PC freezes when loading or spending time in PoF maps.

I'm using the 64 client and I don't/am not using any 3rd party programs. I had some computer issues a few months ago (I don't really remember what the exact issue was, but what I do remember is it all leading to having two backup graphic cards possibly dying on me and being forced to rely on an old one from an old PC Build for the time being). I have not really been keeping track of when this all started, but this was not an issue past (maybe an update has caused this). This might have been a point-less thing to do back then with my PC issues, but I reformatted all HDDs and SSDs and I have only installed the essential programs (especially now that I have lost my free Windows 10 Upgrade). Oh, I have also noticed my SSD (that GW2 is installed on) would vanish from the Windows Directory completely when my PC freezes... would this be a sign that my SSD is dying/failing?

I should also mention that loading into SI, also consumes a ridiculous amount of CPU usage or was it memory... that would freeze my PC for about 1 minute (could be longer or shorter, have not really timed it exactly) before it would load me into the map... I have not tried recently, but that mainly because I have no major reason to go into that map and fear of doing any/anymore damage to my PC.

But thanks for the advice, I'll send in a support ticket and see what they have to say. I decided to ask the community first in hopes of running into someone that had the same issues as me and could offer a solution, plus figure it might be faster.

Recently loaded into SI to test a few thing (loading and to see if my PC would freeze) loading issue is no longer a problem, so thanks for the heads up about that fix... but while typing this with my character sitting in SI, my PC froze... so I can now add SI to the list of maps I can not visit for the time being. I should also add that my PC freezes even while running GW2 Repair (I just wanted to run it to see if it would fix any of my issues, plus I doubt it would cause MORE issues). It gets to about 50% (this is just a guess since I am not watching it the whole time it is running) before I have to force shutdown.

Of course, I will close the ticket (and if possible, this forum topic) if I find a solution to my problem before I get a hold of someone or even while I'm getting help from Tech Support. But honestly, I'm not very hopefully in finding a solution first... this has been an issue that has been going on for a while now. Hopefully this post will grab some more people that once had a similar issue and can offer solutions. I did get a message from someone that had me thinking it would probably be a good idea if I post my current PC Specs:

OS: Windows 7 64bit currently installed, but before I had: Windows 10 64bit (goodbye free upgrade...lol)

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) x 2 = 8GB

SSD1: Samsung SSD 840 EVO = 120GB (OS is installed here)

SSD2: Crucial M4 = 64GB (GW2 is installed here)

HDD: Seagate BarraCuda = 1TB (used for storage and the installation of non-essential programs)

GFX Card: ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB currently installed, but before: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB (might be dead/dying...)

Have you tried moving gw2 to a different drive? Just move/copy the .dat and .exe into the same folder on a different drive. I would try the Seagate since odds are you have more space available there, and a bit slower load times is generally preferable to frequent freezing/crashes.

I had some random freezes, repairs and texture corruptions when my Samsung 840 (also system drive) was nearly full and haven't had any since adding another ssd for program use.

On the windows 10 thing, did you try to reinstall using your windows 7 key? I had heard that win 7 and 8 keys were still working to activate 10 back in january, linking the license to your msoft account would also allow you to reinstall and failing all of that you can run 10 un-activated indefinitely for now at least with a watermark in the corner of your desktop and some limited customization options (with workarounds).

Surprised I never thought about moving the game files to a different drive... thanks for the obvious suggestion to try xD. PC froze while attempting to transfer though... so I am starting to think... it might be a faulty/dying SSD problem (really did not want to admit that…). So I had to reinstall GW2 to the Seagate HDD. Everything seems to be working alright right now (sat in the CO for about an hour now and no freezing), so thanks again for the suggestion (boy do I feel foolish, for not thinking about trying another drive xD and looks like I’ll need to buy a new SSD....

As for the Windows 10 issue, thanks for the suggestion! I just installed it with little to no problem (no watermark or need to enter an Activation key). The only issue I have now though, is I do not have any audio since upgrading to Windows 10… but that is not a GW2 problem.

Silly me for doubting this community xD. Thanks to all that have tried to help and especially No One.3716 for your suggestions. Now… how do I close this topic and the Support ticket…

> @"SoulCaster.4802" said:

> Surprised I never thought about moving the game files to a different drive... thanks for the obvious suggestion to try xD. PC froze while attempting to transfer though... so I am starting to think... it might be a faulty/dying SSD problem (really did not want to admit that…). So I had to reinstall GW2 to the Seagate HDD. Everything seems to be working alright right now (sat in the CO for about an hour now and no freezing), so thanks again for the suggestion (boy do I feel foolish, for not thinking about trying another drive xD and looks like I’ll need to buy a new SSD....

>

> As for the Windows 10 issue, thanks for the suggestion! I just installed it with little to no problem (no watermark or need to enter an Activation key). The only issue I have now though, is I do not have any audio since upgrading to Windows 10… but that is not a GW2 problem.

>

> Silly me for doubting this community xD. Thanks to all that have tried to help and especially No One.3716 for your suggestions. Now… how do I close this topic and the Support ticket…

>

You can close your Support Ticket by replying to the email(s) sent to you with the comment, "I no longer need help".

Good luck.

Happy to help and glad that you seem to have found your problem. So many times technical or other problems can be frustrating; we get too close to them and a set of fresh eyes can point out things we may have overlooked.

For your audio problem try your motherboard manufacturer's website, realtek (if you know the codec on your mobo) or oem if it was a pre-built system.

Thanks for posting back that you fixed your issue, and happy gaming :)

Everything is all good now (just have to get used to the much slower loading, at least until I buy a new SSD). As for my audio issue, it is silly and embarrassing to say but what the heck... all I had to do is switch audio jack on the back of my PC for my speakers... in my defense, my audio was working just fine before the upgrade to Windows 10 and I was get a "vDeck.exe" message on every start up that seems to have gone away now (might have something to do with the drivers the internet told me to download).