Desktop Flickering and Crashing Fix (With Ticket Response)

Thank you Anet. I left the name out for private reasons. I'm using Win10.

1. First, open the Windows Start menu and type in "MSCONFIG." This will start a search for any "Apps" called "MSCONFIG."

2. The first and only result should be "System Configuration." Left click on this. A new window will appear called "System Configuration."

3. Click the "Services" tab.

4. Click "Hide all Microsoft Services" at the bottom and once done, click "Disable All" (you MUST click "Hide all Microsoft Services" to avoid deactivating essential programs).

5. Click the "Startup" tab.

6. Click "Open Task Manager."

7. A list will be generated of all the applications you have set to start when Windows first boots up. Right-click on these applications one by one and select "Disable." Once completed, click "Ok" to save your changes. This will prompt you to reboot your computer. Please do so.

8. Once you return to Windows, try connecting again.

If you have Avast,

I noticed some discrepancies in the Game Advisor report that could be contributing to this issue. Avast is known to have some compatibility issues with Guild Wars 2. Some have reported that reconfiguring Avast has resolved a similar problem for them, so I suggest that you try and add the following as exceptions:

• Gw2.exe

• Gw2-64.exe

• CoherentHost_UI.exe

The game will still go to the desktop when you first login, but loading screens after that will not flicker.

The issue is the windows "Focus Assistent" function that was added with the latest win10 update (you might have noticed the "This happened while you were playing" notification when you close the game).

What you've essentially done is to manually deny this process to start on boot-up. If you want to simply disable this function:

1. Press your windows button

2. Click the cogwheel for options

3. Enter the Systems category

4. Click the switch on the "Focus Assistent" option

Your game should no longer have any trouble loading without sending you to desktop, and you don't really miss out on anything by disabling this option as it's more of a convenience tool.

Of course if the issue persists you should follow the steps you provided to identify what might be the cause, and for Avast users this will probably be beneficial in a vast majority of cases anyways.

The reason the response ticket team asked you to do this specifically is because it helps them rule out causes of your problem. Remember you have now deactivated every non-windows process from running on startup, even those you might find useful or convenient. I usually go through them manually myself once in a while to see what I need in order to optimize startup, so you can safely turn these back on one by one until you find the one causing your problem, then leave just that deactivated.