Armor Skins

I'm a filthy casual, I played this game a few years ago but decided to pick it up again recently. One thing I have noticed is the real lack of decent armor skins in this game. With the exceptions of a few sets, all of them look bulky and unattractive. I wouldn't really mind trying to mix and match to what I find attractive; but from what I understand part of the fun of end game is to collect skins. But as I scroll through the wiki gallery, man most of the skins look really bad especially the male models. I like my armor to be some what realistic, but most of the armor skins in this game is really out there high fantasy power ranger stuff. The sets are really gimmicky I have to turn off the shoulder because the proportions are ridiculous. I wish Anet would back away from the ridiculous WOW aesthetics and move more towards FFXIV.

You can preview armor and weapons via your bank, wardrobe storage tab, I agree many armor pieces do look bad but if you mix and match pieces from different sets or individual items you can come up with some very good looks, dyes also make a big difference, so point is, don't use the wiki to find armor you like.

Not all skins are like that and the way character models scale you might find the oversized shoulder syndrome reduced if you use one of the less muscular character body types as well.

I also have trouble finding skins I like and often find myself falling back on the same old favourite styles and themes.

My main bugbear is the lack of dye channels for backpacks and weapons, I always find myself trying to match my colour scheme to my backpack, weapons, or class skill effects. This severely limits my potential options for a varied and interesting theme.

I find GW2 has a lot of 'realistic' looking models, and unlike games like WoW, the plain armor doesn't look terrible. If anything I find the real flashy-type armors are locked behind achievements, Legendary crafting and the gem store.

I agree 100% about the armor looking terrible on male characters. My human Guardian is the only male character I have - the rest of my fold are all female, largely because they just look better in pretty much everything in GW2.

Its a 2 part porblem.

They've abandoned skin sets in favor of single concept outfits. They explained this as being easier for them.... but truth be told, its more likely due to limited artist bandwidth for more a more rigorous metrics system the armor set demands.

Secondly, most of the post heart of thorns armor sets were concepted or based on concept art from thier archives. POF noticeablely drew from GW1 designs, and only updated during modeling phase.

With the focus on outfits, and the nwer armor sets being designed as if they were outfits, don't expect any good mix options in the future.

Wait, wut?! So you claim GW2 armor skins are too unrealistic and praise the FFXIV armor skins?

I played all 3 games and FFXIV are more visually unrealistic full of edgy fashion, spikes, glossy colours and "kawaii" modern cloths skins that throws you out of immersion.

Hold on, I'm going to WoW forums and tell about the awful, slow GCD combat system and wish about them move more towards the FFXIV combat system.

(Please get the joke)^