"Contact Support" questions

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"evosociety.7042" said:

> @"Gaile Gray.6029"

>

> I would propose you iniate a mail correspondence since you already have my adress.

Actually, I decidedly do **not** have your e-mail or postal address. In this case "you" is me, as in Communications Manager, and I don't have that information, nor will I seek it.

In life, you can do two things: Curse the darkness or light a candle. In this situation, you can help us make things better (and, incidentally, give credence to claims that, at this point, seem nothing more than hyperbole) or you can continue to complain about them, without substance, without virtue, without offering the "proof" that you say you have. The choice is yours. However, we will not engage in further conversation about your allegations when you appear to refuse to help. You can reach me through Forums@Arena.Net, if you care to do so.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> ~snip~

> When someone's account is compromised, they need IMMEDIATE attention. That's the whole point of their email: to determine if immediate attention is needed.

> But, meeting that goal is impossible, regardless of how one interprets the sentence.

>

> My main point is that there needs to be a way to immediately lock the account until more solid action can be taken.

As far as I recall, special attention is given to account breaches, but "immediate" isn't possible. In order to prevent griefing -- and believe me, it happens -- we can't react to an alarm about an account breach *that may not be coming from the account owner.* If an account was locked without any verification, we could have evil doing, where Player A in a tighly-contested tournament submitts a cry for help about their "hacked account" and does it in the name of Player B, their competitor. An

*immediate* reaction would result in the closure of the account of Player B, leading to an undeserved victory for Player A over an innocent party whose account was locked due to their wrongdoing.

Account closures need to be done with care, even if they are conducted as quickly as possible to protect an account. But as you can see, in a real-life example above, closure without some level of verification would be very bad.