I am trying to move over to another server where my friends are playing. But system seems compliated

Usually in MMOs when you want to play in another server, I can just make entirely new characters, but it seems like I am unable to do that here.

What are the options that I have to play with my friends? I believe that the following are options that I can undertake, but am I missing any other methods or can someone elaborate on how I would best be able to play with my friends.

1) Transfer by paying a gem fee.

2) Deleting all my characters and transferring

3) Just being a guest. But how does being a guest work? Can I continue to guest over and over again to a different server? Do I have to redo it every 24 hours?

4) Making an entirely new account

My friends and I also want to start completely new which seems impossible unless I take step 4. B/c steps 1-3 will still transfer my gold.

Thank you

There> @"Lifefull.2845" said:

> Usually in MMOs when you want to play in another server, I can just make entirely new characters, but it seems like I am unable to do that here.

> What are the options that I have to play with my friends? I believe that the following are options that I can undertake, but am I missing any other methods or can someone elaborate on how I would best be able to play with my friends.

> 1) Transfer by paying a gem fee.

> 2) Deleting all my characters and transferring

> 3) Just being a guest. But how does being a guest work? Can I continue to guest over and over again to a different server? Do I have to redo it every 24 hours?

> 4) Making an entirely new account

>

> My friends and I also want to start completely new which seems impossible unless I take step 4. B/c steps 1-3 will still transfer my gold.

>

> Thank you

>

>

Good news for you is that GW2 is extremely lenient on servers. There is pretty much 0 difference to play with people on different servers unless you really want to do world vs world. If you really want to be on their server then guest works fine and there is no difference. Actually I believe you don't even have to do that now, just join their party, right click the character potrait and click on join on their map since everything works on a megaserver.

This only gets a bit more complicated if you two really want to do wvw together. In which case one of you need to transfer to the other server by paying a gem fee.

Currently (as far as I know) there are only two instances in which your server choice impacts your ability to play with others.

1) World vs World. You can only play with your server in WvW (and the servers linked to yours). If you want to play with friends consistently you'll need to be on their server. **HOWEVER. Last I read this will be changed to be guild-based so just being in the same guild as your friends will be enough, once it's implemented.

2) NA vs Europe servers. As far as I know, NA and Europe can party with each other and talk in party/guild chat but cannot actually be in the same maps and play with each other. This means that if you have friends on both NA and Europe you will need 2 accounts to play with both groups. I would definitely be in favor of allowing us to flag characters as NA or EU and create both on the same account!

Those two situations aside, the rest of the game uses a Megaserver which bundles everyone into the same servers. I believe it has some matching algorithm that tries to put you into maps with party members, friends, guildies, and server mates but you can always right click and join a party member in a map so it's not a big deal provided the map is not full (and if it is then server won't matter anyway!).

> @"Glacial.9516" said:

> 2) NA vs Europe servers. As far as I know, NA and Europe can party with each other and talk in party/guild chat but cannot actually be in the same maps and play with each other. This means that if you have friends on both NA and Europe you will need 2 accounts to play with both groups. I would definitely be in favor of allowing us to flag characters as NA or EU and create both on the same account!

Can confirm. You can use guild chat, whispers, and join parties/squads to chat with people. You can also see where guild and squad/party members are regardless of if they are on NA/EU, but there is no way to join them on a map unless you're in the same region.

> @"Lifefull.2845" said:

> Usually in MMOs when you want to play in another server, I can just make entirely new characters, but it seems like I am unable to do that here.

> What are the options that I have to play with my friends? I believe that the following are options that I can undertake, but am I missing any other methods or can someone elaborate on how I would best be able to play with my friends.

> 1) Transfer by paying a gem fee.

> 2) Deleting all my characters and transferring

> 3) Just being a guest. But how does being a guest work? Can I continue to guest over and over again to a different server? Do I have to redo it every 24 hours?

> 4) Making an entirely new account

>

> My friends and I also want to start completely new which seems impossible unless I take step 4. B/c steps 1-3 will still transfer my gold.

>

> Thank you

Glacial.9516 has given a very thorough summary of how servers work but "step 4" is the only way to start over completely from scratch, otherwise you will keep all your currency (gold, karma and so on), achievement points and any account unlocks like skins in your wardrobe.

If you want to you can of course give your gold away, maybe to some newbies.

Seriously, if you have a personal bank guild, just put all the gold into the guild bank.

But it's just as easy to just "restrict yourself", something like don't use gold on new character, only use armor you get as drops or from leveling up etc. Alternatively allow yourself to buy the white armor at vendors every 10 levels.

As others have said, the only server restrictions are: EU/NA, and WvW (for now). Outside of those you can meet up, or party up and right click "go to this players instance" etc.

It won't matter much longer anyway. Back in January it was announced that they'll be doing away with worlds. It will probably happen later this year.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/26547/world-restructuring/p1

>**Restructuring Worlds**

>This is why, in the new World Restructuring system, we will remove all players from their current worlds, and make new worlds every eight weeks. This will create more granular pieces, which allow us to avoid situations like the Crystal Desert example.

>**Since worlds will not exist any longer, the "World Selection" that currently is available in character select will be eliminated, and instead a selection for playing in either North America or Europe will replace it.**

Meaning, no more server transfers or having to worry about being able to play with your friends, from the sounds of things. (Although, transferring between NA and EU servers will still exist.)

It is kinda confusing though.

>**World Transfers**

>We understand that even though this system tries to keep guilds and alliances together, there will be times during the season when people want to change teams. Because of this, there are plans to allow transfers between worlds during a season. This means that new worlds will have size restrictions on them, as they do currently.

Uhh.......WvW will have seasons like PvP and at the start of the season, worlds will be automatically created with players assigned to them. When transferring to a different WvW world, servers your friends are on will be suggested first.

It seems that worlds will only matter for WvW, and for the PvE part of the game, you'll only need to select what region you're in (NA or EU).

Only World vs World mode requires you to be on the same server in order to play withh eachother. Anything other then that is just a megaserver system putting you and your friends on the same instance. Unless you're on NA and they're on EU but thats a different story.