that it was sending data back to Anet. One person's. That's what, in the TrumpWorld we live in, we'd call Fake News.

> @"Sojar.1495" said:

> You then cite "well they might have been running them consistently , at the same time they're playing GW2, over the course of multiple weeks and gameplay hours... but were they really cheating?!?"

>

> If it barks like a dog, walks like a dog, bites like a dog, eats like a dog, looks like a dog, it's clearly a honey badger (your logic).

As I mentioned earlier, I play some single-player games, open GW2 to do dailies and some fractals, and then return to those games. Why should I close Cheat Engine if I'm going to open it again in an hour?

> > @"Sojar.1495" said:

> > You then cite "well they might have been running them consistently , at the same time they're playing GW2, over the course of multiple weeks and gameplay hours... but were they really cheating?!?"

> >

> > If it barks like a dog, walks like a dog, bites like a dog, eats like a dog, looks like a dog, it's clearly a honey badger (your logic).

>

> As I mentioned earlier, I play some single-player games, open GW2 to do dailies and some fractals, and then return to those games. Why should I close Cheat Engine if I'm going to open it again in an hour?

So you where banned fairly. enough said.

> @"starhunter.6015" said:

> > > @"Sojar.1495" said:

> > > You then cite "well they might have been running them consistently , at the same time they're playing GW2, over the course of multiple weeks and gameplay hours... but were they really cheating?!?"

> > >

> > > If it barks like a dog, walks like a dog, bites like a dog, eats like a dog, looks like a dog, it's clearly a honey badger (your logic).

> >

> > As I mentioned earlier, I play some single-player games, open GW2 to do dailies and some fractals, and then return to those games. Why should I close Cheat Engine if I'm going to open it again in an hour?

>

> So you where banned fairly. enough said.

Cheat Engine does nothing with GW2 or any game unless you tell it to. Having it open at the same time as GW2 will do nothing and this is the entire point Vault Girl is trying to make here. If people were banned by simply having it even if they weren't using it for GW2 then that's a HUGE problem.

> > @"Yasi.9065" said:

> > > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > Hello,

> > >

> > > I wanted to be sure that folks who are following or participating in this thread are aware that we've provided a lot of additional information this evening in [this post](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/476255/#Comment_476255 "this thread"). I hope that in reading that update, you'll find your questions are answered.

> >

> > This is a disgrace. You just admitted to:

> >

> > a) snooping around on my computer, gathering AND SENDING data to your own servers to do who knows what with

> > b) suspending people for having a program running in the background and NOT having other evidence of them ACTUALLY cheating in gw2

> > c) being unable to stop hackers without using such underhanded methods.

> >

> > No, Ive not been suspended. Thankfully due to security risks I have to do my debugging work on a separate computer.

>

> Steam does it. WoW does it. Many other MMOs and MOBAs do it. Not sure if this is any different. What's happening now is you are taking one person's word that it was sending data back to Anet. One person's. That's what, in the TrumpWorld we live in, we'd call Fake News.

>

The fact they banning people without know and just going by "guessing" its being used on GW2 is just absurd.Hackers have been ruining PVP/WvW instead of investigating the players individually Anet does the lazy way and try to get a broken system to "justify" their actions while banning innocent players in the process. I'm pretty sure Cheat Engine is a pretty well known and people usually only use it for Single players RPG.

> > @"Sojar.1495" said:

> > You then cite "well they might have been running them consistently , at the same time they're playing GW2, over the course of multiple weeks and gameplay hours... but were they really cheating?!?"

> >

> > If it barks like a dog, walks like a dog, bites like a dog, eats like a dog, looks like a dog, it's clearly a honey badger (your logic).

>

> As I mentioned earlier, I play some single-player games, open GW2 to do dailies and some fractals, and then return to those games. Why should I close Cheat Engine if I'm going to open it again in an hour?

Seems like you've made a serious error in judgement then. If you're using a program that is literally has the word "cheat" in its name, while playing an MMO... what did you expect to happen?

Any other major MMO wouldn't allow this, via their built in anti-cheating tech. a

ANET does what other game companies do across the industry, and then they are suddenly the anti-Christ.

Even if what you say is true, that wasn't a very intelligent thing to do. Yeah, if you can't take less than 10 seconds to close CheatEngine, and you consistently run it while playing Guild Wars 2, how is it outlandish for ANET to "assume" you're not using it with their game? Leaving it on by accident once or twice... maybe. For multiple hours over the course of many weeks? Now we're getting into the territory of "the reasonable, logical assumption is you're cheating in GW2" territory.

> @"Jerks.3172" said:

> > @"misterman.1530" said:

> > > @"Yasi.9065" said:

> > > > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > > Hello,

> > > >

> > > > I wanted to be sure that folks who are following or participating in this thread are aware that we've provided a lot of additional information this evening in [this post](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/476255/#Comment_476255 "this thread"). I hope that in reading that update, you'll find your questions are answered.

> > >

> > > This is a disgrace. You just admitted to:

> > >

> > > a) snooping around on my computer, gathering AND SENDING data to your own servers to do who knows what with

> > > b) suspending people for having a program running in the background and NOT having other evidence of them ACTUALLY cheating in gw2

> > > c) being unable to stop hackers without using such underhanded methods.

> > >

> > > No, Ive not been suspended. Thankfully due to security risks I have to do my debugging work on a separate computer.

> >

> > Steam does it. WoW does it. Many other MMOs and MOBAs do it. Not sure if this is any different. What's happening now is you are taking one person's word that it was sending data back to Anet. One person's. That's what, in the TrumpWorld we live in, we'd call Fake News.

> >

>

> The fact they banning people without know and just going by "guessing" its being used on GW2 is just absurd.Hackers have been ruining PVP/WvW instead of investigating the players individually Anet does the lazy way and try to get a broken system to "justify" their actions while banning innocent players in the process. I'm pretty sure Cheat Engine is a pretty well known and people usually only use it for Single players MMO's.

Wait... so they should investigate thousands of reports of botting and cheating individually?

You do understand that autonation in the ongoing war against cheaters and botters is 100% necessary right? Even if they came up with the sheer amount of manpower to INDIVIDUALLY track and monitor these cheaters, by the time they banned 10% of them, said cheaters and bot creators would EASILY find workarounds to the methods.

#wouldnotwork

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> Hello,

>

> I wanted to be sure that folks who are following or participating in this thread are aware that we've provided a lot of additional information this evening in [this post](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/476255/#Comment_476255 "this thread"). I hope that in reading that update, you'll find your questions are answered.

Well, that answers that. Uninstalling tonight. I haven't been suspended, I run no third party apps at all, but that's pretty much irrelevant in my book.

I don't appreciate having my security violated-- even temporarily-- under the guise of "foster[ing] a safe and fair community."

> @"juhani.5361" said:

> > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > Hello,

> >

> > I wanted to be sure that folks who are following or participating in this thread are aware that we've provided a lot of additional information this evening in [this post](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/476255/#Comment_476255 "this thread"). I hope that in reading that update, you'll find your questions are answered.

>

> Well, that answers that. Uninstalling tonight. I haven't been suspended, I run no third party apps at all, but that's pretty much irrelevant in my book.

>

> I don't appreciate having my security violated-- even temporarily-- under the guise of "foster[ing] a safe and fair community."

Before you uninstall, can I have your stuff?

> > > @"Sojar.1495" said:

> > > You then cite "well they might have been running them consistently , at the same time they're playing GW2, over the course of multiple weeks and gameplay hours... but were they really cheating?!?"

> > >

> > > If it barks like a dog, walks like a dog, bites like a dog, eats like a dog, looks like a dog, it's clearly a honey badger (your logic).

> >

> > As I mentioned earlier, I play some single-player games, open GW2 to do dailies and some fractals, and then return to those games. Why should I close Cheat Engine if I'm going to open it again in an hour?

>

> So you where banned fairly. enough said.

No, no, They weren't using it for GW2 though. It was just 'on their PC"

That's like saying, "You own gun. Therefore all recent local shootings are your fault".

That's nuts. NOW, if they have evidence that it was USED in GW2, then sure, ban away ANet.

> @"TheOrlyFactor.8341" said:

> > @"juhani.5361" said:

> > > Hello,

> > >

> > > I wanted to be sure that folks who are following or participating in this thread are aware that we've provided a lot of additional information this evening in [this post](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/476255/#Comment_476255 "this thread"). I hope that in reading that update, you'll find your questions are answered.

> >

> > Well, that answers that. Uninstalling tonight. I haven't been suspended, I run no third party apps at all, but that's pretty much irrelevant in my book.

> >

> > I don't appreciate having my security violated-- even temporarily-- under the guise of "foster[ing] a safe and fair community."

>

> Before you uninstall, can I have your stuff?

Too late =) Not like I had any stuff worth mentioning, anyway LOL

> > @"Yasi.9065" said:

> > > Hello,

> > >

> >

> > This is a disgrace. You just admitted to:

> >

> > a) snooping around on my computer, gathering AND SENDING data to your own servers to do who knows what with

> > b) suspending people for having a program running in the background and NOT having other evidence of them ACTUALLY cheating in gw2

> > c) being unable to stop hackers without using such underhanded methods.

> >

> > No, Ive not been suspended. Thankfully due to security risks I have to do my debugging work on a separate computer.

>

> Steam does it. WoW does it. Many other MMOs and MOBAs do it. Not sure if this is any different. What's happening now is you are taking one person's word that it was sending data back to Anet. One person's. That's what, in the TrumpWorld we live in, we'd call Fake News.

>

Conspiracy and political theories aside. I think different companies have different view on how close correlation translates to causation and that's why we see ANet has different ban policy than, say, Valve or Blizzard. We all know correlation doesn't equal causation, but different people will have different stance between two extremes.

Sure I know this ban-wave covers significant amount of hackers that bugged this game for a long time, and nobody will shed a tear for them. But moreover I curious on how they process the information they gathered and how their algorithm determines GW2 and those listed cheating software interacts. This is something worth discussion, rather than brushing off to black and white decision like "you hack in single player so you hack in every game". Unfortunately I understand there will probably be no official statement since revealing the algorithm opens up the opportunity for abuse, but players can still speculate and deduce as a community to prevent false positives.

> @"juhani.5361" said:

> > @"TheOrlyFactor.8341" said:

> > > @"juhani.5361" said:

> > > > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > > Hello,

> > > >

> > > > I wanted to be sure that folks who are following or participating in this thread are aware that we've provided a lot of additional information this evening in [this post](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/476255/#Comment_476255 "this thread"). I hope that in reading that update, you'll find your questions are answered.

> > >

> > > Well, that answers that. Uninstalling tonight. I haven't been suspended, I run no third party apps at all, but that's pretty much irrelevant in my book.

> > >

> > > I don't appreciate having my security violated-- even temporarily-- under the guise of "foster[ing] a safe and fair community."

> >

> > Before you uninstall, can I have your stuff?

>

> Too late =) Not like I had any stuff worth mentioning, anyway LOL

Hey, can't blame me for trying at least. :p

> > @"PyrateSilly.4710" said:

> > "we detected that the accounts were running Guild Wars 2 at the same time as one or more of the following programs over a significant number of hours during a multi-week period earlier this year." --- from Gaile

> > That says that they have the proof that they were running them "at the same time" ..... over a "significant" number of hours for multiple weeks.

>

> But "at the same time" does not mean these programs were used to cheat in GW2.

Sad to see that you were banned. I still know you from old Tequatl days and I believe you when you say that you did not cheat in GW2. Unfortunately running a cheat program in the background while you are online in an MMO or really any game with competitive elements is probably the most reliable way to get banned. It is all but impossible to detect if you actively use the cheat program in one particular online game or if you just left it running after finishing a single player game. You can _try_ and appeal the ban (although they said they do not take appeals), but I am afraid in that case the burden of proof lies on you to show that you did indeed not actively use that cheat program in GW2.

The alternative would be to not accept "running at the same time over a significant number of hours for multiple weeks" as sufficient evidence for a ban and as a result never ban any of the kittenmongers who blatantly cheat in WvW as well.

Personally, I would have two suggestions for Anet regarding this issue:

1. Some kind of startup warning message would be nice - ideally one that can be activated or deactivated - to remind people who use "problematic" software to turn those off before logging into GW2. People are sometimes forgetful or absentminded, and a 6 month ban is a bit harsh for that.

2. Please do not do these purges every year around the same time. Do them more often and in irregular intervals. If you look at the forums where these programs are peddled you can read that a) they know that the detection period was around 3 weeks in march, b) they can tell that no detection is running _now_ and c) they feel safe until the weeks before next year's SAB release.

> @"Sojar.1495" said:

> Seems like you've made a serious error in judgement then. If you're using a program that is literally has the word "cheat" in its name, while playing an MMO... what did you expect to happen?

I expected Anet to announce that they are monitoring processes, and that running such programs in the background can lead to ban.

> @"Sojar.1495" said:

> Even if what you say is true, that wasn't a very intelligent thing to do. Yeah, if you can't take less than 10 seconds to close CheatEngine, and you consistently run it while playing Guild Wars 2, how is it outlandish for ANET to "assume" you're not using it with their game? Leaving it on by accident once or twice... maybe. For multiple hours over the course of many weeks? Now we're getting into the territory of "the reasonable, logical assumption is you're cheating in GW2" territory.

Anet could check whether there are any suspicious activities/changes in GW2 (and I can guarantee there aren't). I understand their reasons for this assumption, but it's just an assumption. I was not aware that running programs unrelated to GW2 can cause any problems (because it's not against the rules), so of course I didn't even think of closing it.

> @"Vyrulisse.1246" said:

> > @"starhunter.6015" said:

> > > @"Vault Girl.6792" said:

> > > > @"Sojar.1495" said:

> > > > You then cite "well they might have been running them consistently , at the same time they're playing GW2, over the course of multiple weeks and gameplay hours... but were they really cheating?!?"

> > > >

> > > > If it barks like a dog, walks like a dog, bites like a dog, eats like a dog, looks like a dog, it's clearly a honey badger (your logic).

> > >

> > > As I mentioned earlier, I play some single-player games, open GW2 to do dailies and some fractals, and then return to those games. Why should I close Cheat Engine if I'm going to open it again in an hour?

> >

> > So you where banned fairly. enough said.

>

> Cheat Engine does nothing with GW2 or any game unless you tell it to. Having it open at the same time as GW2 will do nothing and this is the entire point Vault Girl is trying to make here. If people were banned by simply having it even if they weren't using it for GW2 then that's a HUGE problem.

Actually it does, can she prove she wasn't using a program that was up and running while using GW2? Anet detected the program running while the game was running and following their EULA Vault Girl.6792 gets her ban. be it bad judgment or cheating she is guilty of running a cheat program while playing.

> @"MashMash.1645" said:

> > @"starhunter.6015" said:

> > > @"Vault Girl.6792" said:

> > > > @"Sojar.1495" said:

> > > > You then cite "well they might have been running them consistently , at the same time they're playing GW2, over the course of multiple weeks and gameplay hours... but were they really cheating?!?"

> > > >

> > > > If it barks like a dog, walks like a dog, bites like a dog, eats like a dog, looks like a dog, it's clearly a honey badger (your logic).

> > >

> > > As I mentioned earlier, I play some single-player games, open GW2 to do dailies and some fractals, and then return to those games. Why should I close Cheat Engine if I'm going to open it again in an hour?

> >

> > So you where banned fairly. enough said.

>

> No, no, They weren't using it for GW2 though. It was just 'on their PC"

>

> That's like saying, "You own gun. Therefore all recent local shootings are your fault".

>

> That's nuts. NOW, if they have evidence that it was USED in GW2, then sure, ban away ANet.

But can she prove that she wasn't using it ? Program was running while she played.

so to you it would be like waving your hand gun around while someone else shoots. You will be still be seen as a accomplice till you can prove other wise.

> > @"Vyrulisse.1246" said:

> > > @"starhunter.6015" said:

> > > > @"Vault Girl.6792" said:

> > > > > @"Sojar.1495" said:

> > > > > You then cite "well they might have been running them consistently , at the same time they're playing GW2, over the course of multiple weeks and gameplay hours... but were they really cheating?!?"

> > > > >

> > > > > If it barks like a dog, walks like a dog, bites like a dog, eats like a dog, looks like a dog, it's clearly a honey badger (your logic).

> > > >

> > > > As I mentioned earlier, I play some single-player games, open GW2 to do dailies and some fractals, and then return to those games. Why should I close Cheat Engine if I'm going to open it again in an hour?

> > >

> > > So you where banned fairly. enough said.

> >

> > Cheat Engine does nothing with GW2 or any game unless you tell it to. Having it open at the same time as GW2 will do nothing and this is the entire point Vault Girl is trying to make here. If people were banned by simply having it even if they weren't using it for GW2 then that's a HUGE problem.

>

> Actually it does, can she prove she wasn't using a program that was up and running while using GW2? Anet detected the program running while the game was running and following their EULA Vault Girl.6792 gets her ban. be it bad judgment or cheating she is guilty of running a cheat program while playing.

If there's a program running on anyone's machine that doesn't interact with their game at all then that's none of their business. Banning people's accounts on the assumption that something was being used in their game and they have zero proof that it actually was is very alarming and should be to anyone. Now if they also have absolute proof that the programs in question were definitely used for GW2 then that's fair, but until they say they have such proof then I and many other people are right to cast a wary gaze in their direction regarding this.

> > @"MashMash.1645" said:

> > > @"starhunter.6015" said:

> > > > @"Vault Girl.6792" said:

> > > > > @"Sojar.1495" said:

> > > > > You then cite "well they might have been running them consistently , at the same time they're playing GW2, over the course of multiple weeks and gameplay hours... but were they really cheating?!?"

> > > > >

> > > > > If it barks like a dog, walks like a dog, bites like a dog, eats like a dog, looks like a dog, it's clearly a honey badger (your logic).

> > > >

> > > > As I mentioned earlier, I play some single-player games, open GW2 to do dailies and some fractals, and then return to those games. Why should I close Cheat Engine if I'm going to open it again in an hour?

> > >

> > > So you where banned fairly. enough said.

> >

> > No, no, They weren't using it for GW2 though. It was just 'on their PC"

> >

> > That's like saying, "You own gun. Therefore all recent local shootings are your fault".

> >

> > That's nuts. NOW, if they have evidence that it was USED in GW2, then sure, ban away ANet.

>

> But can she prove that she wasn't using it ? Program was running while she played.

> so to you it would be like waving your hand gun around while someone else shoots. You will be still be seen as a accomplice till you can prove other wise.

Thank goodness none of you guys will be anywhere near the justice system. It's up to the accuser to prove that someone is guilty not the other way around and guilt by association is not one of them.

> Actually it does, can she prove she wasn't using a program that was up and running while using GW2? Anet detected the program running while the game was running and following their EULA Vault Girl.6792 gets her ban. be it bad judgment or cheating she is guilty of running a cheat program while playing.

Can you prove you didn't murder anyone? I'm pretty sure you have some knives, which could be used for stabbing people.

How am I supposed to prove that I wasn't cheating? If Anet has information about files I used in Cheat Engine, they can see names like "Tank_dating_simulator_12345" and not "GUILD_WARS_2_PVP_WVW_CHEATS".

I can understand if someone gets mistakenly banned for one day, but there must be solid reasons to ban someone for 6 months, not just "this program was running at the same time, we have no idea whether it was used for cheating though".

> @"Jinks.2057" said:

> Well over on reddit a user has figured out that Anet installed spyware in an update on 3/6/18 then removed it on 3/27/18. This spyware pretty much looked at EVERY process you had running then sent it back to Anet servers.

>

> So if you have software they deem bad while playing GW2 boom suspended.

>

> This is a HUGE invasion of privacy and we consumers need an IMMEDIATE answer in light of the recent Facebook scandal.

>

> My personal information was breached and the trust I have for Anet has been destroyed.

>

> I'm not posting the link to thread and I'm sure I'll get banned off these forums for this.....but this needs to be said

Not even remotely an invasion of privacy.

You agreed to it the moment you created an account. SOURCE (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/arenanet-privacy-policy/ see. Non-personal Information | also see https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-user-agreement/ Section 7D)

Don't like it ?

Submit a request to have your account deleted.

Ignorance of the terms, is not a valid complaint or criticism once you have been caught with your pants down.