New player seeking guidance

Hello. I'm sure this question has been asked 1 million times so I'm sorry but this forum looked to be the place to start. I started playing the game last Thursday and purchased both expansions on Friday night. Since the expansions came with a boost to 80 I used one to boost a necro to 80. To say that I am lost is an understatement. I have done some quests/tasks, and accepted something that had a cut scene and ended up earning me a raptor mount. I came from WoW where I played from release through the following ten years. I have an idea of how MMORPGs work but there is so much I feel like I missed by jumping in to this game so far in that I am wondering how to get going. I don't want to quit because I know lower levels are pretty barren this far into a games release or full of speed runners running alts but I also don't want to float aimlessly. Any resources that have a good comprehensive review for new players? I appreciate any feedback. This game really seems interesting and I'm looking forward to learning more about it.

The most-given advice for players completely new to the game is actually to not directly use a boosted character, since doing so (and directly going into the expansions) puts you directly into the endgame - and since GW2 is much more skill-dependent than anything (esp gear) else, the lack of experience will lead to your exact state of confusion.

My recommendation to you would be to start a 2nd toon and go through the whole levelling process: it will teach you the general mechanics of the game and how you can build & trait your character (once you figured that out you'll quickly become more accustomed with your boost character as well) - as a bonus you can even use the raptor mount on that 2nd character as well, since its an account wide unlock.

You don't have to fear 'barren maps' at lower levels either: the mega-server structure together with the downscaling mechanic of the game (with some big events & world bosses also in lower level areas) pretty much guarantee people in any map (during prime time at least) - you can usually even ask around in mapchat if you're stuck with something or need help/advice.

If you actually feel ready for endgame content I'd suggest to set your own goals and work in that direction: you can just play the personal story (from core, LS &/ the expansions) which will lead you through the respective maps, start preparing for instance group content (dungeons [not too popular anymore], fractals & raids - these actually will require you to properly gear up), try the PvP modes or go for certain collections/achievements to get that nice look you spotted somewhere.

> @"Shailyn Slay.7234" said:

> The most-given advice for players completely new to the game is actually to not directly use a boosted character, since doing so (and directly going into the expansions) puts you directly into the endgame - and since GW2 is much more skill-dependent than anything (esp gear) else, the lack of experience will lead to your exact state of confusion.

The other thing to remember is this, @"fizzlle.5729": GW2 doesn't have any tier of gear more powerful than ascended, or any level past 80, and so for two expansions and three and a half living story cycles all the endgame players have had that stuff while they play.

That means that when ANet scale up the challenge of something, they do it by making the enemies smarter, giving them more powerful or aggressive skills, and things like that. So, running around endgame content, especially PoF and LS4 content, kind of has this assumption that you have completely mastered the basics of the game, such as dodging, defensive skill use, etc.

The other thing to know is this: GW2, unlike WoW, scales you down to match the zone level, but gives rewards that match your character level. So, if you want you can literally go back to the starter zone with your level 80 necro, and play through the game from them as normal. You will get decent rewards, and while you will be a bit more powerful than a low level player, it isn't "one-shot everything", and you can still die from pulling too much, etc.

So ... you can just go play through the base game, personal story, etc, right now, if you want.

> @"fizzlle.5729" said:

> Any resources that have a good comprehensive review for new players? I appreciate any feedback. This game really seems interesting and I'm looking forward to learning more about it.

Start from the beginning as a level 1 character. You are right that saying you're lost is an understatement. It's better to start from the beginning and learn how to play the game rather than skipping a lot of content and eventually giving up. Trust me, it's better that way. Being level 80 instantly diminishes content and you won't have anything to do.

Start with either warrior, ranger or necromancer. These are the most beginner friendly professions that can help you learn the game. Most zones are designed to be played in order to level up so you can continue to the next zone. I recommend you also do the personal story along with the HoT and PoF story. Every time you enter a new zone where you have to do your next story mission, complete the entire zone and then do the mission.

Crafting is what you'll need if you want to have the best gear. Berserker stats with scholar runes are your best bet for the highest possible damage. In general, when it comes to crafting you should have at least one crafting discipline for armor and one for weapons. For example, if you're a warrior you need armorsmith for crafting heavy armor and weaponsmith for crafting greatswords, swords, axes, shields etc. You don't need any more than two crafting disciplines per character.

The maximum level is 80. If you see players with golden numbers next to their names, that's not their character level, that's their mastery rank. Also, if you're in a zone that's below your characters' level, the game automatically scales you down to that zone.

While the other advice in this thread are great, I also believe in learning by doing. Because yes the pre level 80 stuff can be a grind. So my suggestion is:

- Find a guild that can get you acquainted with the game and willing to help you learn, preferably with people who you can group up with for various content.

- Make sure you get a full set of atleast exotic armor (go for identical stats on all pieces) in order to cope with the endgame content

- Start with the HoT story, learn the enemy mechanics. This will help alot when you begin PoF

- In the beginning, start with doing some world bosses, low lvl fractals, dungeons and such, throw in a little unranked PvP if you like. When you feel confident on the mechanics, you can move on to bigger things.

You will have a harder time than most by spending a booster and diving off the deep end, but just pay attention to how npc enemies work, find a decent build and gear, learn what your skills do (this means read the tooltips and understand how and when to use them) and it will be smooth sailing in no time.

The best advice I can give though, is to find that guild. It gets alot easier when you have friends who are veterans at the game that can teach you the ropes, while having fun along the way.

(To get going in a nutshell: Keep the exotic armor and build the booster gave you, open up your hero panel (press H), find the story tab on the left hand side, pick the story step "Rally To Maguuma" and follow that green star until completion)

Necro on the other hand is the only class imo when boosted you lose nothing. Use it to farm your mounts, gold, strait forward class. Easiest one in the game. My advise would be make the second class that you wanna try and level it properly trough maps or pvp (you can pvp from lv 2 in gw2). I don't think there is a guide on gw2 as it such a large game with layers and cherry on top. Better ask bit by bits when you feel you need some help.

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> The other thing to know is this: GW2, unlike WoW, scales you down to match the zone level, but gives rewards that match your character level. So, if you want you can literally go back to the starter zone with your level 80 necro, and play through the game from them as normal. You will get decent rewards, and while you will be a bit more powerful than a low level player, it isn't "one-shot everything", and you can still die from pulling too much, etc.

>

> So ... you can just go play through the base game, personal story, etc, right now, if you want.

That is crazy! I like the suggestions of rolling a new toon and doing the story but I worried about learning a new class while having a boosted necro. This is very helpful and kind of mind blowing!

> @"Shailyn Slay.7234" said:

> You don't have to fear 'barren maps' at lower levels either: the mega-server structure together with the downscaling mechanic of the game (with some big events & world bosses also in lower level areas) pretty much guarantee people in any map (during prime time at least) - you can usually even ask around in mapchat if you're stuck with something or need help/advice.

I was VERY worried about barren maps and leveling mostly alone. This is great info. Thank you!

> @"Hoodie.1045" said:

> Start with either warrior, ranger or necromancer. These are the most beginner friendly professions that can help you learn the game. Most zones are designed to be played in order to level up so you can continue to the next zone. I recommend you also do the personal story along with the HoT and PoF story. Every time you enter a new zone where you have to do your next story mission, complete the entire zone and then do the mission.

Many people are saying to roll a 2nd toon and level. Your suggestion of which class to play on a second toon is very helpful! Thank you.

> @"fizzlle.5729" said:

> > @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

>

> > The other thing to know is this: GW2, unlike WoW, scales you down to match the zone level, but gives rewards that match your character level. So, if you want you can literally go back to the starter zone with your level 80 necro, and play through the game from them as normal. You will get decent rewards, and while you will be a bit more powerful than a low level player, it isn't "one-shot everything", and you can still die from pulling too much, etc.

> >

> > So ... you can just go play through the base game, personal story, etc, right now, if you want.

>

> That is crazy! I like the suggestions of rolling a new toon and doing the story but I worried about learning a new class while having a boosted necro. This is very helpful and kind of mind blowing!

Want something even more? Because of that level matching, events like world bosses in level 1-15 zones are *still* really popular, and lots of people show up for them.

GW2 doesn't have any "dead content" like WoW does. Those old expansions, and the core, are still rewarding, still challenging, and still fun because of the first two. :)

Oh, and almost all progress is account-wide, so you can play alts without worrying that you penalize your main. Not all: crafting skills, map completion, and hero points for skill unlocks are per-character.

You also get enough hero points at level 80 that you will unlock literally every possibly skill, and enough in the expansions to unlock the elites fully and quickly. So, you can't make a wrong choice while you level up: in the endgame, everyone has access to everything. No need for a "levelling skill choice" guide to stop you screwing up your endgame character by not taking that critical low level trait or anything.

Finally ... seeing another player is, by design, never a bad thing. You can't kill-steal, or steal a harvesting node, or whatever. Everyone gets equally rewarded for a kill they contribute to, or an event. Everyone gets to harvest the same node. So ... you don't have to feel bad when you see someone doing an event, jump in and you both get *more* rewards from it, because more enemies spawn, and you likely both kill them all, thus more xp and loot.

Welcome to GW2. You may never want to leave. ;)