Graphics settings in GW2

I have a new system and a new graphics card. Before I dive into troubleshooting on things, I'm just throwing this out here to see if there are any settings that might cause what I am experiencing.

First, I'm not stating that there is anything wrong with the GW2 client. Being that the system is new, I'm guessing it is just one of the settings that I am using which is causing what i'm seeing.

On Windows 10, using an nVidia GTX 1070ti. I use GW2 in full screen mode. When using Alt-Tab to change to something like Chrome or any other program, everything functions as expected. When switching *back* to GW2, I'll see the current frame for GW2 (be it a loading screen, or just my character standing where it was when I tabbed out), but the frame will be frozen for around three quarters of a second. This behavior has only occurred for me since changing from a Win 7 laptop with an 800m card, to my new system. Being that the new card is substantially better than the 800M, when I use "autodetect" in the graphics settings, it has a bit more freedom.

Are there any settings (Windows side, or GW2 side) that might be causing this slight hangup when tabbing back to GW2?

Again, I'll stress: I don't think this is a driver/bug/problem issue yet. It's more likely a setting I'm using that is resulting in the short freeze, but I'm asking here in hopes that it's a known result of using a given graphics feature.

Thanks.

> @"Neural.1824" said:

> I have a new system and a new graphics card. Before I dive into troubleshooting on things, I'm just throwing this out here to see if there are any settings that might cause what I am experiencing.

>

> First, I'm not stating that there is anything wrong with the GW2 client. Being that the system is new, I'm guessing it is just one of the settings that I am using which is causing what i'm seeing.

>

> On Windows 10, using an nVidia GTX 1070ti. I use GW2 in full screen mode. When using Alt-Tab to change to something like Chrome or any other program, everything functions as expected. When switching *back* to GW2, I'll see the current frame for GW2 (be it a loading screen, or just my character standing where it was when I tabbed out), but the frame will be frozen for around three quarters of a second. This behavior has only occurred for me since changing from a Win 7 laptop with an 800m card, to my new system. Being that the new card is substantially better than the 800M, when I use "autodetect" in the graphics settings, it has a bit more freedom.

>

> Are there any settings (Windows side, or GW2 side) that might be causing this slight hangup when tabbing back to GW2?

>

> Again, I'll stress: I don't think this is a driver/bug/problem issue yet. It's more likely a setting I'm using that is resulting in the short freeze, but I'm asking here in hopes that it's a known result of using a given graphics feature.

>

> Thanks.

If you want, you can use the settings that I use for smooth FPS:

General options

- Collision sensitivity: Lowest

- Field of view: Max (lower it if you're experiencing FPS issues)

Graphics options

- Animation: Low

- Anti-Aliasing: SMAA Low

- Environment: Low

- LOD Distance: Low

- Reflections: None

- Textures: Low

- Render Sampling: Native

- Shadows: None

- Shaders: Low

- Post-Processing: None

- Character Model Limit: Lowest

- Character Model Quality: Medium

- Ambient Occlusion: Disabled

- Best Texture Filtering: Disabled

- Depth Blur: Disabled

- Effect LOD: Enabled

- High-Res Character Textures: Disabled

- Light Adaptation: Enabled

- Vertical Sync: Disabled

- Motion Blur Power: Lowest

Were you actually playing on Full Screen and not Windowed Full Screen on your previous laptop? The brief freezing when you tab back into a Full Screen game is actually pretty normal for most games, where as this doesn't happen when it's Windowed Full Screen.

> @"Yamazuki.6073" said:

> Were you actually playing on Full Screen and not Windowed Full Screen on your previous laptop? The brief freezing when you tab back into a Full Screen game is actually pretty normal for most games, where as this doesn't happen when it's Windowed Full Screen.

Nailed it. Thank you. I figured it was a setting. :)